JBL LX44 Floorstanding Speakers

4.42/5 (19 Reviews)

Floor standing speaker system

Submitted by D. W. Smith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Bottom Line:
Lived up to the high praise here and elsewhere. I bought them used with disintegrated woofer surrounds for cheap, refoamed them, and WOW. Replaced smaller JBL P20s + sub with these much larger speakers, and my wife even agreed we're not going back. The imaging is remarkable.
The bass from the 8" 408Gs is accurate but they won't fill a big room (it does help to play them LOUD though!). I used to play bass and I prefer clean, strong, punchy bass from speakers. I don't tolerate boomy bass. It's hard to find all three so I'll take clean and punchy in my large room (32' deep x 21' wide x 8' high).
The mids are very clean and strong with sax, elec. and acoustic guitar, piano and vocals. I can listen to Larry Carlton and Acoustic Alchemy all day! They are clean enough to pick out different instruments playing harmony parts.
The highs are sweet and clear (some have said too strong from the titanium tweeters, but I'm a JBL tweeter fan). They do expose poor recordings though, which is not their fault. Female vocals are spectacular such as Mary Black and Diana Krall. I hate it when female vocal 'S's screach, and these don't.
When I was inside the cabinets, I checked the crossovers. They used high quality parts, so I left them stock. I might rewire them with beefier wires, but not today. The cabinets are heavy and well built. They also isolate the ported woofer bottom from the mid/tweeter compartment, which probaly helps keep the mid clean.
Placement is important with any rear-ported speaker. I have mine about 18" off the floor and about 16" from the wall but I'm still experimenting. Excellent imaging - you can tell if someone steps back from the microphone! I have the original angled bases that I may try soon.
I am very pleased with my $1000 system at this point: Marantz CD-5004, Yamaha RX-V867, and JBL LX-44s. The CD player's DAC is where the clarity starts. Add a clean amp, and clean speakers and enjoy! The Yamaha has a 'pure direct' mode that shuts off everything but the amp (fed by good analog cables from the Marantz).
Now all I need is a new home with a better listening room! I once overheard a conversation between Paul Klipsch and an unhappy customer when he visited a high-end stereo store (about 1974). The customer claimed his new Klipsch speakers didn't sound right. Paul asked about the room.. dimensions, windows.. etc. Paul then told the customer how to fix the problem: Move!

Submitted by Dennis Vogelsang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
What can I say? I've owned these speakers for about 20 years now, and they sound as great now, as they did back then!
Around the late 80's I just started work and wanted to treat myself to a new sound system. After buying all the necessary components, it was time to purchase some speakers. I was told to stay away from the generic brands that match Hi-Fi components and have a listen to more 'specialised' brands, in particular European and USA brands.
After listening to a wall of different makes and models (with the help of a friendly sales assistant & my own CD that I knew would meet my listening demands), it was the LX44's turn. They were expensive ($1000 was a lot of money back then) but I immediately fell in love with them and took them home.
Now 20 years on, and a lot of admiration from envious friends and family members, I have never come across a better set of speakers and am so glad with the choice I made. What an investment!

Purchased At:   Toombul Music

Submitted by smackpixi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
wonderful, that's all there is to say. if you have the opportunity to get these babies from anywhere, do it.

in around 1991 or 1992 i was buying my first component system, i was in HS and i was a pretty stupid 16 yr old silly, daddy and i were traveling around and testing out stuff i could afford on my Target salary...and i heard these guys, wow, i wanted, the comparable priced infinitys at best buy were humiliated, i wanted them on the spot...but waited like a week to make up my mind...went bact to the store and they were gone, got told they were discontinued...i was like, really, why? but anyway, i absolutly had to have these speakers, so mommy and daddy ponied up to order them from some place in a magazine...do you have any idea what the postage is on a pair of speakers? me neither, but i bet it was a ton. anyway, got them for about $400 on the pair right around the time jbl stopped making them...

for me, these are the best speakers ever made, i've carried them around to like 3 dorm rooms, 10 apartments, and two houses since i've bought them...they're durable enough to toss around like that...they can get loud, how loud? once when i lived in seattle, there were these guys that lived below me having some garden party playing their dave mathews boring music loud enough to bug me...so i put in some black flag and turned up my stuff as loud as it goes...some rather crappy kenwood receiver, 45 wpc, but whatever, turned it up all the way, and had the speakers in the window blaring down at the neighbors, and went for a walk to see how far away i could hear....about two blocks away i could still hear...then realized, jesus christ, i'm annoying the entire neighborhood and ran home to turn it off.

great speakers. bass heavy a bit even with only 7 inch woofers. beautiful mids. bit pitchy from the tweets. awsome, if you like accuracy, drop the bottom and top a wee bit. great rock n roll speakers. if you like to party, you want these bad boys.

Purchased At:   mail order

Submitted by hightechjunkie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought these jewels right when I graduated from college (back in 93)trying to get a smaller system because I was moving accross the country. I thought I was giving up quality in a smaller size speaker but I was pleasantly surprized. I feel they kick the crap outta my old LT100Ts! Great lows for an 8" bass driver. the highs are a bit on the harsh side at times but I feel that the mids more than make up for that shortfall. I have some very expensive (and large) Kliptsch now for my "big" system. But these little babys are in my office pushed by a Carver M-4.0t. I will never get rid of them!

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Submitted by Daniel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I use them mainly as monitors with my DJ setup using just a power amp and the preamp in my mixer. Vinyl sounds amazingly clear through them with little coloration and distortion. Sometimes will hook up a Discman/Minidisc player to play some CDs and even then they sound good. Everything from hip hop to drum n bass sound good through these. Probably about 8 years old, at least.

Purchased At:   JandR

Decision: B&W DM620 or JBL LX44 or Mission Ren. 737

I'm in the market for a set of speakers. Currently i'm looking at some DM620s or LX44s. Does anybody know anything about either of these that they can share? I read positive review about the LX44s but can't find much info on the DM620s. I know both were made around the same time (1990). And I ... Read More »

JBL LX44 speakers?

Hey guys I recently came across a set of LX-44's that need a good refoam but that seems to be the only problem with them. The guy is asking $150 for the speakers. What do you guys think? Also, what kind of amp on a college budget could I get that would go well with them? Thanks JoeRead More »