JBL LX44 Floorstanding Speakers

4.45/5 (22 Reviews)

Floor standing speaker system

Submitted by JHT a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2014

Bottom Line:
Well folks the JBL (James B. Lansing) as in (Altec Lansing)- 2 of the Greatest Audio engineers and Audio transducer (speaker/cabinet) builders in the world, - LX44 was designed directly from JBL's PRO series Studio Monitor est.cost around $10,000 each, for the Home. Thats why they sound so great.
If you find a pair for sale BUY THEM and re-fit the new cones or transducer.
Its Flat line across the audio spectrum with spectacular clarity.

Treat your self to a real world of sound..

Submitted by Sam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2014

Bottom Line:
I got a pair of LX44's from a friend for $20/pr.The reason they were so cheap was because the foam was out of the woofers.A few weeks latter I saw a set of Bose 201's a neighbor threw away in the garbage. I quickly retrieved them and noticed the speaker cabinet was in really bad shape but the woofers were like new. Instead of having my JBL woofers refoamed I took these Bose woofers out of the old cabinet and put them in my JBL speakers. To my surprise the sounded fantastic,maybe even better than the original speakers.Then a few months latter I saw a pair of JBL G200's at a garage sale so I bought them for $30.00/pr.They were like new so I used them for my surround sound speakers. I've never hears better sounding speakers any where for any price.I could have spent a couple of grand and still not get a better sounding speaker.I have them hooked up to a Denon AVR-3200 receiver with a Polkaudio center speaker and a JBL sub woofer.This thing ROCKS.It's like being at a live concert. Best system I ever owned and saved a ton of money to boot.

Submitted by Scotty1023 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of JBL LX 44 speakers and was really impressed. They had a great sound with a real rich sound. I think the high range was too much but I just turned it down with a high filter an equalizer. It my first pair of JBLs and I am hooked on them. If you want to get a pair you will enjoy them. I powered them with a vintage Pioneer SX 750 and they matched up real nice.
Scott in SC

Submitted by D. W. Smith a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Bottom Line:
Lived up to the high praise here and elsewhere. I bought them used with disintegrated woofer surrounds for cheap, refoamed them, and WOW. Replaced smaller JBL P20s + sub with these much larger speakers, and my wife even agreed we're not going back. The imaging is remarkable.
The bass from the 8" 408Gs is accurate but they won't fill a big room (it does help to play them LOUD though!). I used to play bass and I prefer clean, strong, punchy bass from speakers. I don't tolerate boomy bass. It's hard to find all three so I'll take clean and punchy in my large room (32' deep x 21' wide x 8' high).
The mids are very clean and strong with sax, elec. and acoustic guitar, piano and vocals. I can listen to Larry Carlton and Acoustic Alchemy all day! They are clean enough to pick out different instruments playing harmony parts.
The highs are sweet and clear (some have said too strong from the titanium tweeters, but I'm a JBL tweeter fan). They do expose poor recordings though, which is not their fault. Female vocals are spectacular such as Mary Black and Diana Krall. I hate it when female vocal 'S's screach, and these don't.
When I was inside the cabinets, I checked the crossovers. They used high quality parts, so I left them stock. I might rewire them with beefier wires, but not today. The cabinets are heavy and well built. They also isolate the ported woofer bottom from the mid/tweeter compartment, which probaly helps keep the mid clean.
Placement is important with any rear-ported speaker. I have mine about 18" off the floor and about 16" from the wall but I'm still experimenting. Excellent imaging - you can tell if someone steps back from the microphone! I have the original angled bases that I may try soon.
I am very pleased with my $1000 system at this point: Marantz CD-5004, Yamaha RX-V867, and JBL LX-44s. The CD player's DAC is where the clarity starts. Add a clean amp, and clean speakers and enjoy! The Yamaha has a 'pure direct' mode that shuts off everything but the amp (fed by good analog cables from the Marantz).
Now all I need is a new home with a better listening room! I once overheard a conversation between Paul Klipsch and an unhappy customer when he visited a high-end stereo store (about 1974). The customer claimed his new Klipsch speakers didn't sound right. Paul asked about the room.. dimensions, windows.. etc. Paul then told the customer how to fix the problem: Move!

Submitted by Dennis Vogelsang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
What can I say? I've owned these speakers for about 20 years now, and they sound as great now, as they did back then!
Around the late 80's I just started work and wanted to treat myself to a new sound system. After buying all the necessary components, it was time to purchase some speakers. I was told to stay away from the generic brands that match Hi-Fi components and have a listen to more 'specialised' brands, in particular European and USA brands.
After listening to a wall of different makes and models (with the help of a friendly sales assistant & my own CD that I knew would meet my listening demands), it was the LX44's turn. They were expensive ($1000 was a lot of money back then) but I immediately fell in love with them and took them home.
Now 20 years on, and a lot of admiration from envious friends and family members, I have never come across a better set of speakers and am so glad with the choice I made. What an investment!

Purchased At:   Toombul Music

Decision: B&W DM620 or JBL LX44 or Mission Ren. 737

I'm in the market for a set of speakers. Currently i'm looking at some DM620s or LX44s. Does anybody know anything about either of these that they can share? I read positive review about the LX44s but can't find much info on the DM620s. I know both were made around the same time (1990). And I ... Read More »

JBL LX44 speakers?

Hey guys I recently came across a set of LX-44's that need a good refoam but that seems to be the only problem with them. The guy is asking $150 for the speakers. What do you guys think? Also, what kind of amp on a college budget could I get that would go well with them? Thanks JoeRead More »