JBL ARC-1000 Floorstanding Speakers

4.36/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by Mitch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2012

Bottom Line:
Bought my JBL ARC 1000's locally from a guy for $150. I have them paired with an older pioneer sx 950 (1976) rated at 85 WPC RMS. I listen to all different kinds of music, including rap, classic rock, dubstep, etc, through a variety of mediums including radio, vinyl and aux (my iPod). Anyways, meh these speakers were OK at first, a little dull sounding and bass heavy, until i BI-WIRED them, and then holy crap, they sounded 100x better. They are a great speaker and I definitely recommend you bi-wire them no matter what. After bi-wiring these speakers, it totally opened up the sound stage and produced a fuller, more appealing sound. If you can get these for $150, they are great for listening (all i use them for) and the guy I bought them from said they are great for main speakers of entertainment system or surround system. The only reason he got rid of them is because he needed the cash. Not to mention, rated at 175 W handling capacity, you'll be hard pressed to find an amp that could blow these, but my sx-950 sure gives them a good workout!!

Submitted by bootkast a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Bottom Line:
Overall a great sounding speaker. In terms of value, they are one of the best. Highs and the lows are quite nice. The mids, while good, don't pop as much --- probably because the high and lows are so good. They are also pretty powerful speakers and play well in large and medium sized rooms - they have had no problems pushing the bass through a larger vaulted living room. Detail in the speakers is a 4/5, to get more you would have to spend ice as much. I would highly recommend these as an introductory pair of speakers for someone getting into music. You can find a good pair from anywhere between 100-150 without a problem (in good condition).

Build is pretty solid and heavy. The surface is actually really tough too, so no worries about damaging cheap vinyl that they usually put on speakers Again, great intro speaker, and a great value.

Submitted by Daniel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
Got them bi-wired into a pioneer sx-780 tube receiver and couldn't be happier for the price i payed... Sure, I would love to have a Bose system... These JBL's are shakin' stuff downstairs and I'm not even a quarter of the way up volume wise.

Purchased At:   used from a friend

Submitted by Henry Perkins a

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought a single JBL ARC1000 almost three years ago at costo for $99.99. The best speaker I have ever bought. I listen to alot of hip-hip high bass music and the 10' sub works great.it shakes my room and puts my Tenchnics, and KLH loudspeakers too shame and they have 15'woofers in them.The mid and titanium tweeter is remarkably crisp and clear. They're even bi-cable compatible which I have not yet used, but I hear they sound even better. This is a great speaker for the cost.

My system
1 Sony center speakers
2 Sony rear surround speakers

Submitted by mike williams a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
i picked these speakers up for a very nice price and they fit in nicely with my home theatre. The highs and mids really shine when playing a dvd. I am extremely satisfied with them and I haven't even had a chance to bi-wire them yet.

Purchased At:   pawn shop