KEF Q15

Submitted by Linas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2015

Bottom Line:
I know I am 12 years late with the review, but still :)
I have bought KEFs Q15.2 after reading the positive reviews about them being excellent for vocals and jazz and non-demanding in terms of room placement. I wanted to replace my Jamos E350 which come from around the same year and cost only about 140 EUR when new thinking KEFs will be a step up. However, I am totally disappointed - the Jamos are clearly better in all aspects, including vocals and Jazz. I've tried the regular recordings as well as audio test CDs - in all cases KEFs are clearly inferior. Even though the specs of KEFs say they reproduce lows from 50 Hz and Jamos - from 55 Hz - the test frequency recordings showed Jamo actually reproduced from 31 Hz. Non-existent bass is the biggest problem for these KEFs. However, the praised mids are not good too. Bi-wiring also did not help. I am disappointed and will keep my Jamos.

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I use these speakers for my home audio system, not a home video or surround system as many do. I find these speakers to match well with my system, though I suspect they may not have enough bass for some tastes. My system, (Arcam Alpha 8R and Arcam 8SE CD player), has a decidedly "warm" sound to it and I think this matches well with Q15.2's. A brighter system, however, may not marry well with these speakers.

Overall I find that they are spectacular for jazz and classical. Brass instruments and vocals, (particularly female), give me goosebumps. They are very good, though not spectacular, on hard rock tracks - though this may have more to do with the Arcam kit than the speakers.

Also, they are front-firing exhaust so you can back them into a bookshelf or up against the wall if necessary.

Submitted by BigBird a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the Q15.2 and this seams the best place for it.

I purchased these for my rear surround in my home theater setup, while I was waiting for a pair of KEF RDM2's to appear on the 2nd hand market (No one seems to want to aprt with them).

I've been so impressed with them though, that I've decided that the money I would have been spent on upgrading the rears, is better spent elswhere. In my opinion, these speakers really do come that close to there £700 cousins.

So as you may have gathered, I'm a big fan of these beauties! I would agree that they get better in the bass department at volumes, this is to be expected with such a refined speaker.

Purchased At:   Private

Submitted by iivix a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
So I'll like to chip in here regarding a few points about my beloved Q15s.

Firstly, it is true that the perceived bass roll-off is quite steep. I've been playing a load of drum'n'bass and it sounds like, well, drum'n'... The sub-bass is just non-existent, at least at low volumes. But, if you give whack the volume up a bit, the bass is certainly there, although it lacks clarity. Apart from really low sub-basses, the rest of the (middy) bass is there with clarity, but it does sound a bit lower in the mix at low volumes than it would on a cheaper midi system. I believe that this is because it's an accurate sound, and not some psycho-acoustically unbalanced sound that adds unnatural bass power at low volumes. The best thing is that these speakers can take a real pounding and not lose any of that lovely sweet top-end and razor sharp stereo spread, so turn the volume up and enjoy. If you want things that have loads of bass at low volumes, use a midi system with the "mega bass" turned on.

Secondly, I was unfortunate enough to receive one speaker with a slight defect in the otherwise perfect build quality- the front baffle was coming away about a millimetre at one corner, distorting the sound slightly. KEF repaired the defect within a week, all free of charge (including delivery).

Submitted by ton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
The best thing about these Q15.2's is their size and the fact that it doesn't matter where you place them. Even against a wall they sound beautiful. Even an old amp like my NAD 3020 sounds makes them sing. One big must: bi-wire them. It matters alot. If you don't want to spend the money on extra cable, then remove the brass bridge on the back and replace it with propper cable.