Infinity Systems RS-10 Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by Greg Moore a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I use these for L/R in a home theater with the Overture 2's acting as rears and center.

The RS-10's really have yet to stop inpressing me after a year of hard use. I have broken a number of items from our fire place mantel (now all taped down) from the bass and have yet to push them beyond their exceptable sound range. The sound field is excellent, imaging excellent (although a clearly defined sweet spot) and base is complete and extreemly tight. They can produce the low back ground rumbles of recordings in cheap studios (or in church's like one CD I have) as easily and they can thump out the newest techno dance crap my son likes. They do justice so some of the best rock drummers shake the couch, my jeans and the dishes out in the kitchen on movies like The Matrix.

Simply an awsome speaker, especially when they can be had sooo cheap at times on eBay etc.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by DB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
What a great product for the money! I got these for Home Theater at first & they did a great job. Very efficient so smaller recievers can push them very well. I once even hooked a borrowed 20wpc tube amp up to them and they played flawlessly! Great design!
AS I moved on from all HT set up to more of a music based system these gems kept the pace pretty well. Infinity somehow lost it's lustre in the late 80's & early 90's as they went low end mass market. However, they made a great comeback in the 90's and still put out flagship models like these that give a great price/performance ratio. These retailed at $1895 but during close out you could find them in places like Crutchfield for $1600 & finally close out at CC for $1200.
The bass w/ these speakers is very system dependant as well as cable sensitive. If you use crappy RS wire the bass will be dull and boomy b/c you hve to have the amps up full blast. However, as I moved up in cable the bass and sound improved dramatically!! Went to MIT T2 and thought the large sub was on at first! HAd to turn amps down to half way! Ended up w/ Stealth Premier Copper which are Cardas Golden clones and now bass is even tighter and faster and must keep bass amp at quarter volume or lower! Many I suspect will never place the kind of cable on these puppies to bring out their potential. Also, friends come over and sometimes want to turn the amp volume up for that BIG bass impact sound which really bloats your room. If the right amp and cables are used PLEASE keep the amp at quarter volume or less! The bass here is very tight and fast! Extremely articulate w/ great slam and NEVER FORGET BASS IS SOURCE DEPENDENT! Some CDs just don't have it so don't force it w/ the volume! Just My Two Cents
Enough about bass, but wanted to cover it as many buy these for the subs. I moved on from HT Receiver, Denon 4800 to seperates for music. Using the Bel Canto DAC 1 w/ Theta Data Basic II transport and a nice Tube Pre amp from Anthem I really started to enjoy these speakers. Hooked things up w/ Cardas Golden Hexlink 5-C, JPS SUperconductor & Harmonic Tech Pro Silway MK II interconnects. Power cords from ESP Essence, Gutwire G-clef, & JPS POwer AC/DIgital AC. Now these speakers really SING! Great soundstage that has very good center fill as well as extending well beyond the speakers. I have had friends get up to check if the center speaker is on b/4! Mid range is very good and they seem to get Piano down fairly well which is a tough job to do. Female vocals are to die for! Very smooth and detailed w/o sibilance problems. I am now moving on to Silverline Sonatina speakers as the upgrade bug bit me hard this year. They do some things better than my faithful RS-10 but at $4,000 a pair they should! Miss the bass sometimes though. Think I may keep these for when I get another room and can totally seperate HT form music. Don't let the name fool you these are serious speakers that will perform according to what you hook them up to.

Submitted by Long time Audiophile a

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
Absolutely phenomenal speakers.

Submitted by Sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2000

Bottom Line:
Not bad speakers for the price. I wouldn't pay the original $1200 for a set, but you can find a good price on them at UBID.
I notice distortion from time to time, but generally they sound good for both video and music.

The rest of my system is as follows:
JVC 774 reciever
JVC 334 cd player
JVC SVHS
JVC 701 DVD
Philips CDR-W

I bought every component from UBID. You can generally find products for 1/4-1/2 the price their advertised for at stores like CC and Best Buys.

Purchased At:   UBID.com

Submitted by ED CADORNIJA a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2000

Bottom Line:
Like I said, It's probably the best of its kind. These babies are great specially for music listening. I have a nice home theater set up (QSP-1 for surround and CC3 for center and 53" TV), but I know I bought RS-10 for music
listening first then home theater. The only way I wouldn't have bought the RS-10 is if I would've bought Martin Logans(Oh yeah! I couldn't afford them). I don't want to get specific about the highs and mids, etc., but like most, the sound of the built-in sub sold me. Besides, the best way to judge speakers is listen to them.