Klipsch Reference RB 5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (46 Reviews)

2 way alum. drivers.

Submitted by manlystanley a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2008

Bottom Line:
Bought these speakers off Criagslist on the strength of others reviews. I'm putting in a home theater in my basement and and the cheap speakers that came with my Denon AVR-587 just didn't do the job

Even to my very untrained ear, these speakers are exceptional. The sound great at: low volumes, and high. Also, the cherry wood is beutiful.

If you can get these speakers--buy them. They blow away anything else that I own.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Submitted by DR a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am using these fine speakers in a 2 channel setup, with MC30 amps, Mc712 pre, and a TDK cd recorder run through a Camelot Arthur v3 DAC. All I can say is that they are truly a great speaker at any price. Oh sure they may not be able to put out as much as a floor standing model, but using them with a sub is very close. The sound stage is wide & deep, voices are "in the room close" , and bass is very good down to about 40hz.
Efficiency is every tube amp owners dream, and these certainly bring out the best in the Mc30 amps. Bi-wiring with homemade wires really added another level of performance to these beauties. 5 stars all the way.

Purchased At:   Goodguys

Submitted by elcomp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
The first time i wrote a review on the rb-5's was when i just bought them and i was usting them in a home theater system with harman kardon produckts.Now i have had them for 1 1/2 years and have switch back to two channel audio, I use electrocompaniet pre amp, power amp and cd-player and the ksw 15 sub, and now i feel that i finnaly have reach the potessial of these speakers, they are now better than ever and the soundstage and clarity of the sound has improved extremely much, I thin these speakers are ment for two channel audio not budget home teather .

Purchased At:   local hifi store

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Clarity, precision and good looks. That descibes the Klipsch RB-5II. The cherry cabinets are beautifully built and solidly put together. But the sound...wow! I have been putting together a system in my family room over the past couple of years and have finally arrived at a point in which I am very pleased. I am not unfamiliar with audiophile sound and equipment. That is probably why it took me so long to arrive at Klipsch. I own Magnepan speakers (upstairs in master bedroom) and owned Tannoy - Revolutions, R2, R1 and RC. The Tannoy's were downstairs in my home theater set-up. We also listen to alot of music there as well, and while the Tannoys are very musical with great neutral reproduction, they did not shine during movies. I auditioned many speakers during the past couple of years, listening to Vienna, B&W, Definitive and many others. But the Klipsch kept demonstrating to me a clarity and value that could not be overlooked. I listen to classical, jazz, smooth jazz and rock and these perform brilliantly (keep in mind I listen to my "Maggies" upstairs alot as well). I now have the following home theater set-up:

Klipsch RB-5II
Klipsch RB-3 (rears)
Klipsch RC-3II
Polk PSW-300 sub
Denon 2800 DVD
Denon AVR2802

These speakers are not bright. They are accurate. Audiophile grade.

Submitted by lcpguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
See my old review from November 2000. All the plusses still apply. These speakers are just awesome and wear well on you with age.

I have been listening to even more vinyl records on my Denon DP-47F turntable with a Grado Gold cartridge. My, still pristine, old Blue Note jazz recordings are just awesome. Life like, smooth with tremendous impact. Classical music is just gorgeous. You'd think you have a "real" piano in the same room. Both male and female vocals are fantastic and liquid smooth. Try Joan Baez's Diamonds and Rust for a good example of what these can do with female vocals.

Well, they're goin' on two years old and I like them better than my previous review indicated.

Purchased At:   BrandNamez