Mackie HR824 Floorstanding Speakers

The HR824 has been designed to be a completely neutral instrument for the analysis of your creative output. The HR824 in action really is a revelation. The stereo sound field is wide, deep, and incredibly detailed. High frequencies and midrange are clean and articulated. Low frequencies are no more or less than what you recorded -- you can actually hear the distinct tonal qualities (and harmonic quantities) of a particular bass instrument -- instead of just a "generic" bass note. Most important, the sweet spot is a broad, three-dimensional area that gives you room to move up, down and across the console. In short, instead of having its own distinctive "sound," the HR824 sounds like the outputs of your mixer.

Submitted by James Cebedo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2011

Bottom Line:
These monitors are awesome! I don't even know why anyone would spend money on audiophile speakers if you can get these monitors! Super accurate from 37hz to 20khz+. It really does go down to 37hz. Completely non fatiguing even at high volumes. It is powered by its own internal amplifier i believe 150w for the woofer, 100w for the tweeter. there are balanced and unbalanced inputs. A true bargain! I would say they are pretty much equal to the sound quality of the Sennheiser hd 600 headphones.

The speakers I have owned and listened to in the past: Paradigm Mini Monitor (1 year) - Sound Dynamics RTS-3 (2 years) - Dynaudio Contour 1.3 (1 year) - Sound Dynamics RTS-3 modified (9 years) - Mackie HR824 (current)

Submitted by old_s13 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
My friend composes music with these, ever since I saw & heard them, I fell in love. These monitors have a very unique sound, very clear... very natural. They do exactly what they are advertised to do: reproduce sound accurately.

I've had my share of high-end audio and still have nice equipment at home. However, I needed something for my office. I know its overkill, but thats just me. I decided to pick up a set as you just cant go wrong with these monitors.

Purchased At:   Used/Craigslist

Submitted by Robin Sayer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
I'd been extremely impressed with Mackie mixers which are incredibly clean sounding units which are ideal for digital studios - so I was confident that these active monitors would sound better than the Alesis Monitors that I'd been using for some years. However I was not prepared for quite how astonishing the difference was when I first powered these babies up. Albums that I thought I knew well were like listening to them fresh - instruments which were inaudible previously now all leaped into focus and the clarity across the entire frequency spectrum was a true revelation.
These near field monitors are by far the best investment I've made in my studio - and everyone who listens to them is amazed at how their favourite tracks are suddenly given a new lease of life.

Purchased At:   Dolphin Music

Submitted by neoT-Bone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
When critical listening is paramount, these speakers get the job done. I used them for years in College (go Columbia!) along with speakers twice their price or more--Genelecs, Tannoy, Adam audio--and these baby's held their own. They are considered the minimum for professional mixes with their transparent high's and fairly flat lows. It helps that the woofer is 8.75 inches across and it goes flat down to 37Hz! + or - 1.5db 37Hz to 20Khz.

Purchased At:   AMS

Would you use Makie HR824 in you HT setup?

Just curious. Good ole, studio monitor vs "speaker" question. My buddy has a pair of HR824's and they're incredible so I'm wondering what other people think about them :)Read More »

DIY Speaker Grille for HR824 am I crazy?

I really like these flipping monitors but my wife would neuter me if I brought them into our home because it doesn't have any grilles. Good ole WAF down the drain me thinks. I'm looking to wall mount them so they have to look good up next to the tube. Any ideas on how to improve the looks of th ... Read More »