M&K S-100B Floorstanding Speakers

Music/Home Theater Speaker

Submitted by Thaluza a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I wrote this review because I have seen several of the MK S-100Bs go on sale on eBay recently. This speaker is one of the lesser known speakers in MK's lineup. It is also one of the best music speakers, IMO, that MK makes.

These speakers are real gems. I first discovered these speakers by purchasing a pair of used S-100s (the older model without the "B"). I got a good price on eBay and figured that I could re-sell them for close to what I paid if I didn't like them. As soon as I hooked up the S-100s, what really struck me was the amazing imaging that they presented. It was as though the instruments and singers were in my room, placed exactly where they would be if they were performing live.

Well, I liked the S-100s so much that I ended up buying 3 S-100Bs for my front left, right and center speakers. I put the S-100s in the rear.

Besides great imaging, the S-100Bs (and S-100s)present a slightly warm, detailed, clear sound with a neutral to slightly forward soundstage . The S-100Bs, combined with my Lexicon DC-2 preamp/processor and Marantz amp (the amp probably is the main contributer of the "warm" sound), gives me the sound that I like, in spades.

I recently A-B'd the S-100Bs with a pair of Dynaudio Gemini speakers that I have in a second system. Now, I am not a professional audio reviewer, and my techniques may be, and probably are, flawed. So, take my findings with a grain of salt.

My first test was with my digital home theater system consisting of the Lexicon and Marantz components. What I concluded is that the S-100Bs are the hands down winner for both home theater and music listening when played with my Lexicon and Marantz components. The bass from the MKs, when combined with my Definitive ProSub 200 subwoofer is tighter and more controlled than the Dynaudios (which were tried with and without the Definitive subwoofer). The Mks are also much more clear and detailed with more of a "you are there" sound.(IMO). The sound might be described by some as "bright" but to me it is an enjoyable, fun type of bright. I like the sense of "being there" that the MKs impart.

The Dynaudios are not exactly slouches, though. They have silky smooth tweeters and midrange drivers that are less fatiguing than the MK tweeters and midrange drivers. In the end, it will depend on your tastes; you say tom-a-to, I say tom-ah-to.

I also tried the two sets of speakers with my analog integrated amp, a Musical Fidelity A300. This really isn't fair to the MKs because I don't have a subwoofer in this system. In this system, my Dynaudios really come to life. The bass of the Dynaudios is much more tight and controlled. Nonetheless, the MKs do quite well in this system too. The imaging, detail, and clarity are still there.

I think that the S-100B is an incredible speaker, especially if you can get it for around $700. Bear in mind, though, that it is imperative that these speakers (as well as all other MK speakers) be paired with a decent subwoofer, which will drive up the effective cost of the S-100Bs if you do not already have a sub in your system. On the other hand, you won't need to spend big bucks on a subwoofer to get great sound. My S-100Bs sound great with my $325 Definitive subwoofer. The S-100Bs are highly recommended!

Purchased At:   Convoy Audio Video

Submitted by piece-it pete a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
Awesome, awesome, awesome! This is for the S-100 Center channel- woofers on bottom, shielded. Goodbye, murky vocals & murky bass!! I'm just a wannabe - don't have the cash - but I've been piecing together systems since I was 10. Clean, crisp highs & clear lows (it's not a sub but jeez - for a small speaker) makes my whole A/V system sound better! If you can find these rare speakers run don't walk! If you know of any used ones pls let me know - cause I'm going to replace my speakers with these (as I can afford it).
Another thing I like is the adjustable mid/high- it was easy to tweak the sound to my existing setup - without harshness. I'm not a salesman - just very!! pleased.

Purchased At:   internet

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I listened to many, many speakers before deciding on these.The only measurement I performed on these speakers is whether they are pleasant to listen to, and of all the brands I auditioned, they beat everything hands down. The clarity and crispness of the sound was exceptional, and I am now replacing my old surround speakers with M & K, as well as the sub.

Submitted by Donald E. Pensack a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have 5 S-100b's in a Dolby-Digital(AC-3) surround system with an M&K subwoofer. I had a pair of S-100b"s in a stereo system before that. They are magnificent speakers when kept within limits. They were so flat(when measured with a pink-noise generator and calibrated microphone) that no equalizer is necessary. Like most speakers, they roll off a little at the high end, but a couple dB of boost at 20K will flatten the sound, though when using all 5 at the same time, the extra amounts of reverberated high frequency sound can make flat sound too bright. When playing at levels above 100dB, the speakers begin to sound a little raspy(several different amps were used, and several different sources), though not intolerably so until the SPL read 110dB! At more normal levels(say75-80dB with peaks to 95)these are smooth, musical, non-fatiguing speakers and compare favorably with the very most expensive dynamic speakers made! In surround-sound movie-watching, they are awesome, and truly impart the you-are-there phenomenom with a vengeance. If you want excellent satellite speakers for music or video, you will be hard pressed to do as well--for any amount of money! Recommended!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Paulo Teixeira a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
M & K S100-B are the best speakers I owned in a very long time. They provide clean, clear sound and a beautifull cabinet design. Paired with a MX-125 they become a match made in heaven!