JohnBowers John Bowers Active 1 Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by stanmotorbikes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2011

Bottom Line:
If you are reading this and considering buying a pair of these speakers don't hesitate, buy them! I have been trying to find the perfect sound for over 30 years trying endless combinations of amplifiers and speakers. I think it has been a case of one step forward and then two steps back. I love this hobby but it can be so frustrating. I have had a lot of quite esotic amplifiers and speakers but nothing approaches the John Boers Active set up. There is such a clarity, punch and neutrality to the sound, its hard to believe that these speakers are over 25 years old. I have owned active ATC speakers but these blow them away no problem. I bought them on eBay recently for £350 which is the biggest bargain ever! They are very heavy, 30kg each so be warned but they are attractive and blend in really well. I listen to all types of music and can't fault them on any music type. They sound great on an old CD player and truly sensational on my Kuzma Stabi/Stogi turntable. They are very powerful in the bass but very accurate and tuneful at the same time. The top end is so detailed and almost a rival for Quad electrostatics. I have owned the Quad 57s and Shackman electrostatics so I know what I am speaking about. These speakers must have been so far ahead of anything on the market in 1985. One of the surprising features so far is the clarity at very low levels. This is always the sign of an exceptional speaker. The dynamics are there even when listening at low volumes. Bill Brufords drum kit has never sounded so good. I could go on and on but I will leave it there and just say that they are the best speaker I have ever owned and probably ever will. The amazing thing is that I have sold my shackman speakers, Quad 44/405 amplifier and these paid for the John Bowers speakers. I still can't believe how good they are and how lucky I am to own these wonderful speakers. My wife loves the sound too! Don't hesitate, buy them, you won't be dissapointed!

Submitted by alang a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
hello,
yes curbside pick up , I have had these for years in a pile of stuff.. never used them.
after a little time browsing, and reading the reviews
I am excited to power them up an see what happens?I see that I do not have the cables and center mixer box?for the set? can someone knowlegeable with this system help me. I do not want to plug them in and blow them up ? thanks..mucho

Submitted by Aart a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
Reading the previous reviews, I can only emphasize the sound quality of these speakers. And now it's already 2005! I bought a pair of these beauties second hand for only € 350,- (approx. $ 400,-). OK, they are 25 years old, but I immediately replaced my NAD 218 THX with JBL HP-520's for the Active one's.

If you are able to get a pair, don't hesitate to buy them.

Purchased At:   second hand

Submitted by Rainer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
John Bowers active one,
one of the best speakers ever made,
but my modifications made it even better!

Purchased At:   1987

Submitted by Wally Quilty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
Since I bought theses speakers back in the day I have tried hard to keep them in mint condition but having them thi long hahah fat chance. They still sound as they did when I got them thought perfect. I have heard alot of speakers ie: Tannoy's B&W's Cervin Vega's Sound Dynamics nothing comparies just the design of the amp being in them reproduces sound like you are there drum solo's to chello's the range of perfect sound. All I can say is WOW!!!!!

Price Paid:    $2000.00