Infinity Systems IL40 Floorstanding Speakers

4.49/5 (45 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

video-shielded frequency response 38-22,000 Hz (±3dB) 8-ohm impedance sensitivity 89 dB handles up to 175 watts vinyl finish

Submitted by cnraab a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2017

Bottom Line:
I purchased these towers on craigslist for $150. It was money well spent. My speakers were in excellent condition. The previous owner took great care of them. The wood veneer is a very dark grey/black with a very interesting wood grain.

I am very impressed with the sound quality I am hearing with these speakers. The high's are very mellow but articulate at the same time. But the mid range is probably the best part of the speaker. The lower mid-range is very punchy and focused and not bloated. Vocals sound very natural.

Some reviewers have stated that the speaker lack bass. I have to disagree. There is plenty bass from these speakers. I even have them nearly 18 inches from the wall behind them. On some recordings you can definitely feel the low bass. I do have a small 8 inch sub connected though and even when I disconnect the subwoofer I can still get some very good low end.

I have the speakers connected to a Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi using 12 guage oxygen free speaker wires. The speakers are bi-amped(no significant difference in audio between bi-amp and not). My DVD/CD/SACD player is a Denon 2910. Playback is via the analog connection between the Denon and receiver. The Pioneer is set to play back in Pure Direct using MCACC to compensate for room acoustics. Subwoofer is connected to the preamp output so the Infinity's and the subwoofer are in a 2.1 setup.

This setup is working very well for me. Even if I didn't have the subwoofer the Infinity's are more than adequate as a full range speaker in a 2 channel setup. I highly recommend these speakers if you can find them reasonably priced. Perfect for a 2 channel audio setup.

Submitted by cone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2014

Bottom Line:
Purchased these off CL for $100 which is a steal. They have the soft highs/warm bass Infinity is known for. Some might find the tweeter too rolled off. Transparency and imaging is superb. However, as with most Infinity towers, the bass can be overtwhelming at times which makes for a challenging listening experience. In this regard, the newer Primus 360 is far more balanced product. I experienced the same challenges with the Alpha 50s. The Primus line makes up a lot of ground being made in China although its price point was below both the Alpha, Interlude, and Beta lines.

Submitted by matthew gilley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got these speakers refurbished from the Harman ebay store. The price I paid was great for my tastes. I see lots of these hardcore audio- stereo- home theater- video- "I know it all and think I am the dang stuff and want you to feel like crap"-philes and they think its a bad speaker. I am not one of these guys and done have all the 'experience' they do.
But I do know that the setup I currently have (below) sounds better than any one of my friends or thier parents systems. Granted I am only 20. But I have been around some apartment parties and know I have seen setups that cost a lot and more than what I paid and didnt sound as good as my setup.
H/K 7000 $550
H/K DVD 50 $220
IL 36 $230
IL 40 x2 $250
IL 10 x2 $130
IL 120 $300

Also, I really suggest looking around online for some tips and tweaks to make your system sound better. The room and what is in the room really have a TON to do with how your setup sounds. www.dolby.com has good respected advice. Fooling around with the way things are setup is quite fun (for me at least) and really can make this system or a similar one sound noticeably better.
Many people complain about the bass (sounds like base, but is written bass) These speakers were designed for a sub, wait a minute, is that why infinity makes an IL 120 and 100??? The sub I have really makes listening more enjoyable, however for neighbors I doubt it does and not everyone likes powerful bass you can feel / shakes your house. I currently run these speakers as small (80Hz) and feel they provide an ample transition to the subwoofer.
I think some of the best music to test speakers with is symphonic. The variety of instruments (frequencies tones and positions) gives the listener good material to listen to.
Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase and would recommend this setup or a similar one to anyone that enjoys music and home theater but feels much of the equipment is overpriced. I definitely will stress to trust your own ears and not someone that says he knows a lot. I am not saying dont listen to her or him, but make your own opinions.

Purchased At:   Harman Ebay Store

Submitted by Skimaxpower a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
As a college student investing in my first true stereo, these speakers fit the bill perfectly. I've had my fair share of Aiwa/Sony/Panasonic bookshelf systems. I got tired of them. I knew they sounded awful and I needed a real stereo. Enter the IL40. I was on a budget, but I would rather drop $1000 on quality than $500 on crap. These speakers present a great value. I paid only 500 for the pair. I believe the Interlude line is out of production, but they are still widely available. This means good things for the consumer. You can get them for a good price - I paid $500 for the pair, and I could have got them for less if I wasn't picky about color.

The speakers are sturdily built and very attractive. The gold plated binding posts are well constructed. High end sounds very clear. Mid range is the real winner in my book. These speakers reflect the studio experience for just about everything I listen to, from Gershwin to Radiohead. Their main weakness is bass. I would invest in a powered sub, but my dorm neighbors would hate me even more.

Be sure to let the speakers break in. The woofer especially needed weeks to sound good.

I have the IL40s biwired with a HK 3470 stereo amp, and monster Z2 biwire cables. For the record, the cables are overrated, and the HK amp delivers on a daily basis. The speakers are extremely efficient. Combined with the powerful amp, I've been unable to turn it up past half way without being blasted out of the room.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by Uncle Albert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I consider these a superb value for the price I paid, though I'm not sure I could justify the $1,000 list price. Excellent high and midrange detail, bass is good but limited by the capabilities of my Pioneer receiver, but my Entra Sub does an adequate job of picking up that slack. Planned upgrades include bi-wiring them with a Denon AVR-3802 and POA-5200.

Purchased At:   NE Furniture Mart