JBL 4312 Floorstanding Speakers

4.45/5 (42 Reviews)

Submitted by BWOsborn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2013

Bottom Line:
Bought a pair of 4312s at Bentwaters UK BX in 87, I already had a pair of JBL J320A monitors that I bought in Iceland so I knew I wanted JBL. The 320s sound incredible, the 4312s sound even more incredible, put both pair together with my Soundcraftsman amp/preamp and a good CD player and the purity of the sound is noticeable over any other speaker you will find. The key is the bass reflex sound holes. JBL invented that technology and they put their in the front instead of the rear of the speaker; putting the reflex hole in the rear sends the bass freq right into the wall. It makes the bass sound more pronounced because bass frequencies travel through solid objects instead of bounce off like high freqs.

So, when I'm listening to a good jazz tune with a swinging upright bass I can turn the volume down to room level, then walk to any room in the house, upstairs or down, and still hear the clear bass just as if the speaker is in the same room, not the muddy muffled bass sound you get through the bass boards like those speakers with the holes in the rear. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

I was going to put all my gear up for sale, plugged it all in so I can demonstrate it to potential buyers. Heck, now I want to keep it all even though I don't have any room for it.

Submitted by Homeless Laptop Guy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2013

Bottom Line:
It is interesting that anyone can qualify to post a review here. Listening is a highly subjective thing, complicated is finding the correct words to describe your subjective tastes.

First; These are "Nearfield" type speakers and comparing them as "how bad they sound" to another speaker you prefer is absurd if not totally ridiculous summary.

Funny the broadcast industry used these so long for some reason isn't it? I think this fact speaks "volumes" nit nit...I mean Klipsch? C'mon man!

I owned the Snell A's for years and they cost $2700 new in the late 70's and I sold them last year in near mint for $400. The 4312's did not cost near $2700 (with inflation in 8 years considering the era about $5900 in '85 dollars, ) in the Mid-80's when I bought them. Both speakers are polar opposite but both produce even flat responses in listening. Point is, what holds values relaisticly anyway? Add inflation please before you calculate value? The market value is the price readily available consumers are willing to pay for something. That's important, no demand means no interest and I believe you can relate no interest to not sounding that great. So if the value stays up, they must sound good enough.....for enough.

It takes 15 second evaluators to mess up a reputation doesn't it?

Second the negative posters have these confused with other models somehow, maybe the 4311? Who knows? The 4312's I own have "cross-over" contour controls built in so I can adjust the speaker for the accoustics in the room I use. Puzzles me

How about their value on the market? Me are now nearing 30 years in age and worth a bit for a speakers that age with a willing market to boot. Why is that?

Submitted by Steve Hanson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
I am a musician and I bought my JBL4312 control monitors in 1982 ... they are still going strong and in perfect condition ... I wouldn't want any other speaker to use in my home studio or for just listening to music ... when you consider that JBL monitors were then and probably still are used in 90% of the worlds recording studios I figure I'm listening to the music as it was originally recorded and engineered ... they have such clarity.
At the time I bought them I was working in a music store and they were the latest release from JBL ... I got them wholesale ... I think they cost me around AUD$1200 ... a lot of money for those days but the best investment I ever made ... $40 per year so far and getting cheaper every year.

Submitted by Dan Holmes a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2011

Bottom Line:
Picked them up when I was stationed in England at the BX in the mid 80's for $500. Monitors today just don't compare. Having a friend re-finish them in black right now; been in the garage for 2 yrs & it's time to bring em' back in...

Submitted by Hugh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
Best sudio monotors I have ever heard. Mine still going strong.