JBL Century Gold limited edition Floorstanding Speakers

200 W continuous / 800 W peak, 6 Ohms , 90 dB/2.83V/m, 60 lbs

Submitted by Darko a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought my first pair of JBL's in 1976, Decade L36. Over yearsI tested many JBL, Infinity, Jamo...
Century Gold is absolutely the best ever heard. I have been serching a pair for over 5 years. Now I enjoy music as never before. If you find a pair, go and buy it, you will never regret.
Absolutely accurate, well defined, open. Do not forget to replace crossover 9V battery. Previous owner of my pair had no idea about it, both batteries were made in 1996 and dead long ago. One was even shorted.
I think today they do not produce something similar. SACD disks sounds as never before on Yamaha CD-S2000.
Even room acoustic has no such a big influence - sound simply fill it.
Pure joy, just listen If you are lucky to catch a pair.

Submitted by Herby a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2009

Bottom Line:
deze speaker staat voor mij boven elke twijvel , evenals m"n cd-speler (sony xa5es) met de denon poa 2200 eindtrap is er ongeloofelijk gedetaileerd laag (nooit geweten dat laag ook gedetaileerd kan) maar midden/hoog , met name spraak/sang-geluid klingt goedkoop/blikerig , spelen zonder voorversterker brengt enigzins verbetering , maar de jbl"s kunnen meer . wat is hier aan de hand ? welke versterker (wel op de tweedehands-markt te vinden) kan werkelijk een upgrade bieden op de poa 2200 ? Herby

Submitted by Johannhighpower a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best speakers ever made,. I only put MKP Plus caps in the low and mid filter section. Which was a huge plus. Now there is more definition in the lows. A piano a bass guitar and drums have now really more room, at the same time. Like a bigger tunnel so to say.

I use it with a tube pre and power amp with no feedback in power amp. There comes a 8 x KT88 poweramp for them. I never heard a better high end sound than mine. I buy another set and make them closed box. ( with no bass reflex) so the sound will improve a little then) I hope.

Submitted by Michiel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
We bought those speakers for our Argentine Tango club, Flor de Fango in Arnhem, the Netherlands.
They're now playing for over 8 years and there's no need to even consider replacment.
Very clear, well defined, with a lot of headroom. We even use them for (acoustic instruments) live-gigs.
Higly recomended

Submitted by Richardddddd a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2008

Bottom Line:
As a music producer and mixing engineer, I got disposed to very broad audio spectra. Several years working with a kinds of monitoring, I find these JBL Century Gold's will be my best friend, when it comes to enjoying music.

Very ugly, to some of my visitors at my place. Though, I like the way they look. Distiguised, as I am.

JBL has got this one idea, to reproduce the old model, most cetainly right.

That's my opinion.