Linaeum Model 10
Description: Ported design w/ 8-in woofer and dipole tweeter

Submitted by CLM811 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
Amazing soundstage from 8" two-way system; height, width and depth beyond physical position of speakers. Treble smooth, detailed. Totally "boxless" sound.
Image stays put regardless of listener position. Highly recommended!

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by Bryan Cooper a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 5, 1997

Bottom Line:
I found this brand today at a local dealer (Soundscape in Santa Rosa, CA) as I am trying to put together a system. I am currently researching speakers and finding what sound qualities I find exciting. What impresses me is the overall sound quality and the physical presence. I heard several of the Linaeum models, and they all had excellent sound in the high to mid-range. The "tweeter" speaker they sell is in a ribbon format which is almost 360 degrees or cylindrical in shape.
In the various configurations, this speaker really worked best in their
tower format, e.g. the Model 10. They place it on top of the tower. I am planning to hear their "Tower" model next, which is lower cost than the Model 10. They had another older Linaum model, but even at twice the price it was not as dynamic sounding as the Model 10. The Tower model was off the floor since a customer "couldn't wait" to take it home.

I heard their bookshelf speakers, which sounded good, but did not have the full spatial effect. I felt their bookshelf sounded as good as any I've heard just recently.

The Model 10 lists for $2500. The bookshelf was $500-600 I think. One older discontinued model was $4000. Their other models had a wide range in price as well.

So far, the B&W Matrix model 803 has a similar spacial quality. I believe this
was due to their placement of their tweeter on top of the tower as well as the overall high quality of their tower, their research into their bass, mid-range and metal tweeters. These were quoted to me at another store at around $2200.

I am listening to a few bi-polar systems which sound good as well.

Here's some more information I found on the web today:

Linaeum sells their ribbon tweeter now to Radio Shack, which uses it in a lower cost bookshelf. According to some other people who have heard it, they love the tweeter but feel the bass is poor or that the cross over to the bass is inadequate. One person upgraded his Tandy/Linaeum system by changing the internal electronics and filtering out the lower range (<100 Hz) to eliminate
distortion on higher volume. Other folks loved the tweeter but didn't like the distortion on the bass.

Linaeum also is now selling this same ribbon tweeter to Toshiba which has recently configured it into a surround sound system.

I was unable to find any reviews or information about the Linaeum line itself except a few favorable reviews of the Tandy speakers. I feel this is possibly due to the relationship with Tandy and that probably Linaeum is going to put their primary effort now in maintaining their distribution through Tandy and Toshiba.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener