Infinity Systems RSM Floorstanding Speakers

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Studio Monitor

Submitted by Phil a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2016

Bottom Line:
I was searching for a great set of HiFi speakers around 1987 and tried countless offerings at the time. These Infinity RSM speakers are absolutely sensational. They made my Donald Fagen "Nightfly" album, sound exactly like it should. They beat some hot competition.

I still have them in 2016, after around 30 fantastic, enjoyable years. Sheer pleasure to listen to.

True, they are not efficient, they need nice clean High power to drive them, but the soundstage is amazing for my $700 investment. I still have them as one of my favourite speakers of all time. Bang for buck, they simply cannot be beaten in my opinion.

I am so glad I kept them, even though I have re-foamed the woofers twice over that time. All other drivers are stock, as they were designed.

The next thing I will do soon, is re cap the electrolytic capacitors in the crossovers as they are most certainly out of spec by now. If there are RSM's around with either Midrange or top end issues, it may just be the Crossover caps are way past their prime. I cannot believe mine still sound as amazing as they do.

There is no evidence of loss of Top end, midrange or drift on my set, but I will re cap one to do an A/B test, before I re-cap the other. I have not heard a sound like this at under $3000. Such a shame they are no longer made. They truly are a gem of a speaker and my friends are amazed at the outstanding sound Quality.

I disagree with anybody who cans these speakers.

From bottom end to top, they excel at the entire spectrum. Definitely 5 Stars.

Submitted by Mike Young a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2016

Bottom Line:
These are truly great speakers that still be had for a reasonable price on the used market. Most negative comments relate to the low mid frequencies. The key to getting the complete "sweetness" out of these (as with many great vintage 4 ohm speakers like the AR3a or OHM model 1) is good clean current. These will simply not sound great with most combo tuner/amps most of which are generally do not mate well with high power 4 ohm speakers. I would say a minimum of 100 WPC into 4 ohms is needed. Folks not impressed with the mid may be used to or prefer a more unbalanced colored (on the bright side) mid. Definitely east coast sound. The detail is there if set up properly. LF base frequency can be extended a bit lower without affecting detail with several more ounces of damping at the top of the cabinet. The mid can also be tuned by adding or removing a couple of ounces of damping or changing density of damping material. They are a lot of fun to play with even though they are wonderful in stock form.

Submitted by Glenn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2015

Bottom Line:
I have had my RSM speakers for 30 years. The salesman stupidly sold them to me for the same price as a pair of Swedish Research set and later got fired. I have had a protection system fitted to the tweeters due to my then cheap Yamaha Amplifier tearing them up. Here in Australia I have not heard any home Audio system speakers come close to the power & crispness of these gems.Every few years I update my amp and such but never the speakers. They are so good you can hear the snap of a drummers stick during a live concert, well almost.

Submitted by david hargreaves a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2015

Bottom Line:
I have owned a set of infinity reference studio monitor speakers since 1980 (35 years cost $1,000 back then) and they still work very well - however I have had the woofers re-rolled and I replaced the tweeters a while back with "add-on" stand-alone tandy tweeters via parallel connection with the incoming audio signal (the tweeters have their own built in high pass filters) - overall very satisfied with their performance and the sealed speaker box permits excellent bass quality - I expect them to outlive me!

Submitted by Peter a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2013

Bottom Line:
Have owned the Infinity RSM floor speakers since 1984. I got them at a sale for around $119 each. I am about to replace the surrounds again. They are not bad speakers, but not the best by any stretch. The tweeters and 12" woofers are fine. The problem is with the midrange drivers. They have a high compliance, and can take a fair amount of power. However, these midrange drivers are not clean sounding. They lack presence. This is the reason Infinity went to the midrange dome driver. It had a cleaner sound. Because of the rather rubbery compliance and loading on these midrange drivers, they are rather slow. This might be okay for a woofer, but a midrange needs to be a lot faster responding. For this reason, I cannot recommend these. If you can replace the midrange for a cleaner sounding driver, then these might be good speakers.