M&K LCR-55 Floorstanding Speakers

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Small Shielded Satellite

Submitted by annguyen251 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is for the LCR-55 MKIII Center Channel speaker.While I am waiting to get the 750THX complete system, my Yamaha RX-V1 requires a center rear speaker so I bought the LCR-55 MKIII for my rear center. This small center speaker is AMAZING!!! The regular cost is $265.00 at authorized dealer. I hooked it up as a front center with a pair of BOSE 301 for the front L/R. The sound produced by this center is truly clear, crispy, and strong. This speaker is excellent. Strongly recommended.

Purchased At:   ebay auction

Submitted by james a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2002

Bottom Line:

Being my first major loudspeaker purchase, I demo'd as many systems I could. The goal was <$2000 (on speakers) exellent hometheater with good musical qualities. M&K performed the best. I purchased 5 LCR-55s with the V-75 Mk II sub. These were matched to a Denon AVR3200.

Three years later I'm still getting comments on how good this system sounds.

Purchased At:   Magnolia HiFi

Submitted by Paul C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm very happy with these. Maybe its my age, but I appreciate a speaker more with good treble and mid-range reproduction qualities than their ability for intense bottom end. Besides, isn't that what dedicated subs are for?

With these, I now remember why I enjoy smooth jazz so. You should also know they dish out vocals very well indeed. I use them in an HT system where they perform as expected but it is with music I feel they shine. Like most, placement is critical, and speaker stands are a must.

Don't hesitate if contemplating purchasing these, you'll be glad you own them whenever and however you use them.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Mike a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
As a fan of M&K speakers, I really appreciate clear and accurate speakers that let the listener pinpoint all the little details in music and movies. For the money, this is the best speaker system (with subwoofer) in the under $2,000 segment. The system would be ideal for small to medium rooms. The compact size of the speakers make placement in a room a lot easier than larger models. This is just a solid system with very good dynamic range. I would highly recommend getting a M&K or Velodyne subwoofer with this system. I would rate this system a 9/10 for movies and 7/10 for music. For the money, it's an excellent value.

Submitted by Frederick a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
I went to the store today after looking through many reviews and deciding to audition some KEFs, the Q15.2s. I listened to various KEF models and some Polks and then I asked the salesman if he knew of anything in the store in thae same price range that was comparable to the Q15s. He said well, maybe the M+Ks. He switched them on and the difference in the apparent size of the soundstage was surprising, the music seeming now to come from different point between and on either side of the speakers. Also, of course the high end was much more pronounced. These speakers are from California, so I guess it's no surprise that they exhibit the typical CA sound also seen in Infinity speakers, very forward with boomy bass.
After bringing them home I have listened to several different CDs, both pop and classical. The sound is nice and open with classical music and do sound good on most pop recordings, but I still sometimes hear some deficiencies. I think I may need to upgrade my Onkyo receiver. Contrary to popular belief, good amplifiers are much harder to find these days. They tell you everything sounds better because it's DIGITAL. What a load of nonsense for suckers. In 1980 I bought a Pioneer receiver for $320 that had a huge toroidal transformer and two soda can sized capacitors in the power supply. It sounded amazing, it had muscle for instantaneous transients and 15 Hz bass that would make you jump out of your skin. It's power bandwidth was 2 Hz to 100,000 Hz +/- 0.5 dB. Try to find that in a receiver these days. I have read that some $2000+ B+K receivers have toroidal transformers, but I haven't seen the insides of one so I don't know if they are as big as the one in my old Pioneer. I even drove a friend's Martin-Logan Sequels with them and he was amazed at how well it drove those current hungry panels. Even accounting for inflation I think good amplification is more expensive now.

Anyway these are good speakers, I cannot resort to the shameless hyperbola that other reviewers slap on these pages. I am the only reviewer here who hasn't heard every speaker in the world so I can't tell you that they are AWESOME!! and BLOWS EVERYTHING ELSE AWAY! They did have some sonic characteristics I appreciate but use your own ears and audition new speakers in your home with your acoustics and equipment before you make up your mind.

I don't give fives, nothing is perfect, especially a pair of loudspeakers. You guys should stop just giving ones and fives. It makes all these reviews meaningless. If you don't believe me just click on sort by rating. You have a huge long list of perfect speakers. Then open some of those and see 67 fools who all said "These speakers ROCK!" or "These puppies KICK ASS!" and you will know you are reading babble by some idiot adolsecents on crack who spent too much time watching TV meant to rot your mind until you vote republican.