Klipsch KG 2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

2-way bookshelf, horn loaded tweeter, 8"woofer and rear firing 10" passive radiator

Submitted by Ian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got a pair of Kg2's from my grandmother, along with a NAD 3155 amp and Onkyo Turntable.
Now, first off, these aren't $2000 JBL's, nor are they Advent Loudspeakers, but they're not Radio Shack stuff either. I listen to alot of art rock like Pink Floyd, and the guitar solos come out beautiful. Crisp, clear, and full of tone. Then comes the rich, taught bass from the woofer and rear mounted passive radiator. Unfortunetly, since it lacks a mid-range driver, it doesn't have fantastic mid-range or sound stage.
These speakers, in my small bedroom, really rock. I can play them nice and loud for rock, and they also do jazz well too. Overall, a nice speaker for med-fi or even hi-fi system.

Submitted by Daron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
Despite the long list of weaknesses, I love these speakers. I bought a pair in '90, but they were stolen a few years later. I'm finally in a position to replace, and jumped on a pair of KG2.2's that are being shipped as I write this.

There was one problem I had with them that I never heard of anyone else having. I hyperextended a woofer 3 times. I was driving them with a 65 watt Onkyo receiver, but every couple of months, I would blow a woofer. Dealer always replaced under warranty.

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by Kris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I had these for 13 years before I got tired of how they sounded. I now use them for my HT rear channels.
I didn't realize how much I was missing in my music until I upgraded to speakers with some midrange presence.

The soundstage sweet spot for these speakers is about 6 inches wide.

Purchased At:   audio king in 1987

Submitted by Ken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
They really are surprisingly good for their size or regardless of size. When put on stands away from wall a proper amount you appreciate the passive radiator (or am I just hearing the driver, I don't know) The bottom end is not boomy but correct) I had these for over 10 years including some abusive college years they have never missed a beat. They don't image quite as well as I believe they should or wish, probably because of the midrange being a little weak. But overall a very good speaker for Rock, Jazz or in a home theater if set up properly.

I have used with the following components:
Hafler Amp DH220 (115 wpc) w/NAD Pre-Amp replaced by Marantz SR5000 (100 wpc)
Luxman D111 CD Player replaced by Sony DVD

Purchased At:   HiFi Buys in Atlanta

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought a set of KG-2's in 1984 as part of a new audio system I was buying. Teamed them with an NAD 25wpc receiver and a B&O Turntable. One year later added an NAD CD player. Have only the KG-2's left. Have had a hard time finding anything to replace them with. An overall excellent sounding speaker with excellent bass response for their size. The usual Klipsch excellent high end. Not the greatest for developing a deep sound stage, but Klipsch speakers aren't known for that anyway. I'v kept these speakers in 'like new' condition through many moves and guess I'll keep them till they bury me. They are now in my bedroom, since last year I finally moved up to the Phase Tech Teatro 10 towers for my main A/V system. A great mid size speaker.

JMLab Chorus 707s vs. Klipsch KG 2.5

Hi. I know this is a long shot, but can anybody offer a general comparison between the JMLab Chorus 707s and the Klipsch KG 2.5? Asides the fact that the Klipsch is way older. :D CheersRead More »