Jamo 7.4
Description: 3-Way bookshelf speakers

Submitted by Ronald Matthews a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
I can’t believe it is over ten years since I wrote my last review about these speakers and I know a lot more about Hi Fi now. They really impressed me on first listening and nothing has changed over all these years. I have bought and sold plenty of speakers and other Hi Fi gear since but I will never get rid of these. I have tried expensive amps with a variety of ribbon speakers and other combinations and finally settled on some Sonus Faber Grand Pianos with Classe amps. I always used the Jamo 7.4 as my reference and the Sonus Faber were the only speakers to clearly sound better, at over five times the price. I recently started to try upgrading my system again but realised I am listening to as much music DVD as CD these days so considered some fancy HT speakers. I still had my Jamo 7.2 centre but it was clearly the weak link in my system. The other day, I decided to connect these old Jamo 7.4s as the centre speaker and all of a sudden all my DVD music just came alive. I still can’t believe it. I am sure it is the super tweeter that does it. Even Jamo’s more expensive speakers don’t use it. I think the 7.4 is the only speaker to use one and it certainly makes a big difference to high range clarity. I am even hearing music now that was missing from my Sonus Fabers. I have been listening to lots of my music for the last few days and even went out and bought another five music DVDs just to hear this new sound. I can’t get enough of it. I think these are just one of those speakers that slipped through the system under the radar with a super tweeter that wasn’t used again. If you like clear music and get a chance to listen to a pair of these, then do yourself a favour and listen to them.

Submitted by Tiens Hattingh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
I like the clear top end especialy with good recordings of acoustic material. The tight and punchy bass rivals that of a good floorstanding speaker. The size of this speaker is an ideal "stand" speaker but just to big for a "bookself".It handles any tipe of music very well but realy shines with acoustic material and Jazz. The way they handle the bass without cone breakup are impressive. This is allways a problem with stand mount speakers. I resently added a Jamo sub 3015 (300w) and this combination is unreal and can probably not be beaten by a floorstander for the same money. I cannot wait to hear them with super audio CD material because they got allready a super tweeter built in.

Submitted by Mark Reynolds a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a speaker for those who love a bright even analytical sound. They do well with very soomth sounding amps (maybe a darker tube amp). They have all the information there (except Bass). They will do best for someone who is stepping up from a low-fi speaker. Not bad for the money but.

Purchased At:   Audio Advisor

Submitted by Zoran Nedovic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was take my favorite CD and my new TEAC Reference AH 500i Amplifier and going around Belgrad in every Shop where sell Loudspeakers, connect my TEAC with Loudspeakers and...LISTEN!
After many listened Loudspeakers like Mission, B&W, and Tannoy...always and finally I was going back on JAMO. My money limit was 350$ and for this money, I was by BEST Loudspeakers for my ears. The Jamo 7.4 sounds very natural, clear and realistic. I can hear every detail from CD. Here in Yugoslavia you can by many pirates CD and I have some of them. You cannot here some details on this CD because they have not-details. With my old Hi-Fi I have not this problem, because all CDs was play on same way. But, when listen some CD, which is original, and DDD, I am excited, my room is "full of music".
Really, sometimes I need little more bass or I like little softness from bass. But this you can adjust with control on Amplifier.
The speakers are connected with Jamo 4,5mm2 Loudspeakers cable and used with
TEAC Reference 500 System:

Amplifier AH 500i
CD Player PD-H 500i
Tuner T-H 500 and
Cassette deck R-H 500.

Submitted by Zoran Nedovic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was take my favorite CD and my new TEAC Reference AH 500i Amplifier and going around Belgrad in every Shop where sell Loudspeakers, connect my TEAC with Loudspeacers and...LISTEN!
After meny listened Loudspeakers like Mission, B&W, Tannoy...always and finnaly I was go back on JAMO. My money limit was 350$ and for this money, I was by BEST Loudspeakers for my ears. The Jamo 7.4 sounds very natural, clear and realistics. I can hear every detail from CD. Here in Yugoslavia you can by meny pirats CD and I have some of them. You can not here some details on this CD because thay have not-details. With my old Hi-Fi I have not this problem, because all CDs was play on same way. But, when listen some CD which is original and DDD, I am excite, my room is "full of music".
The speakers are conected with Jamo 4,5mm2 Loudspeacers cable and used with TEAC Reference 500 Sistem:
Amplifair AH 500i