Infinity Systems Epsilon Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Chris Seymour a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
First of all, there are two "Epsilon" forums here, with the other one listed as "IRS Epsilon," which is technically correct. I will post a full review of these in the "IRS.." forum with the others, but I wanted something here for those other uBidders and potential other reviewers to find. Let's try to keep the reviews in the "IRS" area.

BIG NOTICE TO THE UBID PURCHASES!! Fortunately I am familiar enough with the Epsilons to know everything that is supposed to be included with an "Epsilon system." uBid only shipped me two speakers, without the Servo Control Unit (SCU), proprietary servo cables (to hook into that 4-pin jack in the back), and the manual.

If you operate these without the SCU, the mids/ highs will function fine as the crossovers are passive (in the speaker). If you hook an amp into the woofer without the SCU, the signal will not be servo-controlled (a huge feature of the Epsilons), nor will it be crossed-over. I'm not doing that as they sound disfunctional without the critical electronic box.

I'm still working on getting everything, but want to warn the others. I'm not yet sure I'll be able to get the rest, but please email me to find out the status, or what to do. I also have a scanned full copy of the original Stereophile January 1995 product review. Either email me for it, or buy the back issue - it's a very complete review and essential for any Epsilon owner.

Since I have to give ratings, I have heard these in their full glory so I'll give them a 5. Also, the uBid price made this a tremendous value, so another 5. I will be more detailed in my upcoming review in the "IRS Epsilon" folder.

I just hope I don't have to return these.

cseymour@watlow.com