Infinity Systems RS 2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.3/5 (20 Reviews)

6 1/2in driver 1/2 PTC tweeter

Submitted by Bruce a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
These are fantastic speakers. I use these as Studio Monitors because of their accuracy and ability to NOT color the sound with artificial lows and highs. They have a nice tight low end (not exaggerated), proper mids and accurate highs. They mesh well with my studio environment and compliment my high end headphones. The best close up monitors I have used in years. These are definitely keepers. I highly recommend these to anyone seeking high end sound without the exorbitant cost reflected in other speakers. Great construction materials and excellent components.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by lonewolf031457 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2010

Bottom Line:
A favorite speaker of mine. I've picked up two sets on Craigslist and added a subwoofer to each. They cover the highs and mids well. They have a fuller sound than the RS1's which have a 5" woofer comparted to the RS2's 6". With their small size they fit most anywhere. I listen to jazz, country and bluegrass. I have not had a problem with the plastic grills: no rattling and you don't worry about the speaker cloth tearing.
They far outperform Sony speakers. I liked them a bit better than the Polk R20's.

Strengths: HIghs, Mids

Weaknesses: Low Bass, but good with a sub

Similar products used: Sony, Infinity RS5's, RS1's, RS4's, Polk R20's, Insignia bookshelf

Submitted by Uncle Albert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
You will never mistake these for full-range speakers, but that's not why you buy bookshelf units. I've found them to be fairly well-detailed with good midrange, and a solid build quality that has held up to merciless use and 3 moves. Combine them with a sub and use them as surround or surround back speakers, and most owners will be pleased.

Purchased At:   NE Furniture Mart

Submitted by Ben a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
ok, first the good: Even though these arent very accurate speakers, the brightness really brings out acoustic guitars and cymbals. Bass is good for its size. Its sound characteristics are similar to Kenwood & Infinity car speakers, probably because of its polycarbonate tweeters. This could be a bad or good thing for you, but for me it was bad because i use this thing mostly for movies.

The bad: This thing doesnt match very well w/ spkrs from other line/brands. Its brightness stands out when paired with most center spkrs. Before, i had a Polk cs245 for a center(which is a pretty warm sounding speaker), and the Infinities stuck out like a sore thumb. I sold the polk and bought a JBL S-center hoping it would be a closer match. Well its not as warm as the polk, but the Infinities still sticks out sometimes when im watching movies. Oh and did i mention this thing has next to no midrange? or perhaps its tweeter is so glaring that any midrange coming from these speakers are masked.

Ive been breaking this thing in for about a year now. Still sounds about the same. Build quality looks prety good on this thing and still in fine shape. It even still has the new speaker smell on it. But im probably going to sell it soon and get me some Paradigm mini-monitors. Let me know if any of u guys wants to buy the RS2 from me. Especially any of you in the Sourthern California area. Ill sell them for under 100 for sure.

Purchased At:   mobshop.com (formerly Mercatas.com)

Submitted by Jack Wei a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
This was my first pair of real "stereo speakers," or at least a step toward that direction. Before them I had some Jensen, real cheap stuff. I tried Cambridge Soundworks Model 17 and they were hardly any better than the Jensen. Upgrading to the Infinity made quite a difference. The high is clear and focused. The bass is tight. They don't go very low or loud, though more than enough for my small apartment. Once paired with a JBL subwoofer (60W only, another cheap stuff from a friend), the sub didn't do much better except when watching movies (where tons of artificial lows were added in the recording room).

On the other hand, they could be kind of cold and sharp. They lack warm midrange which may be very important when listening to vocals. A friend got a pair of Klipsch SB2 for some $250/pr and those sound better, though the difference is limited. I still think they well worth the $180/pr I paid. As I learned, Infinity discontinued them (RS was their bottom line series) but you may be able to find them in factory outlets or as used at a even lower price. Besides, they are small and look nice. They serve well as a first step into the hi-fi (mid-fi?) world.

Originally, they were driven by Kenwood 1060VR 110w/ch ProLogic receiver. Recently I switched to NAD 3020 25w/ch stereo integrated amp. The NAD produces a full and much warmer sound. Switching to Monster Cable helped, too. Monster may be hyped but still beats OEM cables.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Infinity RS 2.5

About how much are they worth? I have a pair, with some minor damage to the foam around the woofers, but they still sound good. I've got them up on eBay, and the highest bid is like $207 right now, but I am beggining to wonder, are they worth more than that? I hope I don't regret this!:mad2:Read More »