Infinity Systems Reference 2000.6 Floorstanding Speakers

3.76/5 (51 Reviews) MSRP : $390.00

Ported w/ 2 6.5in woofers, 1in tweeter

Submitted by gdush a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Bottom Line:
It was necessary for me to put them on carpet. I spiked them, but did not get the bass I was hoping for. It was good, but not as good as on weed floors. I ended up getting 2 pieces of 12 x 12 marble tile and drilling holes for the feet to go through. I extended the spikes and bolted them to the marble pieces. This way I could spike them and get a hard surface for the port. Quite happy with the tweak. Greg

Submitted by MarkKlingon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
As a musician, I'm used to critical listening, at every sound level. After owning just about every type of speaker ever made, I decided to give Infinity a try. The Reference 2000.6's caught my eye while shopping.because they're beautiful speakers. I asked for a listening test with my own CD I'd brought along for my own listening reference (always a good idea when testing audio equipment). I was immediately taken with the clarity of the highs through it's 1" silk dome tweeter. The midrange was clear, but I was initially skeptical that the two 6.5" woofers could reach their rated 35 Hz, but after a few minutes of trial, I decided if they weren't hitting 35 Hz, they were getting very close. I liked the sound they were giving me. Besides, I already knew they were to be mated with my powered sub anyway.

I loved their sensitivity rating too! 92 dB spl is pretty darned good, and when you give these speakers a great amp, they'll produce sounds that will rattle the rafters. In fact, Infinity claims they'll put out 115db at their maximum output. That enough to harm your ears if listening at that level for an extended period. I can't imagine using a 200 watt amp on these babies, but I'm sure it would be impressive. I found it hard to believe these speakers were rated to handle 200 watts, but what do I know?

Since I knew I was going for a whole system, I wanted them to be timbre matched, so I later purchased an Infinity CC3 center channel speaker. All I can say is when I switched from my JBL center channel to the Infinity CC3, it just sounded "right". Again, Infinity's sweet-sounding 1" silk dome tweeter really makes dialogue intelligible at any sound level. With the front speaker stage set, and getting 105 clean watts to each speaker, I was really enjoying the sound with clarity. Unfortunately, I waited too late to buy the matching surrounds for these models, mainly because I was put-off by their price.

So, what are you gonna get if you buy a pair of Infinity 2000.6's? Good, clear, efficient sound transducers, Except for the clothe on the front of the cabinet the creators used as resistive absorbers to keep certain sound waves from causing distortion by being reflected off that surface, they'll also be very durable speakers. The woofers are co-injected poly, with rubber surrounds, they'll last forever...and the tweeter is silk, one of the strongest pound for pound substances known to man. I'm glad I insisted on buying a speaker pair that was durable, because if you now go to the Infinity website, and ask for replacement parts for the 2000.6's, they'll tell you that you're out of luck, and to contact their parent company Harman Kardon.

As many have noted in previous reviews, a subwoofer is desirable if you're really into movies with lots of bass. I found for just music though, the 2000.6's gave ample bass. I've used my 2000.6's with and without a subwoofer, so I know there are sonic advantages to having one. I really don't think any pair of main speakers made wouldn't sound better with a quality subwoofer backing them up, do you? Heck, even the high-dollar speaker makers like Legacy Audio, make subwoofers, and show them being used with even their most highly acclaimed main speakers, which produce bass well down into the 20 hertz range effortlessly. As humans, we definitely have an emotional impact from bass impact on our ears, and bodies. So any pair of main speakers you choose are going to be seem better with a powered subwoofer backing them up. However, technically speaking, many subs actually muddy the sound (no matter how much tweaking you do with the controls, and placement).

I'm sure there are a few speakers that could compete with the 2000.6's for the price I paid, which was $274.99 each. I actually paid more for the center channel speaker, the Infinity CC3 at a whopping 299.95 from Crutchfield....and THAT was on sale for $100 off their list price! Infinity is proud of the CC3, as well they should be, considering it's made of aluminum, has timbre matching controls, and sophisticated circuitry inside it's crossover. I'll also note that Infinity didn't skimp on the inside of the 2000.6's, either.

The 2000.6's only drawback? I have to agree with the previous reviewer who claimed adjusting the floor spikes on carpet to be a pain. It seems like no matter how long your tweak on them, you can never get them to become as stable as they can be when all four are keeping the speaker cabinet anchored to the floor (which is why they really made them in the first place). There always seems to be a bit of wobble that's very difficult (though not impossible) to fix...given the time, and patience.

Happy listening!

Submitted by Eeyore a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
Bought a pair off of E-Bay..LOVE The Old (er) Infinity sound! You have to use the "spikes" to raise them off the floor but the bass is fine! I moved my RS-4s to the rear of my system,have a Mirage Omni-10 as a sub and Infinity Beta c-360 for a center.who said you have to have new???

Submitted by v3pcbl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
These speakers are a good value. As noted by others the bass is there with an amp. I bought these for a 2nd system, using a 100w yamaha. Then hooked them up to a 100w adcom. Huge difference. Bass much tighter and there. Also own klipsch and a/b them in my home with friends paradigm monitor 9. Paradigm has better bass, but not by much. Infinity has better highs and upper mids. If you want solid bass at high levels, this is not the price range, and these speakers do everything and more for something in this price range.

Purchased At:   new at generic retai

Submitted by song_Hopkins a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have this pair of 2000.6 for six years already. They sound excellent especially in Jazz or Classical musics - clean and clear. Very well built, nice looking. Sound best in high and mid-ranges.

I used to think of their bass lacking but! since I moved to my new place, bass was up. I guess they'd be positioning sensitive then.

I have been using this pair of 200.6 with H/K AVR-25 MKII.

Purchased At:   SoundCity