JBL L212 Floorstanding Speakers

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

3-pc. sub (12" powered) / satellite (3-way) system

Submitted by Richard T. Brady a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2013

Bottom Line:
The L212 is one of the best speaker systems built. I bought mine in 1977 and still have them. My friend Phil owned a store called Audio Associates in Poughkeepsie, NY. I had a choice of ESS,JBL,BOSE,AR,ADVENT, at the time. These were the exciting years of audio, with JVC,Marantz,Luxman,Nacha.,Denon,ect. I got these as a friend cost at $2700. Had them reconed once. This system was out of sight for its time, the sound repro.would blow you away. With bands like Supertramp, Rick Wakeman, London Symphony Orch. The response of the sound is unequalled today by the things they call speakers. That's it, I'm glad I lived in a time when sound and equipment was something. Happy listening. By the way Pre-amp Mitsu.D20, amp. Nikko 400, TT JVC QL-7,JVC KD-35,JVC SEA-10,Teac 2-25, Ortofon VMS-20E. Rock on. to the good old dazes.

Submitted by Vintagestero a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
WOW!!! This is one of the finest sounding speakers I have heard, particularly given that it is 25+ years old. Absolutely flat response, phenomenal sound stage, detail, delicacy, impact; it's all there. I have owned many speakers and owned some very expensive ones, these JBL L-212's are truely extraordinary. They are the first conventional technology speakers I have heard that come very close to the seamless sound of my Infinity Kappa 9's or Magnepan's that I previously owned.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by bryndildaddy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
After searching for over a decade, a mint pair finally showed on ebay; did Buy It Now w/shipping included. All three pieces in beatiful condition. Walnut cabinets gorgeous. Units built like a brick outhouse.

Submitted by Peter Aqvist a

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well built, will last a lifetime.First class components.
The best speaker I've ever heard.
I will never buy another pair of speakers, but I'm planning to extend my hifi to 5.1 cinema sound. So I have to find more JBL speakers with similar sound. JBL are expensive, but it´s worth every dollar in the end. My hifi system consists of:
Preamp: Sony TA-1000 ES, poweramp: Hitachi HMA 8500 mosfet, and a Sony 200 CD-changer.

Submitted by shamanjr a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
So solidly built that it makes it difficult to buy speakers today which seem flimsy. The drivers are incredible with first rate magnets (Alnico) and cast frames. Tweeter is the best ever made by JBL and incredibly expensive. Sub will not reach the netherworld, but mids are liquid and transparent. If you can find a pair, do!