Infinity Systems Compositions Overture 1
Description: 3 way spkr/powered sub.

Submitted by Rick Turner a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought these new back when they first came out in 98-99 I guess. Sadly, the divorce decree gave them to my former wife. The good news is that I have liberated them from a life of rust, it came at a heavy price, but I wont get into that. I bought a pair of Klipsch RB-61's, but there is no way they compare, even today after 15 years of use. The point I'm trying to make here is that that these speakers made me get back into my love affair with music and sound. You can buy these for a song today at around $200 a piece and that may sound pricey for 15 year old speakers, but just give them a listen.
The only challenge is the subwoofer and distance to a reflective wall. These really need to be placed no less than 3 ft from a solid wall to reap the full benefits of the 30 Hz they are capable of delivering from the 150w Amp. You really don't need a sup with these.

Submitted by bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
i was given the over 1 by a friend.let me tell you these are fantastic.i replaced a pair of sonus Faber with these,and I'm impressed with how well they sound.they don't sound as good ,but they hold up well.

Submitted by Figaro a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought these when they first came out. They are extremely precise speakers which is why they are so heavy. The magnets and drivers are outstanding. Hi Fi magazine published the result of side by side lab tests for the Infinity Overture series 1,2 &3s . The 1's actually tested and sounded better than the more expensive 2 & 3s. These speakers were so good that they left audio techs scratching their heads trying to figure out why. One theory is that your room becomes the speaker enclosure when these are positioned at room corners 3 feet from each wall. With very precise amps, connects and room placement these will make great sources sound real, good sources sound great and average sources sound good. Infinity stopped production of the Overture series because the 1's were so good, and because of a design flaw in the powered woofer circuitry. Infinity was repairing the woofer shut off circuit for retail customers. Apparently the woofer would shut off after 3 minutes if the bass level stayed below a set threshold. For classical music lovers it was the kiss of death. The repair was warrantied and changed the shut off time to 15 minutes. Without the repair these speakers could be very annoying. The ones selling cheap on EBay are the unmodified speakers. These are the best speakers I have ever heard. for the money.

Submitted by lakers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have used the overture1 for less than a month. And I am very pleased with them. I have been useing them with a proton D1200 amplifier,and NAD preamp. I have owned many different brands of stereo speakers,such as Klipsch Bells,Polk Audio SDA-2A monitors,Bose 601s and 301s Klipsch KG 2.5,Realistic Shure Concert speakers, Peaveys, and currently have a set of Infinity RS-10s that are wonderful.I will get on with the overture1 now,I bought these from ebay for $450.00 and was completely blown away with the volume and sound for a speaker the size of the ovtr they have great Highs very good bass for a powered 8 inch sub the Mid,s are very good but not as good as the RS-10 if you are looking for a great speaker that you can use for Home theater fronts,rears,or for center channel look no farther I thank you will be pleased with these,For any price under $800.00 dollars a set.

Submitted by Marcel Brugmans a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I'm very slow decision maker. Listened to speakers on and off but still used my B&W DM4 bought more than 20 years ago. Needed more brightness especially at low volumes. Didn't know these speakers but saw an ad in the paper for $250 a pair, checked out all the specs & reviews on Internet en drove to the store prepared for another long maybe-yes-maybe-no session. Spent twenty minutes listening and comparing and felt that if I didn't acknowledge this sound quality I might as well die with my B&Ws. Congratulated myself ever since. It's like when I bought a NAD receiver: there is a whole collection of music waiting to be rediscovered.

Purchased At:   Staffhorst Utrecht