JBL J2080 Floorstanding Speakers

Loudspeakers

Submitted by Stuart Horn a

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have the jbl 2500, and the 2600 and the 2800, which are similar if not identical to the 2050, 2060 and the 2080. Very good speakers and well made. Very good base and the titanium (sp?) tweeters are really excellent for the upper high end. Love them to death. The 2800 (later to the 2080) are very good choice for high quality bookshelf speaker.

Submitted by Steve a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought these about 6 years ago. At first, I tried out a pair of Infinity SM-10s on a high-end Carver receiver. When the Inifnitys were subjected to 50 watts of peak power, the woofer gave out a loud "crack". I then was told by the salesperson to try out these JBLs. Same music, same receiver, we pushed these speakers up to 75 watts of continuous power with 120 watt peaks. NO DISTORTION!! I was immediately sold. These speakers have never given me any problems, even through 3 moves and many "loud" and bass-hungry movies. I have it hooked up to a Yamaha RV-710 Dolby Pro Logic receiver and they sound absolutely beautiful!!! Nice bass, crisp treble, but not as bright as my BIC Venturis. Best pair of speakers I've ever owned!!!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Joe a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers. It consists of an 8" high polymer laminate driver and a 14mm titanium laminate driver. There is a small port below the woofer,and they are goodlooking. JBL claims these speakers can reach as low as 40Hz. They are probably pretty close if not correct. I have driven these babies to insane levels(without a sub)and at ear level I do not forsee any problems. One of my favorite test cds is Metallicas' "...And Justice For All". They blew me away. Stereo imaging is as fine as it comes.
I compared these to the then popular Paradigm Phantoms. Were these two directly competing with each other at the time? In this category of speakers there was no comparison. I am not discrediting Paradigm speakers. They are fine speakers as are many others,however;these American-made models beat out our Canadian friends. Highly recommended.