JBL Control 12SR Floorstanding Speakers

Top of Control Series.12" woofer,horn tweeter.

Submitted by Randy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
HELLO I BOUGHT A PAIR OF THESE LIKE 6 MONTHS A GO FROM THE ORIG. OWNER. HE WAS MOVING AND DIDNT WANT TO SELL THEM, I SEE WHY. I USE THEM AS PA MONITORS. THEY ARE AMAZING, PERIOD! IM A EV GUY BUT THE OLDER CARED FOR JBLS ARE ROCK SOLID AND SOUND GREAT. PLAY 50S , THREW COUNTRY ROCK. 70S ROCK, THESE SPEAKERS JUST DONT HAVE ANY WEEKNESS. I PUT A 15 BAND EQ WITH THEM AND THEY ARE EVEN BETTER/// WOW 5 STARS ALL THE WAY.. MAIN SPEAKERS ARE EV SX500. WITH SUBS.!! THEY WERE $$ PRICY$$ BUT ONE THING IVE LEARNED IN MY 35 YRS OF PLAYIN MUSIC AND ROCKIN. THE BEST,USE THE BEST FOR A REASON!! THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT!
FIND A PAIR, GRAB THEM THEY ARE UN REAL! ROCKIN RANDY !! EMAIL ME I WILL SELL THEM AS WELL.

Submitted by Ted a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Picked these up at a 'closeout' sale new in box for about 600 bucks the pair in 91 or 92. I use them with my Dynaco ST 70 and find them a perfect match. Great sound, though I could use a powered sub for earth shattering bass, as these roll off at around 50hZ and the dynaco is a bit underpowered.

Purchased At:   Schofield Barracks PX

Submitted by Steve Davies a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
Actually I bought the Controls new in Wiesbaden Germany in 1991. I have used them for PA, Home Stereo and now they are used for my Keyboards in live gigs. I am surprised that people would use them for home theatre, as the JBL rep I got them from said they would be harsh in a home environment-that's when I bought the Control 6 and 10s for home.
These things are bulletproof, so well-made, and handle just about anything you want to put through them. Fot home theatre, I'd recommend a professional graphic equalizer (TOA or the like) to tune them in to your liking. The cones are strong, and they can be harsh at some levels, but they are far better than the Lansing Jubal Studio Monitors that they replaced (I still have them too!)
Expensive-yes, would I buy more? You betcha!

Submitted by Junior Hsu a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
The JBL Control 12 Sound Reinforcement,maybe most of us will locate thisspeaker in the P.A. category.I'm sure you will be finding something extra when
you use this speaker in the home theatre entertainment.
I use 3 Control 12 SR speakers as left,center,right channel speakers,with
two Control 5 as rear speakers.I've to admit that this configuration of speakers
are not suitable for pure music listening,but you'll be amazed how it outperformed most speakers in action movies.Its' sound is open,direct, and
most of all....strong in almost all dynamic ranges.
Control 12 SR's bass really punches,midrange and treble is very clearcut
as they are produced from horn-tweeters.Although its bass does not extend to
the depth that I predicted.
The liveliness and realism these speakers brought to you will absolutely
outshine other normal home speakers.Their immense SPL will bury you alive.
I'm 90% satisfied with their performance in home theatre presentationl.The
other 10% disappointment is that they are really lousy when playing New Age,
Classical,Opera.They aren't performing the real feeling of the classicals as
they should be.
Since I'm a home theatre enthusiast,I'll give a 5 Star for what it benefits.
The product quality is designed for you to alter the positioning.Please take
my advice and have a try for yourself,let your ear decides...

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener