Infinity Systems 2000.4
Description: Ported 6.5in woofer, 1in tweeterr

Submitted by thekid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2007

Bottom Line:
While this product is older I thought I would provide a more current review for those who may come across a pair of these in the secondary resale market. I was fortunate to find a pair in excellent shape and have hooked them up to a Pioneer VSX-516. The sound quality is very good with strengths in the mid and high ranges. While Infinity calls these Floor Speakers I would argue they are more like bookshelf speakers with intergrated stands. The "deep ported" design is I think meant to add/create bass these speakers do not provide the deep bass normally associated with floorstanders as compared to book shelf models. They are not totally lacking bass it is just that as others have mentioned they can use a little help from a subwoofer. I have been playing mostly classical music with them and the clarity and imaging is very good. I would recommend them for anyone looking for speakers to fill a small to medium sized room. I also experimented with using them as the front pair in my HT set-up and they meshed well with the Bose VCS-10 and 161'S. They are also styled well and have a high WAF and have a small foot print.

Purchased At:   Salvation Army

Submitted by Patrick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I got a pair of the Infinity Reference speakers through J&R Electronics in Manhattan during a clearance sale. I
was looking for a pair of floor standing speakers for my apartment that were attractive as well as having great
sound capabilities. I compared them with other speakers for that price range in the listing room and I was very
pleased how the sound cut through the room. The mid and high levels were extremely crisp and clean but I
wasn't pleased with the bass at all. I decided to purchase them anyway because you couldn't beat the price. After
2 months of constant use, I decided I needed a subwoofer. I had the base control turned all the way to the max
on my 70 watt Yamaha receiver and that was only producing a decent bass sound. I notice all the stress I was
putting on the woofers and was afraid of damaging them. I when and got the BU-1 subwoofer from Infinity
without even testing it out and couldn't believe the difference when I hooked it up. The speakers themselves
were only producing half the base the subwoofer could and that was turned all the way up. Now I have the base
level a 5 and get twice the base without putting to much stress on the Reference speakers. I would recommend
the speakers if you can find them or the RS-4's which are supposedly even better.

Submitted by Chad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
Pretty good speakers. Bought them for $380 a pair and was glad that I did. Tough to beat for that price.

Submitted by JACK a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
HAVING OWNED SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS WORTH OF STUFF FROM MAGNEPAN TO SNELL BACK TO DALQUIST TO DEFINTIVE TECH TO BOSTON ACOUSTICS TO JBL TO NHT AND THEN SOME I HAPPEN TO FIND THIS SPEAKERS ABOUT AS EASY TO LISTEN TO AS ANY I HAVE EVER HAD. TRUE, BASS IS A TAD SHY, BUT WITH THE RIGHT ELECTRONICS, AND A GOOD SUB(NOT A PIECE OF JUNK) THIS LITTLE DEVILS ABSOLUTELY SAIL. DAMARK STILL HAS SOME 50 PAIR (SOME IN CHERRY) LEFT AT 200.00 PER. SO DO YOURSELF A HUGE FAVOR, BUY THIS LITTLE GEMS AND SIT BACK AND LISTEN, AND ENJOY.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by jac a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 19, 1999

Bottom Line:
i recently recieved these speakers after bidding on(what i thought)were rs4's from an on-line auction site. the prompt displayed r 2000.4 but photo/product description were of rs4. before bidding i contacted the company and was advised that "what is shown/explained is the product you will recieve". needless to say what was delivered was the r 2000.4 NOT the rs4. i contacted the auction site and they advised that their are no rs4's and a mistake was made. approx. 60 pr. of r 2000.4's were auctioned off to people thinking they were getting rs4's. after contacting the company i was offered the choice of returning them pre-paid or getting some $ credit back to me. i listened to the rs4's and knew their sound but not the r 2000.4. after hooking them up i knew their was a difference. the rs has more bass response and slightly better imaging. the diff between the two are bottom ported(r) vs. rear port(rs) , newer cross-overs in rs and more cabinet bracing in the rs.the tweeter and driver design are the same. i have a powered sub so the bass issue wasn't a concern. the bottom line is that i got these speakers NEW , not used , for less than $ 150./pair delivered. they are not as good as the rs4 but they still sound great for that price. it should be noted that this is the 3rd set of speakers that i bought from this auction site and have had no problems. they were willing to work with , and correct , their mistake. for audiophile sound i will rate these speakers a 3 but for the price i got them for they would rate higher than a 5.

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener