Infinity Systems Kappa 9.2 i Series 2

Submitted by Waldman Jordaan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2010

Bottom Line:
I just love these 2 oak coffins.

Pretty much everything has been said already - just beautiful sound from these 2 monoliths!

Anyway, I'd like to add how to get great sound from them on a shoe string budget.

There must be many other ordinary people like myself that do not have the financial means to go and pick out whatever you like, but have a critical ear and appreciate good sound.

I like classical, 80's pop, house, reggae, classic hard rock, etc. so I needed a system that can cater for just about anything.

I got the speakers at a steal, so that part of the equipment was a no brain-er. The challenge was to get the other equipment together to compliment my new babies.

On my meager budget, it turned out to be a real challenge. At the time I had an AV amp Yamaha DSP-AX1 as well as a 100W/ch integrated amp (Rotel RA-1070) with damping factor of 400. When I saw these 4 12" woofers the first time I realized that 'damping factor' would play a very big role to control these huge cones. This gave me the idea to go for a power amp with a very high damping factor. The best value I could find at the time was a used Rotel RB-980BX, 120W/ch, damping factor = 1000. It did control the bass extremely well, but the high end was not as impressive, as I later discovered. I was using the RA-1070 as a pre-amp from here-on.

I did a lot of research, saved some money and later bought a used Rotel RB-1080 (200W/ch, damping factor = 1000). It was ok, but It was running hotter (which I really did not like), than the RB-980bx, so I advertized the RB-1080 again. At this point I was quite disappointed and just thought I'll stick with the RB-980bx power amp and the RA-1070 used as a pre for now and later start looking again. I was lucky that someone wanted to purchase my RB-1080 to replace his 'light weight' RB-981 power amp to drive his center channel speaker. I read up on the RB-981 and offered to take it as a part trade for the RB-1080 that he wanted.

The RB-981 is 130W/ch and damping factor of 500. As soon as I received it, I did a comparison and as I suspected it did a brilliant job of the highs, blowing the socks off both the RB-1080 and the RB-980bx (for the highs).

So, I now had my bi-amp combo: RB-980bx for the bass and RB-981 for the highs - very, very happy!

Sources and pre-amp was the next challenge:

I was using the RA-1070 integrated as a pre-amp. It was pushing 5Volts, which is pretty loud, but had a pre-amp hum since new. It was barely audible, but it really bugged me, so I sold it. It was also running a bit hot, even with its amp switched out, so I sold it.

I dabbled with a few pre-amps as well as AV amps as pre-amps. Eventually I saw the light and decided to try my iPod directly, using its built-in pre-amp. Wow! Obviously the best pre-amp, is NO pre-amp at all!

So, I gave up a CD played and tuner - so what? I had ripped all my cd's anyway.

Source:
I had used various Apple iPods for many years and some are better than others. The best of the best is my latest (by a huge margin) the 3rd Generation iPod Touch 64GB. The sound is just absolutely in a different league to all the previous iPod's.

So now I am running the Apple iPod Touch 64GB in the original iPod Dock with IR remote. I use the original Apple iPod AV cable, power supply and IR remote that came with the dock. I then split each of the left and right RCA's to the 2 power amps, which Bi-amp the two Infinity Kappa 9.2i Series II speakers.

The whole system uses no more than 50 Watts AC power, has no hum or line/gain noise what-so-ever.

Oh-yes, I made up my own speaker cable, using old ICL inter-mainframe comms cables - it took many, many hours stripping very fine strands with my finger nails, as it is very fine and fragile (each individual strand), but it was well worth it. I have tried many branded speaker cables, but my home made ones are best by some margin IMHO and seems totally transparent.

I am done looking for 'better' equipment. I am very, very happy with my whole system... on a shoe string.

I hope someone out there can get some inspiration from my journey and not just settle for an off-the shelf system that can never give you the satisfaction of a well sorted custom system.

Submitted by Johnsen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is just a supplement to my last review, with some corrections.
It is a couple of years ago since I wrote it, and a lot has happened. I have learned a great deal, and tried a lot of equipment.

I now have my third pair of Kappa 9.2i, these ones are in beautiful black finish. (The other two pairs I have had was oak)Since my last review, I have purchased and tested both Infinity Renaissance 90LE, Infinity Kappa 9a,Dali Helicon 800 and the ultra large and expensive Usher Compass Dancer CP 8872.(11.000 USD)
Non of these speakers can can match the Kappa 9.2i. The closest ones were the old 9`s, but in my room the 9.2i was clearly better, deeper bass response, cleaner bass, more neutral and coherent top end. The Dali speakers was also good, but lack real deep bass. But with a good subwoofer or two they should be fine!
All the other speakers are now sold, and my third pair of 9.2i is the only ones left standing after this 2 year long "shootout" The only speaker I have heard that I like more is the Revel Salon Ultima, but I don`t want to spend that much. And I doubt they would make me more happy, only more poor...
In my last review I wrote the following: "It delivers 11 hz - 6 dB, 16 hz - 3 dB and 27 hz - 1 dB"
Now I have discovered the world of good subwoofers, and clearly these informations are wrong. The Kappas deliver 27 hz -2 dB, and in my room they play 25 hz linear. But thats it, they roll off quite steep and do not deliver anything worth mentioning below 25 hz.
But my SVS subwoofers does :-)
I have a PB2+ and a PC2531+, they are amazing and delivers powerful clean bass to down to 16, 20 or 25 hz depending on how you tune them. My choice is 20 hz, incredibly low and with great punch. ( I have heard and owned a lot of subs now, SVS is in a class of their own, highly recomended!)

I have a YBA Passion stereo power amp now(114 pounds net weight), it is a masterpiece and drives the Kappas to their limits effortless. But at the price of 10.000 USD it should :-)
The top-end with this amp is much better than with my previous amps, no fatigue.

Together with my SVS subs the Kappa 9.2i delivers world class performance. I have been at hifi shows the last week, listening to B&W 800 Signature, JBL K2 S 9800 and other expensive speakers driven by ultra expensive Mcintosh and Classe`amps. Non of these setups comes close to my own, not only according to me but also according to friends that have listened to my setup and the other setups mentioned.
I am also a great enemy of expensive cables, I use normal good cables and the result is great. But I guess I will buy some expensive stuff when I get more cash, just for fun :-)
Now I am going home to unpack my new JMLab Micro Utopia Be that will be used in my new room in a second setup :-)

Purchased At:   Stockholm

Submitted by Johnsen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Bought these beauties in 1996, the salesperson tried to make me buy the 8.2i because they were easier to drive. But I didnt like the sound of the Kappa 8.2i when compared them to the 9.2i, no match at all !The bottom octaves are reproduced so much more natural and effortless by the 9.2i than any other speaker I have heard, and this is what makes the whole soundstage so natural and beautiful. The mids and top is also very natural and much better than any other speaker I have brought home to test. I would gladly buy some better speakers if somebody made them, but so far I have only been disappointed, but of course happy too.Its a true full range speaker. It delivers 11 hz - 6 dB, 16 hz - 3 dB and 27 hz - 1 dB.The B&W Matrix 801 s2 also have a very deep sub bass reproduction, (20 hz - 2 dB)but can not play very loud compared to the Kappa 9.2i. My brother have a pair of 801, but even powered with his Chord 1200 C (10.000 USD/315 watts into 8 ohms)they can not produce the wanted SPL when he have a party.
I am so happy that I bought the 9.2i, it has been so much fun to use them every day and always trying to improve their performance by changing to a better amp. I started with a Kenwood 2X150 watt integrated amp, it was not at all suitable for the task, bass was not tight. Next was a NAD 218, and it worked very well for the price with good woofer control. From this amp on I have enjoyed the speakers 100 %.My first hi end amp was a Nakamichi PA-7 mk2.(225 watt 8 ohms/ 30 kg) This was really beautiful, the speakers were singing like never before, this amp opened up the speakers and both mail and female voices came out in the room with a presence I had never heard before. Only problem was that they could not control the woofers. Their powersupply is only 700 VA, so together with some more powerful amp to drive the woofers its the perfect amp to use in biamp mode. I also tried a ML 333 but it was a huge disappointment compared to the price. I also tried the Meridian 557, but it went into hardclipping when I turned up the volume, so it was really running out of power, very disappointing.
After using the Nakamitchi for a year , I replaced it with Carver X-760 a. It was very strong (380 watts 8 ohms and more than 600 watts in 4 ohms) But it ran hot and shut off every time I had a party. The sound was very good, but the woofer control even much better than the Naka only at appr. 90 %. So I bought a Parasound HCA 3500. Almost as good as the Nakamitchi in the top, and with fantastic woofer control. This amp made the speakers perform very well, and never ran too hot, even if it is always very hot because it is biased into class A up to 15 watts. I would recomend this amp to anyone, its a 36 kg monster with 350 watts into 8 ohms and 500 watts into 4 ohms. Recently I sold it and bought a new one. First I tried Sunfire Signature, it is on paper the best amp for these speakers. 600 / 1200 / 2400 / 4000 watt into 8/4/2/1 ohms. But it did not deliver the slam in the mid bass and bass that I loved so much with the Parasound. It could play even louder, but without delivering the slam it is also a much easier job for the amp. I ended up with Vincent 991 monoamps, 30 kg pr piece,100 watt class A, 365 watts RMS into 8 ohms and 620 watts RMS into 4 ohms measured. Now the speakers perform as never before. After 100s of hours
of break in the sound is to good to be true. Playing Eva Cassidy or Norah Jones its just like they are standing in the middle of my living room, and all nuances of their voices can be heard so clearly its realy scary !! James Taylors new October Road and his two live DVDs are also awesome, really displaying the fantastic soundstage of these speakers. Play Pearl Harbor or Star Wars episode 2 and you can make the whole house shake like crazy !! And with a lot more slam than a subwoofer gives. Its a pity they were never sold in the US. This week I am buing a pair of Renaissance 90. I will get back after comparing.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   nor radio

Submitted by Michael S. a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Ich benutze die Kappa 9.2 als Front-LS in meinem Surround-System. Natürlich bleibt mir da nichts anderes übrig als Bi-Amping zu betreiben. Erstrecht, weil ich als Rear-LS die Kappa 8.1 habe und als Center den Kappa Center B. Ich muss sagen, daß ich noch nie zuvor ein solches tolles und absolut überzeugendes "Surround-Set" gehört habe. Wie sich die Kappa 9.2 im Stereo-Betrieb verhalten brauch ich wohl kaum zu erzählen, einfach waaaaaaahnsinn!

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by ej a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have been an avid audiophile all my life. I have taken the time to research the best components available for the price I could afford and to accomplish the best sound stage I could in my home system. Ten years ago, I was in the military and stationed in Weisbaden, West Germany. The Military Exchange concession in a nearby town called Mainz, was the largest sales outlet in Europe. This sales outlet had a stereo sales department that took up an entire floor of a warehouse. All the brand names were there. I listened to speakers made by Polk, Accoustic Research, Yamaha, Pioneer, Infinity, and many others. I decided to buy the Infinity Kappa 9.2i speakers for my home stereo system. I have never regretted doing so. I got a pair of Kappa 9.2i's for $2695.00! What a steal!
The Kappa 9.21 speakers are a true four-way system. They each have two 12 inch L/C tuned woofers that take bass response down to 16 Hz and have quite a punch. You'll not need a sub-woofer at all with these speakers. The EMIT supertweeter has an impressive octave dipersion with response way past 40kHz. The crossover system used in the Kappa 9.2i speakers helps prevent voice coil heat problems. I have gone through quite a few amplifiers in trying to find the right one to drive these very power hungry speakers. I first used a Yamaha
MX-1000 amplifier. It worked fine but my speakers could handle much more power and would sound much better. I then bought two Cinepro 600X2 amplifiers and bi-amped the Kappa 9.2i's. Well the Cinepro amps put out 528 continuous watts per channel a 4 ohms but they simply did not have the dynamic headroom to power the Kappa 9.2i's and the speakers clipped the Cinepro Amps. These speakers can place a power demand on an amplifier that is as low as 0.9 ohms! So, I turned to a Sunfire Signature Power Amplifier that puts out 1200 continuous watts per channel a 4 ohms, 2400 continuous watts per channel at 2 ohms, and a massive 4000 watts per channel at 1 ohm! The Infinity Kappa 9.2i speakers handled this massive power and really sounded fantastic. These reference standard speakers are not manufactured any longer by Infinity. Some other speaker company bought Infinity out and the line of speakers currently made by Infinity simply does not match performance potential that Infinity had before the buy out. I will say that if you ever have the chance to buy a pair of these Infinity Kappa 9 speakers, don't think twice about it. These speakers are the finest ever made, will give your stereo system a massive improvement, and will lead you to wish they were still available on the market. I give these speakers five stars and more!