Jamo R 909 Floorstanding Speakers

• System: 3-way dipole
  • Frequency Range: 25-30,000

Submitted by Krellkrell a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2011

Bottom Line:
I can tell you that this is the best speakers i have listened to in my room,you never feel that you are missing anything ,all the emotion is there,the bass is always tight and never gets in the way of music,i use to have the 802 bw speaker before then,the 802 are a very good speaker ,but on some cd it can be a but tin in the midrange and an over blowing bass,,well the jamos are so balanced that is very hard to thing of changing them,this is due to there technology of an open baffle.the truth is i am driving them with the nuforce 9v2se and the belcanto pre3 ,the source i have is a krell sacd standard and the nuforce cdp 8,good ccombination and wonderfull sound is all that i can promise you.enjoy

Submitted by Bob Vaughan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
This speaker has a MSRP of $16000.00 as opposed to the $6995.00 that is shown here on Audio Review.
And rightfully so, when compared to other speakers in or near the $20,000.00 price range.
The JAMO 909 is a about as good as a pair of speakers can get ! They are very well balanced tonally, have the ability for huge dynamic swings ( can reproduce music with quiet subtlety, then instantaneously, blow the dust off your furniture) and can keep you mesmerized for long listening sessions.
This is the first speaker that I have owned for more than a couple of years that I haven't become bored with for one reason or another.
I don't have the time to go into every attribute that this speaker has, but I can tell you that if it is given enough room behind it, (4' or more) then it will disappear from the soundstage and produce a very 3 dimensional holographic picture. Being close to the sidewalls with setup doesn't seem to matter nearly as much as the wall behind, and I would recommend damping the sidewalls behind the speaker. This is because these are dipolar engineering which means that there is sound coming out of the back as well as the front of the speaker. This dipole system produces ambience and a potentially larger sounding soundstage.
I would recommend as good of an amplifier as possible but I have not found these speakers to be tremendously finnicky with electronics, although I have spent most of my time playing these through NAT Se2Se single ended tube amps that are capable of 75 watts per channel into 8ohms. I believe JAMO recommends more power to these speakers, but in my 14' x 25' room I have never felt it necessary for bigger amps. I say the Jamos are not finnicky, because when I have played them with much less expensive solid state amplifiers they still do their stuff. I just have a personal preference for the slightly smoother sound that tubes generally give.
These 909's are accurate to the source, and given a good source, should be in your possesion for a long time !

Product model year:   2007