Legacy Audio Focus Floorstanding Speakers

4.31/5 (121 Reviews) MSRP : $5200.00

3 12-in woofers, 2 7-in midbass, 1.25-in mid, ribbon tweeter

Submitted by Donald Eaton a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have owned the Legacy Focus for 20 years (1993-present) The bottom line: very disappointing in claims, quality control, build quality and internal components, including drivers and cross over parts and most of all, performance. These are a very poor value. Claim: subwoofers built by Eminence to Bill Duddleston's spec. Fact: they are stamped steel frame off the shelf Eminence Eclipse W1238R that sell for $61.00. The so called transition woofer is also the same Eminence Eclipse. The ribbon tweeter that is supposedly Audax is actually marked Aura made in Japan. Could not identify the dome tweeter. The Etons were genuine. There is no evidence of Cardas wire. Inside the speaker is a mess: sloppy unfinished surfaces, magic marker on crossovers. No foil inductors, no metalized polypropelene capacitors just low grade stuff. After I owned the speakers for a while I noticed the woofers missing half the mounting screws. I drive these speakers with a McIntosh MC 275 50th ann. or Anthem P-2 amp and Anthem D2 processor with an Oppo 105 for source. I have had total freedom to position them at the best spots and they sound OK but not high end. Since I just finished constructing my second pair of monitors with Scan Speak Revelators, my wife said "the ones you made sound better than the big ones" (read Legacy Focus 20/20). That caused me to go into the guts of the Legacy and see what was in there. It was reviews like the one in Stereophile magazine that led me to purchase these speakers. Having just read it again I get the impression the reviewer was naiive and did not probe deep enough. I can't in good conscience recommend these or any Legacy product unless they have dramatically improved their quality. I consider myself to be reasonable creditable as I am a retired Navy Rear Admiral, an Engineer with a masters from George Washington University and retired professor from the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey, CA I flew A-6 Intruders in Viet Nam and directed all logistics support for Navy and Marine Corps Aviation until I retired. I recommend that all who have written here, take another look. I think mendacity prevailed in the brochures, reviews and interviews that pertained to the Legacy Focus.

Submitted by Aargonaut a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2012

Bottom Line:
Price paid: $1800 from Van Nuys Pawn Shop

Equipment:

HK ST-8 Turntable (Linear Tracking - Rabco Arm)
Pioneer DV-578A Universal DVD/SACD/DVD-A Player
Carver C-1 Preamp
HK Citation 16A (Upgraded diodes in Power Supply)
Legacy Audio Focus Speakers

For the several detractors of these speakers, I refer the reader to the stereophile review of the next generation of focus speaker

One reviewer below said these speakers sound "boomy." In my opinion, this is because these speakers produce an amazing amount of bass. They are essentially a subwoofer with 3 - 12" woofers combined with a large satellite unit. They are solid down to the bottom octive. I'm not in love with Diana Krall, but I picked up a copy of her "Best Of" album. Audio stores love her because (I suspect) of her clean, if less than exciting, female vocals combined with well recorded "real" instruments. On "I've Got You Under My Skin," the upright bass actually appears to get stronger as it goes down the scale towards the bottom of its range.

The reviewer below also said he feels the midrange sounds like a PA. I understand his complaint -- there is a slight hollowness to the midrange which you stop hearing when listening to the music and not the midrange. This is offset by the detail these speakers exhibit. When listening to "Something In The Way She Moves Me - James Taylor's Greatest Hits - the guitar sounds a bit too "twangy."

By comparison, I have a set of Infinity Kappa 9s in my home theater system. (Integra 40.2 pre/Oppo Blu Ray player/Harman Kardon Citation 22 and Signature 2.1 amplifiers). When listening to a jazz guitar such as Larry Carlton or George Benson, the Kappa produce a smooth silky OMG this is beautiful guitar. Still, when listening on the Focus, they sound better.

These are very large speakers, weighing about 175 lbs each. They produce a large scale image. Stereo imaging is very good, with solid placement of the instruments and the ability to produce the dynamic range of a full orchestra.

Some audiophiles prefer a thinner sound such as produced by B&W. These produce a large, lush musical landscape. As Bill Dudleston, the founder of Legacy Audio, said, these speakers aren't designed for audiophiles, they are for perople who listen to music.

In summary, these are extremely listenable to speakers, and probably the best value in a speaker on the market.

Submitted by cmonfils a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
Sorry but I have to tell the truth. Dont buy these unless you just want to show them off for the size of them or all the pretty speakers and colors. Yes I had quality gear running them and did try many different set ups but they all had the same result poor sound!!! Midrange was the worst, sounding like a PA speaker without any detail or space to the music. I would not buy this speaker at any price unless you dont care about sound quality and more about nice furniture.

Submitted by greg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
The Focus 20/20 redefined my music listening,Im bi amping one unison integrated amp and one coda (same mfg.) Im very sory I dont really subscribe to watt rating because a 30 watt Jolida rocks more than 500 watts of xy or z brand name amp. So I really dont know the watts Im using,I think 100 watts will sufice to claim. Im using 12 ga. bulk wire from radio shack . and very much needed high bit (24 ) cd /dvd/sacd player.. the patrica barber "companion " cd is sacd and its BREATHTAKING. you can hear hers and not your own. I dont think rock projects well from them ..but when blue note does a recording its the a real experience ...I will never go back to listening to bad speakers and dont know of better,unless you want a subwoofer and a pair of Whispers and double the price. and watt requirement. and have a crane to set them up with.

Purchased At:   a factory rep,Jason

Submitted by Brian Trhlin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is for the FOCUS 20/20. I smile whenever I look at them and just knowing their incredible sonic competence whets my appitite for a prolonged listenting session! I have owned Infinity Betas, Genesis 201s (updated ribbon and bass amp) and, most recently, Revel Salon Ultimas. Each of these speakers was spectacular overall and had its own major strength. Where the Focus 20/20 is so unique is that it comes very close to the major strenghs of each of those great speakers and does it at a small fraction of the cost of any one of them. THIS IS THE FIRST AUDIO EQUIPMENT FOR WHICH I HAVE EVER PAID FULL PRICE!!!! I'm talking 30 years of buying used gear, dealer demos and and on the rare occassion of buying new, wheeling and dealing until I got an acceptable price. Yes, I could have waited until I found a pair and bought off the internet, but for only $6,400 + tax, I was able to order the custom curley maple finish we wanted, own them brand new out of the box, support my local dealer who allowed me to audition them hours and hours on end, delivered them to my house and took care of me when I had a minor problem early on. The 20/20s repesent such an unbelieveable bargain, I felt that even at full retail, I was STEALING them! Legacy and Bill D. deserve a fair profit for what they've pulled off. If that's not a testament to one of most crowning acheivements in audio, I can't think what is. I have NEVER, ever paid full price for a piece of equipment in my 30 yrs of supporting this great hobby.

Describing the 20/20s sound isn't a challege - GREAT! Deep clean tight bass, never boomy (I use a Steridan for base optimization - HIGHLY recommended). The sound at my listening position (approx 12 ft fm spkrs, toed in so no side cabinet visible, 13 ft apart center-to-center) is totally coherient, solid center images, deep sound stage and width well beyond the speakers and, on some recordings, the room walls. What surprises me most about the 20/20s how much they remind me of the Maggies 3.6 on vocals. Absolutely finger-walking-up-your-spine realism! Holly Cole, Jennifer Warrens, Arron Neville, et. al. give a private concent in your listening room. Deep solid, tight bass and the effortless realsim of ribbons/panels in one affordable gorgeous speaker. This is a major accomplishment! I drive them with a Sonic Frontiers Line 3 into a pr of Power 3 monoblocks (220W). I've used up to four 600W monos to drive previous speakers, the high efficiency of the 20/20s have never audibly stressed my tube amps and I like to listen at whatever the live level would be for the acoustic source - which can be very loud at times. Overall, there are only two or three audio products I've owned that truly delivered on the cost/performance expectations I had for them when I made the purchase decision. The Focus leads that small group. The Betas and the Power 3s are the other two. I confess, I've been an audio snob. Friends have been telling me for years to audition Legacy. How could speakers so low priced be cabable of TRUE high end sound??? I prejudged that yeah, they may be good to someone moving up from mid-fi but, hey, I was in the "HIGH" end and how could a $6K a PAIR - not even each! - speaker meet my expectations? Well, I stand humbled and awed. And the true test - I had to put my money where my ears fell in love. I compared the Legacy's against everything I could audition up to $20K. Don't get me wrong, I like many of the speakers I listened to, I just could no longer justify the price differntial. I keep coming back to the 20s, transducers that cost less than my CD player. All my doubts notwithstanding, I have always trusted my ears and once again let them guide me. I have not looked back. Legacy has really pulled off a stellar coup and they are to be congratulated. It's not one of the typical cases where they are great sounding but of questionable quality, no they are great sounding AND full of premium components; its not that they are technically outstanding but of mediocre finish - they are technically outstanding AND have an beautiful, wife-pleasing hardwood finish with intricate cabnetry - there just isn't any obvious compromise in this speaker, especially in its sound! It has to be rated as overall superb. I look forward to many years of listening pleasure, and I doubt anything else will my attention for quite some time. Well, except maybe the Whispers.... Naw! I'm a happy camper.

Purchased At:   L&M Custom Home Elec

Samsung Focus win 7 OS

First off let me just say that I am not tied to my phone neither is my life, but I just used my free upgrade from my older Samsung Jack to the Samsung Focus. And I could not be more please,surprised and awe struck, this thing is about as fast as my computer and organizes things better. I kept with ... Read More »

Dynaudio focus 110 - amp requirements

Hi Everyone, I could use some advice from anyone familiar with the focus 110's. Can a rotel 1062 integrated push this things at low to moderate listening levels? I won't need loud volume, but just want the detail and fullness at lower levels - but im not sure if the rotel can provide it with th ... Read More »

Rotel RA 1062 - can it drive focus 110's? Please Help!!!

Hello Everyone - I have a rotel 1062 int. amp in a small office: 12' X 12' and am looking for and listening to small monitors to fill the room with jazz/classical etc...at low to moderate listening levels. I absolutely love the Dynaudio Focus 110's, however im concerned about my amp not being ... Read More »

Dynaudio Focus 220 vs Gallo Ref 3

Any thoughts on these particular models or on Gallo sound vs Dynaudio sound in general?Read More »

Shootout: Paradigm Signature S2 vs. Dynaudio Focus 110 vs. B & W Nautilus 805

Hello to our fellow audiophiles, Shootout: Paradigm Signature S2 vs. Dynaudio Focus 110 vs. B & W Nautilus 805 Here are three bookshelf speakers from renowed world-class makers. We need expert input and insight as to virtues and strengths of these three different designs. We need to determi ... Read More »