KEF Q90 Speakers Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (20 Reviews)

Submitted by bigx5murf a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2017

Bottom Line:
I found a pair of these at a thrift store for $25. One had a broken binding post, and missing terminal bridge. I messaged KEF to see if I could still buy the parts. KEF sent the parts free of charge. So right off the bat, amazing customer service from KEF.

For a couple of months, I used these, bi-amped, in my 2 channel rig (anthem avm20 + pva7). During this time I compared them to my previous 2 channel favorite. A mashup of NHT speakers, being fed separate signals from mnidsp (NHT SB1 for highs, 1.3 for mids, and SW10 mkii for lows). The NHT mash-up may've been more neutral, and maybe had a bit more detail in the highs. But these KEFs held their own, and offered better vocal clarity (if a bit more forward in the mids). KEFs won easily in terms of a larger sweet spot, and imaging.

Recently I've been using these in my HT setup, I found a KEF reference 100 center to go with them. They replaced an Acoustic Research holographic imaging LCR setup (M2 + MC1).The KEFs are superb in this role, the forward mids really improves dialog ineligibility, without having to turn the gain up like I did with the AR setup. I was also able to set my crossover lower, which tightened up the bass as my subwoofers had less to handle. It did take some manual tweaking, my AVR wanted to cross these over at 40hz (which matches their advertised specs). But I found I preferred these crossed at 60hz (Had the ARs crossed at 80hz). Also wanted to note, the height of these are just perfect for me, tweeters were exactly at ear height when sitting on my couch. Even when standing up, I don't hear phase issues until I get within 5 feet of the LCR.

Submitted by Andrew_S a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I recently bought a pair of these 2nd hand of Ebay for £175, what a bargian. I knew about them because a friends dad had a pair new way back in 1994. He was also a professional DJ which may give you an insight in to what they are good at.

Listening to them again I'm astounded by how good they are, there is simply no comparison to my (now outgoing) Rega R3's. Bass is deeper, firmer with more layers and plenty of power - believe me as a 3 way floorstander these aren't low on bass output - but it's tightly controlled and focussed. The real beauty of these however is how all the elements fit together into a cohesive natural whole, producing a more natural sound stage than I've heard from other speakers. Most speakers I've owned have been very good at filling the space between them but not as good in the vertivle plane, hence why some sound at their best when your sat on the floor! The Kef's go beyond this and sound relatively the same almost wherever you are within the listenning space - ie when standing.

Aside from the sound producing hardware (drivers are crossover) the materials are typical of the 90's and relatively cheap by today's standards, ie black ash laminated chipbaord and internal foam sheet. However the finish is good (no visible joins) and the cabinets feel incredibly well branced and rigid. I also like the look, which is similar to the reference series from the same era. What they don't share is internal (foam surrounded) bass drivers - so less to go wrong.

Buy with confidence, these are amazing sounding speakers at any price, if you can live with the look - you have a bargain.

Submitted by arkeologist a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought these on ebay for £72 plus £15 carriage the cabs were a bit tatty and the cloth was loose on the grills but supposedly they worked fine. when they turned up they were exactly as described. and they work just fine. talking as a guy who used to run a pair of quad electrostatics with a 33/303 combo i think I know good speakers. they are knocking on a bit but if you can get a pair at reasonable money you will NOT improve on them with out spending very serious money in my opinion. the best speakers ive owned bar the ESL`s. buy some if you want serious quality on a shoestring. I cant praise these speakers enough.

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am very impressed with these speakers. I bi-wired them first thing with plain 'ol Radio Shack 12 g speaker wire using the A and B speaker terminals on the receiver. Upgraded from Sherwoods that I have been using for decades. Listening to digital Duke Ellington and his orchestra is a delight now. The clarinets are sharp and clear without being harsh, it's amazing. The piano harmonics are easily heard. No listener fatigue. No need to crank up the bass on the amp either. When these speakers handle the complex sounds of an orchestra so well, I know they can handle anything.

Purchased At:   craigslist

Submitted by rjymatt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have owned a pair of Q90's since 1992 and I have listened to a lot of other speakers since,but these are still the best. I walked into a pawn shop last week and they had a set of Q90's they looked a little ratty but I bought them for $200.00 WOW !!! what a deal ,I cleaned them up and put new grill cloth on them and they look and sound new!!! In my opinion after listening to these since 1992 they are a wonderful speaker if you can find a used set for under $500.00 you'll be hard pressed to find anything that compares unless you spend thousands more.

Purchased At:   Store