LINN Espek Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

The new Linn Espek is a stunning, powerful, floor-standing loudspeaker designed to give thrilling, no compromise, pitch accurate performance in two-channel and multi-channel applications.

Submitted by mjptexas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
The Linn Espeks replaced a pair of Martin Logan Sequel IIs that had been in my system for about 12 years. I really, really liked the Martin Logans, but a major remodel of my listening room into a listening room/home office rendered them unuseable. I needed to replace them with something that you could actually listen to 'off axis' (my main listening chair sets in the sweet spot, but my desk is off to the side of the room and against a wall), so back to the world of dynamic (read box) speakers.

I listened to Dynaudios, PSBs and the Linns. I really liked what I would call the smooth response of the Espeks. What really amazed me was how smooth and tight the bass was.

I have been listening to these speakers for a couple of years now (I'm posting the review because I just wrote up reviews on some new components I added to my system) and rate what I would call 'listenability' to be very good. I have a pretty eclectic taste in music and have yet to find anything that the Espeks don't do justice to.

In addition to the solid bass I mentioned earlier the Espeks a have very smooth highs. Linn has done a nice job of making sure all the drives play well together.

I find the Espeks to be a little more forgiving as to room placement than some speakers I've had(such as the Martin Logans). Its my understanding that this is a Linn trait so if your listening room layout is less than ideal you may want to audition these speakers.

I have had speakers whose performance seems to change based on playback level. I have not had that problem with the Espeks. They produce a pleasing, integrated listening experience from soft levels to very loud levels.

Purchased At:   Audio Systems

Submitted by Racercarp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I don't consider myself an "audiofile" (I use the word enthusiast), but the new Linn Espeks make me want to be! I listened to ALOT of speakers before purchasing these (with a set of Katans for rear surround and a 5120 center). I thought I had my mind made up on a used set of B&W 802's (new ones were out of the question) which sounded incredible. I brought my wife in to the local Linn dealer in Bellevue, WA to see (and hear) the B&W's (after all this was a major purchase). She was not too impressed with thier looks or sound! We were shown a set of Linns lower end speakers which didn't do it for me (they were ok) but I noticed the good looks of the new Espeks from across the room. The salesman demo'd them for us and the sound was incredible! It was as if we had entered a jazz club where someone (very good) was playing live. It was very warm and mello, not forward at all with detailed mids and highs, and the bass, oh! the bass! The bass was incredibly tight and quick and very good extension. This was the speaker I had been searching for.
After getting them home, set up and run in, I've noticed that they are sensitive (or revealing) to source components and cables. I've tried very many cables and determined that Nordosts Blue Heaven work well with the mids and highs (this is in bi-amp mode) as does Analysis plus Silver Oval. These silver cables really awaken the highs and make them sparkle! Before with copper cables I thought they were a little laid back. A good beefy copper cable such as AP oval nine (or even twelve) or Nordosts super flatline works very well for the bass.
Eventually I will get these into Active mode and really get some awesome sound. Until then I will enjoy my modest system with great looking and sounding speakers which have a huge WAF!
System consists of:
-Toshiba HDTV Sat recvr.

Purchased At:   Def Audio

Submitted by rolon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
They are much better than the 5140's. Smoother top end and mid, stronger bass and better imaging. The differences are
not subtle. CD's that sounded poor on the 5140's, sound good on the Espek's. I always blamed the recording. I was wrong. ....well, the recordings aren't really very good otherwise they would have sounded better on the 5140's, but the Espek's make everything sound good, relatively speaking. I run them in active mode with an all Linn system.

Submitted by Chris LaVoy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Upgraded from 5140s and run active. Substantial improvement over 5140s, espcially in bass which is faster and far more solid. New fabric tweeter better than old ceramic job; smoother and far more resolving. Merits of old 5140 were debatable based on preferences, but the Espek is hard to criticize; Linn has created a speaker on par with the other biggies in this price range (Thiel, B&W, Revel, Vanderstein, etc.), which will satisfy those with more traditional audiophile tastes. There are certainly better speakers, but you have to spend a lot more money.

Purchased At:   Sounds Like Music