Hales Design Group Revelation 1 Floorstanding Speakers

3.91/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $995.00

Submitted by Kiru Pakkirisamy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a very good monitor speaker. Good bass, nice treble, sweet maybe not that detailed. Use some silver cables to alleviate this. The midrange is the best part in this speaker. I listen to Loreena Mckennit, Sheila Chandra and Sarah McLaghlan. And am really enjoying the music.The speakers weighs 25lbs each. Place them on good stands and slightly away from the wall to get very good soundstage and imaging. The bass is good for a speaker this size. The speaker has very good control so people may think it does not have 'air' but I think it does fine. I can tell it is very transparent because with system changes or for better recordings I can see the output reflecting it. See www.soundstage.com archives for a professional review.
My Equipment -
Pioneer DVD525/MSB Link DAC
Silver Bullet 4.0 Interconnect
Audio Refinement Complete Integrated Amp
DH-Labs T-14 speaker cable (single run. I think I need to get a thicker cable for better bass).

Submitted by Matthew Cooper a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
After listening at length to selections from NHT, Energy and a whole lot of B&W CDM-SE monitors, I decided on the Hales Rev.1's. This included a two week trial period in my home listening room. The fullness of sound is phenomenal! If you listen to orchestral music or opera you will be floored at the tonal response. Be prepared to back off on your sub though, these small units provide excellent low tones, especially if you are setting them up in a smallish room. You will need plenty of power for them, but the rewards are great.

Submitted by Rich a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1999

Bottom Line:
If you have a large room and can afford to place these speakers on stands a good 5 or 6 feet from the rear wall, and you listen to music at a loud sound level, these speakers might be for you. I found that at moderate to low levels these speakers these speakers perform poorly. Like many people, I live in an apartment and cannot afford enought space to place these speakers at optimum distances. The bass is deep and fairly clean, but overwhelms the mids and the highs. The highs sound muted and don't start to reach an acceptable balance with the bass until the volume is played loud. These are aggressive speakers and lack detail and refinement. Don't get me wrong, they outperform speakers like the Tannoy M2, and have a beautiful real wood finish. However, I think that they are overpriced given their performance. Speakers at this price level should be able to perform well at all volume levels and should be less affected by room boundaries. Your money would be better spent on the Dynaudio Audience 50's or the Audience 60's which considering the price of stands, costs about the same as the Hales Revelation one.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by CD a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with Mike's and Barry's reviews below.The Hales sounded nice but were pretty close to the same money as the Sonus Faber.I auditioned today both the Revelation One and the Sonus Faber Concertinos.As luck would have it,
I listened to the Concertinos first and then compared them to the Hales.This was a mistake because the Hales were simply weaker in all aspects not to mention
significantly more prone to placement problems.I am not bashing the Hales speaker or even saying it sounds bad.All I'm saying is if you are in the market for $1000 bookshelf speakers,you owe it to yourself to hear the Sonus Faber
Concertinos.I believe Paradigm has more bang for the buck(I own Paradigm) but
my next speakers will be the Sonus Faber.On another note-Compare the build Quality of the Hales to the Sonus Faber or even Paradigm .The Hales cabinets make their products look very cheap.

Submitted by Barry a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've auditioned a number of speakers the last few weeks and tried these because of good reviews. They were very disappointing. They were aggressive, with good highs, but were not consistent throughout the spectrum. Parts of the spectrum sounded muddy.
Immediately afterwards, I asked the dealer to put on Paradigm mini-monitors. It was like a blanket was taken off the speakers. They were cleaner, more natural sounding, and all-around better. I followed those with the Paradigm monitor 5, which is a little fuller-sounding, and the ProAc Tablette 2000, which was much more detailed and musical. I think the equipment was a Rega amp and Naim CD player.

For much less money, I would recommend the Paradigms. For about the same money, listen to the ProAc's.