KEF Cresta2
Description: Shelf Speaker

Submitted by vimal kumar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2014

Bottom Line:
this speakers surprised me with the sound they produced. the speakers i used before was monitor audio br2 but changing to the kefs the sound was absolutely astounding. the small speakers put my beloved celestion ditton 25, b and w dm2000 to shame. the sound stage is excellent, treble bit high and base very efficient for a speaker of this size. anyone who buys this will not be dissapointed..

Submitted by Matazz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
Terrific engineering but slightly strange speakers. They have astonishing qualities for the price as well as unexpected flaws. The Cresta 2s sound as though they were developed at the end of high end components, which consequently makes them slightly unsuitable for budget equipment. But given one has the patience to carefully chose the partnering equipment this could become a plus in the end.

Submitted by ThePlayer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, here it goes. I bought these speakers a week and a half ago. I was waiting the break in period to finish, but there's no need to. About 12 years ago I bought a pair of Kef C 40 which I used for about 3 months and traded them in for a pair of Linn Nexus. About a month ago I sold out the Nexus and bought the Crestas, looking for some space here in my small apartment but also looking for something new.

These speakers are incredible. The sound is great right out of the box, but every time I turn the system on, they sound even better. The first day of use, the lady who lives upstairs thot I had some friends here playing guitar, hehe, I was listening a guitar music CD. I've been doing some trials with different types and gauges of cables, including; 16, 14 and 12 gauge RS cable, Linn K 20, and Kimber 4 PR, single and bi-wired, different combinations, and I found that the Linn K 20 works just fine with them, it smooths things up, everything sounds so cool, at least in my case. As somebody said, these speakers sound 3 times the price. They are not the best speakers in the world, they aren't supposed to be.

I use a cheap AV receiver, a cheap 12" powered sub, not telling which thought, and a cheap DVD player that has a sub-out, I use it, so the Crestas can work unfiltered.

I've read some reviews here, of ppl saying that Tannoy MX2 and/or B&W are better speakers than Crestas, maybe (I haven't heard the Tannoys), but even there they cost $75.-100. more than the Crestas.

These speakers are allrounders, they got everything, looks (cherry finish) and sound. The bass is tight and clean, mids and hights are great, very natural and detailed. Cresta 2 are HiEnd speakers at "the best" price you can find anywhere. I mean, if you want deep and strong bass, get a sub, these are "bookshelf speakers" that you can hear all day long without fatigue, even if you don't have a sub, the low end of the Crestas is just fine. Exept for rap, I hear every kind of music, (as long as is good) from Salsa, Rock, Jazz to Classic, the Crestas handle everything I throw at them so well, they sing so beautiful, and very musical. For the guys at KEF, who made this possible, thanx and congratulations for making such a great speaker at such a nice price, the Cresta 2 deserves "FIVE BIG STARS" and (I was going to say ten thumps up, LOL) ten fingers up.

Submitted by mate a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, I bought recever Onkyo TX-DS 595 and DVD Onkyo 757 THX, and than I take Cresta 2. I tried on: Metallica, Iron Maiden, Sting, U2, Deep Purple, The Doors and some punk, blues, jazz. Everything sound very nice!

Purchased At:   $

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've recently "upgraded" my Kef Cresta 2's to Kef Q35.2 floorstanders, which still have a considerable running in time to go. The Cresta 2's are without doubt one of the finest budget standmounters around. Anyone who likes their music to be involving and dynamic, must think about these speakers. Those who like their sounds 'shanti' and laid back better look at other speakers. One of the great speakers and can be bought for next to nothing.