Hales Design Group Transcendence 3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.25/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $4490.00

Submitted by John Kawalec a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've got a good deal on these since Hales went belly up.
Beautiful speakers especially without the grilles. Caution, Hales take very long break-in. Do not give full evaluation before you've had them months or more. They might become somewhat rare since they are no longer in manufacture. The build quality is superb along with the sound. Much recommended

Purchased At:   Soundworks

Submitted by Muljadi Budiman a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 1999

Bottom Line:
Some background: This review is made after listening to Legacy Focus and Whisper (Elite DVD and CD Player - forgot model #, with Legacy monoblocks), Martin-Logan Aerius and SL3 (Marantz Receiver and CD Player, forgot amp and DVD player), Hales Revelation 3 and Transcendence 3 (Rotel Amp and CD Player), NHT 2.5i (Rotel Amp and CD Player), 2.9, and 3.3 (Sony 355ES CD Player and Sony TA9000ES amplifier stereo mode), Definitive Technologies BP2000, and BP3000 (Sony 355ES CD Player and Sony TA9000ES amplifier stereo mode), PSB Stratus Silver-i (Rotel Receiver + Amp, Denon DVD Player, and another config which is Bryston amp + Rotel CD Player + forgot what preamp), DynAudio Audience 40 (Krell CD Player and Receiver), Snell (forgot what model, but it's $1400 a pair with McIntosh amp + Sony 5 CD changer player), McIntosh ML4C (Marantz DVD Player with all McIntosh amp/receivers). See my other reviews on these speakers for a perspective of what I want in sound.
All the speakers above I've heard in different places/room/situations/conditions and might affect the judgement of that particular speaker, so take this with a grain of salt, and more importantly, LISTEN to them if you are interested. This is just an OPINION of mine of those speakers I've heard. Full disclosure: I haven't bought any of these speakers, but right now I'm leaning toward the NHT 3.3, since I can buy them (1 year old) at around $2500. All the speakers I've heard will either get 3 to 5 stars, since I don't believe any speakers at this price range is capable of getting 1 star (If they do, how many star is my $10 computer speaker? If it's also 1, I'm sure the speaker reviewed will be a LOT better than my $10 computer speaker). A 5 can only be awarded to live performance, and so far I haven't heard anything that sounded like live performance (meaning you can't distinguish whether an instrument sound came out of a real instrument or a speaker).

Very similar sounding to the Rev. 3, this speaker is more detailed, more enveloping and has deeper soundstage. That said, it is still lacking in the base department and a bit forward for my taste. Seems to be harder to drive than the Rev. 3, so ample equipment power is needed. Base is better than the Logans, but highs are the Logan's forte, as well as soundstagings. Not for me, but a lot of people (the store attendant included) was in favor of Hales speakers.

Submitted by Alex Brenner a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
The Hales literature stresses that the company design aim is musicality above all else; fair enough - the T3s are very musical: relaxed, rhythmic, and pure. However, I can't help but feel that more detail wouldn't go amiss, greater hold on instruments; there is something of the sound of a cheaper speaker in its tendency to let the soundstage homogenise when things get busy. And be warned: despite their heavyweight appearance, they are quite fragile. However, they are still better than most boxes at their price, and relatively unfussy about partnering equipment.

Submitted by Kent a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
By far the best I have heard. I heard it in a hi-end store (K-lab)which also carry wisdom audio. I like the T3 better than the top of the line of wisdom audio.I am not as critical as some of you guys. If I were looking for a piece of equipment, I will buy it if It make me enjoy the music I love better. I was there to check out the R3, but the salesman was kind enough to offer me to listen to best stuff he got for the whole afeternoon.

The T3 is significantly better than the R3 overall. Less bright, smoother, more detail.
The speaker I have now is a pair of Thiel 22, they are good speaker too, but a little bright especially in my small room with no treatmant. Based on what I heard, both of the Hales speaker are smoother than the Thiels. However, I suspect my thiels will perform better in a bigger, and proper treated room. In my room I have a feeling that I am sitting too close to the speaker.

All of above is just my personal opinion, you should also aware of the the upstream equipment at the dealer place is better than what I used.

R3 ****