JBL J-2050 Floorstanding Speakers

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Bookshelf speaker

Submitted by Julian H a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
Ok, first my system:
3.5 watt SET monoblocks
Marantz cd5000 to MSB DAC
MIT Terminator 2 IC, Audioquest Speaker Wire
Carver Receiver

These are built very well, the cabinet is solid, heavy and well put together. The speaker covers are of good quality.
Some people have complained about the bass, this is a small driver, don't expect it to shake the house, regardless, they play very loud and are quite efficient. Treble is very good, but a tad too forward (no brightness at all) cymbals shimmer and horns sound great, drums also sound great. These speakers are very musical and easily convey dynamics. Imaging is very good. The midrange is where things fell apart. The midrange is dry and certain frequencies in the lower mid range sounded grainy. For example, I listened to Garth Brooks' first album and there was graininess in his voice when he hit a certain note, I listened to Herbie Hancock, Maiden Voyage and heard some grain on certain notes hit by the horns. While listening to pink floyd's animals, I also heard this on certain frequencies. Now, granted, its only a very small frequency range but enough to slightly annoy and I heard it with both my SET and my Solid State Carver. If it wasn't for this, these would be gems, especially with their nice highs and imaging, I hate bright speakers and the treble here is very pleasing. But because of the overall dryness in the mids coupled with the grainy sound at certain frequencies, I have to give them a 4, but I do think they are just as good, most likely better than anything else you'll buy in their price range.

Submitted by Jonathan Syfu a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought 2 pairs of these speakers from ubid.com for $76+s/h and hooked them up to a Kenwood 1070VR for my room. The speakers are excellent for the price, too bad I can't say the same about the receiver. Mids and highs are very accurate and crisp, but I really like bass and I am looking for a subwoofer to add to my system. They fill up big rooms very well, but for really big rooms, towers are probably better or maybe the J-2080 with the 8" woofer.

Submitted by Kevin Clark a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of J2050's which were several years old off ebay for $62. These have a 5 1/4" woofer and 3/4" tweeter in a fairly small ported box. The sound is good, warm with a slight midbass peak and neutral mids/highs. Imaging is excellent. The quality is good, well-damped box, drivers look nice, somekind of cloth maybe long-throw surround. These are not magnetically shielded.

Submitted by Damien Binch a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
I use these speakers as my main fronts with a Polk PSW-100 sub. With thiscombination, I can't detect any holes in movies or music (mostly jazz). If
the J2050's are used without a sub, you might find the absence of bass to be
a real disappointment. Very weak bass, but fabulous highs. High hats and
cymbals sound incredible.

Submitted by Joe a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
If you are in the market for a good pair of bookshelf models you may want to try these little bad-boys, if you can find them. These are unfortunately discontinued. Anyway, they consist of a 5 1/4" woofer and a 14mm titanium laminate driver. I use these for a second pair in my home. They do not disappoint. These speakers produce incredible highs, and the little woofer can pound out some interesting low notes.
The imaging is great(I can say this of most decent small speakers), and they are finished in a nice oak finish. Finally, the build quality is excellent. You would probably be at a loss if you go with something else. This owner gives a high recommendation.