JBL TLX-181 Floorstanding Speakers

4.29/5 (21 Reviews)

Submitted by Mark Shaheen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
Not bad for the price, the power rating is only 200 watts PEAK! I am assuming thats around 35 or so RMS. You hit them with a 100-200 watt amp and watch them explode. I am selling them for $250.

Purchased At:   Montgomery Wards

Submitted by Jared a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've owned four of these towers for the past 3+ years, and in the beginning I was extremely happy with them. Last summer, I bought a new Denon 3801 receiver to replace my JVC one, and now I can't quit blowing the tweeters and mids. So far I've blown the tweeters in all of the towers a combined total of 7 times and also the mids in two of them. I really don't think that these speakers can handle the power that they are rated at. The tweeters even blow when the speakers are playing cleanly (no distortion whatsoever). If you have a low power amp (<100 watts of quality power) these speakers should preform great, but if you have a high end amp plan on having them in the shop every month.

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are great speakers that have held up very well. I purchased them for 120 dollars, and absolutely love them. Highs and lows are very clear, and also delievers good home theater sound.

Purchased At:   Montgomery Wards

Submitted by Matt Smith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well, where do I start? I have had these speakers for about 5 months. I purchased my first pair for about $275 at Montgomery Wards. Someone had returned them and said they were too big for their place. Then I recieved my second pair off of Ubid.com for $175. I was very pleased on how they came in a timely manner and how they were packaged. Granted the grills were a little busted up, they were easy to fix with superglue.

The performance of these speakers are wonderful. When I first hooked them up I was surprised at how equal the sound was. I particually liked how the bass was still powerful at loud volume yet the titanium tweeter still rang through. I put them on a speaker stand and that even made a better difference. Music was an entire different experience and movies were incredible.

I have finally completed my theater and am well please with my purchases. I will go with JBL frequently.

Submitted by Greg Johnson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have always enjoyed JBL speakers going back to the '70s with the Century series. I've had stereo systems for years and 2 years ago I found these TLX181s on sale at Best Buy for $250.00 and I snaped them up. They sounded great with my old Pioneer receiver and last year I jumped in to home theater I kept them as the mains in my speaker set. It's to bad they have been discontinued. I've had no problem with them and they still sound great with the new digital sources like DVD and HDCD.