KEF K160 Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

2-way 8" woofer w/ passive radiator, acoustic suspension

Submitted by Smallfortunebas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2017

Bottom Line:
Found a well-cared for pair on Craig's List, and have to admit that it's helped me enjoy my music again. I am running a Nakamichi TA-2A receiver and a Technics carousel cd-player on this system, and it is a marked improvement over the Infinity bookshelf speakers I've been making do with for the last year or so.

Acoustic-based music (jazz, rock, bluegrass) really shines in this set-up; as does classical music. It is a little dark and bassy for harder rock and reveals the distortion that has been a culprit in overmastered cd's. Though these are weaknesses in the source material rather than with the system. My Pat Metheny, Larry Coryell, and Bela Fleck cd's came to life. I really enjoyed Pearl Jam and R.E.M. on this system. Conversely, cd's from Metallica, Loudness, and Kreator needed some tonal adjustment (negative bass and flat treble control) and actually benefited from a 20% reduction in overall volume/loudness. Though the biggest sonic improvements I've noticed since the switch to KEF K-160's was from Jethro Tull, Oregon, and Garcia/Grisman... where the acoustic instruments, slight percussion touches, and woodwinds popped from a relatively warm and full sonic bed.

I can handle computer speakers, phone streaming, and iPod through headphones for about a half-hour before getting fatigued; whereas I've been enjoying much longer listening sessions since adding the KEF's to my stereo. Realizing that this was initially issued as part of a budget-friendly series; I remain ever impressed by their durability, versatility, and overall quality. If you can squirrel a pair off the usual trade sites for $200 or less, it is well worth the effort.

Submitted by Manoraj a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
Sounds very good, doesnt need monster amp.

Submitted by Pike Bishop a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought these new about 20 years ago,the dealer gave a discount (500 dollars)Great sound,they compliment any music.

Submitted by keviinmc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
Outstanding speakers. Very nice warm sound to them. i push them pretty hard sometimes and they never fail me. not a whole lot of bass, but i wasnt looking for a ton of bass b/c i already have a subwoofer. highly recommend if you can find them.

Submitted by Arnold a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
Best stereo imaging I have heard and works equally well for home theater. Brought back the fun in music for me. Too bad I can't find more to have a matching set all around for my HT.

Purchased At:   local dealer