M&K S-85
Description: Home Cinema / Hi Fi Speakers

Submitted by recordude a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2009

Bottom Line:
5 star speakers in all respects. These smallish monitors are just fantastic on all material. Dynamic, open, spacious. I use them with a 12" M&K sub and they have pretty much blown away all the other speakers I auditioned. I a/b'd them against Proac, Dynaudio, Kef mini monitors and I chose these. They do require a high end head unit to make them sing however. I have a Krell power amp with a Audio Research tube pre and they make beautiful music together.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by ski2xblack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2007

Bottom Line:
Bought these from M&K's online store, cosmetic B stock (but I could not find a single blemish on them) for $399.

Nothing compares for the price I paid. These speakers have no weaknesses, unless you consider the necessity of a sub a weakness. They are small sealed speakers with a natural rolloff beginning at about 80 hz, so a sub is required. That being said, these are phenomenal speakers. Highs are extended but not bright, midrange is extremely accurate, and instruments sound as realistic as I have ever heard from artificial reproduction. The detail these convey is remarkable, a very analytical sound, but at the same time exceedingly smooth and non-fatiguing. Excellent dynamics, can play surprisingly loud for such small speakers, and perform best with juicy amps. Very good dispersion characteristics, and razor sharp imaging. I've only heard this sort of sound from mega-expensive monitors (Status, Dynaudio and such). That these can be bought for under $400 with no sales tax and free shipping is just ridiculous.

They do have a kind of Dr. Seuss appearance (the cabinet is a trapeziod, with only the top and bottom being parallel.) In addition to helping reduce distortion causing standing waves within the cabinet, this creates a natural toe-in of L and R channels, and, if used above or below a video monitor placed horizontally, to direct the sound at the listening position. This works well for my setup, but other's taste may differ.

The black finish is painted on, has a granular texture, and is handsome if somewhat recording-studio looking. The front baffles have foam pads glued on in strategic locations, which according to M&K improves the sound, but it also, in my opinion at least, makes them look better with the grills attached. I could not detect any sonic degradation with the grills on.

Purchased At:   http://www.mksoundst

Submitted by Lonch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have two pair of these for sides/rears in my H.T. set up. I use the S-125's (see my review on the S-125's) as my three fronts. I'll say i could easily use the S-85's up front but the 125's have just a hair more dynamics with the second midwoofer. I could go on and on about how much I like M&K's. I also have two M&K subs MX-150THX. Awesome combo! If your main concern is Home Theater like me, M&K rules! They sound so real when you watch a movie. Another nice part about them is you can have real high end equipment or just sub-par, and they will give you a great presentation. EX: sound great on my Lexicon/Rotel system and my friend has a pair on his Denon 100w Receiver which also sounds good. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Sound Advise

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've used a pair of S-85's as my front channels for about 9 months now, and they are amazing. These speakers will not lie to you; what you hear is what the microphone heard. These speakers do really well with string instruments and horns. When listening to string instruments, it sounds like you are sitting right in front of the musician. Most of the time (if it's a good recording) you can even hear the musicians fingers striking the strings. Horns are very vivid and sharp as well. The brightness of the brass really shines through. One reason these speakers are so sharp is because the drivers are amazingly fast. A perfect test of the speed of these drivers is in the federal building lobby seen of The Matrix. Every bullet can be heard very distinctly.

One disadvantage of these speakers is that they don't really extend to lower frequencies. I believe they are rated 87-23000Hz +-2db. It takes awhile to find a good frequency for the sub to pick up where these left off. Once you get it dialed in, you won't notice it at all.

The speaker construction is top notch. Like most (if not all) other M&K speakers, these do not have any ports to create a false sense of bass. The inside is stuffed with insulation to keep the sound in the cabinet to a minimum. The shape is trapezoidal, so there are no resonating frequencies inside the cabinet.

All around, I highly recommend these speakers for anyone who is looking into getting into hi-fi sound without spending a lot of money.

FYI: Current system includes a M&K V-75 Mark II subwoofer.

Submitted by Bill Thomson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
After auditioning various speakers from Paradigm, Polk,
Klipsch and Infinity I heard these little gems and in a
matter of seconds knew they were coming home with me.
Probably the best demonstration of what these speakers can
do for audio and HT are accoustic guitar and gun shots.
Highly recommend you audition them with a demanding CD
and DVD. I am using these speakers for front and center.
My sub and surrounds are M&K MX-105 and M&K Surround 55s respectively. I am driving them with a Denon AVR-2800 (85 WPC)and this receiver/speaker combo is more than enough
to fill my 250 square foot room with loud clean sound.
The only drawback is that the speakers like to be placed
at least 2 feet from any reflective surface. Suspect this
is true of most speakers however.