Infinity Systems Kappa 5.1 Series II Floorstanding Speakers

4.2/5 (10 Reviews)

3 way, bass reflex design

Submitted by Douglas J a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2017

Bottom Line:
These being older speakers, I'm writing this review for people who might have stumbled upon them either second or third hand. At this point, it isn't unusual to find them for $50. You might even find them in the garbage because many owners are under the impression that rotted surrounds means their speakers are blown.

About these speakers, if you do come across them and are unsure about them, they're really nice. They aren't audiophile quality, but you won't be getting audiophile quality out of a speaker from the 90s that retailed for about $600 when new. But what you will get is one heck of a fine tweeter. The tweeters in these are as good as any. These Kappas can seem a little distant in the midrange depending on what kind of music you like. I've found them to be fairly versatile. They can be driven rather well by anything halfway decent. You don't need a ridiculous amp to push them. Anyone who tells you differently is wrong. I've connected them to a menagerie of systems from a really powerful B&K amp to a mid-70's Scott receiver that pumps out 45 wpc. I currently have them powered by a rather average, 15 year old Denon home theater receiver. They sound good no matter what and go plenty loud enough.

One thing about them that I particularly like is that they are comfortable playing any genre of music. Not all speakers pull this off. Many suffer when playing rock but sound great with jazz or classical. These handle all really well. If I have a complaint about them, and it's probably unfair of me to hold them to such a standard, is that I feel that I can hear the cabinet at certain, low frequencies at moderately high volumes. Maybe I'm imagining it. If you find yourself staring at a pair of these and can get them with the surrounds already replaced, pay up to $200 for them. The tweeters alone sell on ebay for $100/pair, and you can get close to another $100 for the other drivers. You can't lose. But you should be able to get them for much less than $200. And if they need new surrounds, search youtube for how to install replacements. The foam surrounds themselves can be bought for $20-30 for a kit that includes glue and brushes. I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in these speakers considering the going price these days. With proper placement, these really are a nice speaker with big sound in a not so big enclosure. I'm not all that familiar with more modern Infinity speakers, but from what I've read, speakers of this time marked the end of an era for Infinity. The EMIT tweeters were expensive and Infinity stopped using them. Collectors largely ignore what came later. They even ignore these to a lesser extent. That's OK with me. It keeps the price of this era low enough to make a quality speaker very affordable. Hopefully, this information has helped you make your decision.

Submitted by Paul a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2015

Bottom Line:
I'm not absolutely positive about the year my pair of Kappa 5.1's were originally purchased. I was told late '90's. I got them free from a family member in 2013. The foam surrounds had deteriorated and he was not interested in repairing them. Replacement parts and repair kits are still widely available. With very little effort and a very small investment, they were fully functional again and sounding great. They have fantastic bass response and excellent high frequency extension. That tweeter is fantastic. They are missing a little in the mids, but if you use the Kappas as front mains and add center channel as part of a theater setup, you won't notice. I use mine primarily for home theater, but also for stereo music. Wide frequency response makes them great for modern music/ rock. They spent some time with both old Kenwood and Primare amplifiers. Great speaker to find used, but do expect to repair the foam surrounds on the woofer and mid-range driver after about a decade of use.

Submitted by Zoro'sZipper a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
For shear musicality you can't beat the Kappas. Not for the price, that is. I paid $450 in 1995 which was a 25% off sale price. I state the price I paid to make the point that I was on a very limited budget and didn't expect to be able to get superior quality sound for less than $750. I found the Kappa 5.1s at the lately departed Circuit City. I couldn't believe my ears that they were as inexpensive as they were. They easily outdid all equally priced competitors and more expensive models, too. My only complaint is the midrange could be a little stronger. I have since heard the Kappa 6.1s which have a much better mid range driver that is extremely crip and full. CC didn't have the 6.1s at the time so the 5.1s came home and have been pumping out amazing sound for 15 years.

The bass is very good for an 8 in. driver, tight and rarely punchy. Coupled and low pass filtered with a sub woofer the 5.1s can blast beautifully at 100+ watts. The character is warm and full thanks the the cabinet wood and size. Modern plastic or composite speakers can't compare to sound from good wide wood. I will probably keep them for another 15 years.

Submitted by Edward Z. Rosental a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
For shear musicality, the Kappas are hard to beat. The emitter twitter is a marvel. The overall sound is very well balanced and smooth. I feel the midrange could be stronger, the Kappa 6.1 midrange is much fuller and crisp, but I cheaped out and stuck with the 5.1s. The bass is very well defined and tight, especially for an 8 inch driver. The cabinet wood and size are a major plus.

As front speakers they are transparent, in fact as a center channel its excellent. If coupled with a good powered sub, they don't miss a beat and can blast 150+ watts easy. Modern Speaker boxes are usually plastic or mixed materials that just don't have the warmth and depth of good wide wood. Use 'em every day. 15 years old and going strong.

Submitted by Jim Provencher a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Others also metioned these speakers sounded better than their larger siblings and I agree, that is one thing which prompted me to purchase these. The larger Kappas were much more costly and didn't seem to produce the clarity in the highs and midrange of the 5.1. I would give them 5 stars in their price range, but will give them 4 overall. Obviously you can find better speakers if your willing to spend a lot more money, but these are incredible in their price range.

My system:
Onkyo TX-SV919THX
Onkyo ED-901 AC-3 processor
Infinity Kappa 5.1 fronts
Energy RVS-1 center speaker
Infinity in-walls (surrounds) don't remember model#
Onkyo Integra M-504 amplifier