Genelec 1029a Floorstanding Speakers

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

active speaker

Submitted by Hakan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
Boy have I spent too much money on stereo equipment over the last 10 years..and I guess I have learned my lessons..
I have previously owned:
Magnepan2.5R
QLN signature
JM Lab 915.1
NHT 2.5i
and a few other less well known brands
This is my first time I am posting my thoughts and I do so because I feel strongly about these speakers.
I am a person whos listens mostly to R&B music but also play more acoustic music (guitarr..singer/song writer type of music) I appreciate dynamics, clarity as much as the next guy but have always been cautious not ending up with a harsh, fizzy analytical sound. I want to be able to play even poorly recorded albums.
These speakers are originally engineered as studio monitors which you might think add up to a force ful mid band and overly analytical and not suitable as home stereo speakers...nothing could be farther from the truth. The sound is just right!! the integration of tweeter and midband/bass is spot on! It is a super smooth detailed sound...don't worry about it sounding too much like studio equipment..it's a super home stereo speaker. My friends that have heard them and all the other speakers I have owned feel the same way.
I highly recommend a listening session!

Submitted by Burt Burtson a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
These speakers are unbelievable! I don't have the subwoofer and I don't want it. Who needs anything but the clarity and presence that these speakers command. My studio has just been lifted up a notch thanks to these babies.

two words: crystal clear.

Purchased At:   Manny's

Submitted by ANDREJ HRVATIN a

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a good pair of studio monitors and checked Alesis M1, Tannoy system 600A and Behringer Truth, but from the moment I heard the 2029A i knew what to buy. I was convinced by the small boxes only, but I needed the whole picture, so I bought them together with the sub 1091A. They sounded even better and surely much better than any hi-fi speakers in their price category and they can compete even with a lot of high-end & high cost speakers. I also heard the 1030A with 1092A sub, but they didn't convince me more than the small modell - it is the latest of Genelecs products, so it is possible that they outperform the older modell 1030A, even if they cost less. I also heard the 1032A - they are better, but cost twice as much as the 2029A and the 1091A. If I was to compare the 1029A and the digital versions - I would choose the latter, since they have great DA's and easier volume control from the right speaker.
I switched the system like this - 2029A - treble tilt -2 db, bass roll-off ; 1091A -6 db attenuation (near the front wall) - this switching gives the smoothest picture

Submitted by Matthew Lloyd a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm writing this second review because I have now purchased the Genelec 1091 subwoofer and combined it with the two 1029As. The sub is carefully tuned so that when combined with the main speakers, the overall frequency response remains flat. They perform well down to 40Hz which is about as low as you'll hear in most tracks. The subs are just as subs should be - you don't notice them but if you turn them off you can hear the difference!

A great trio.

Purchased At:   Digital Music Village (UK)

Submitted by Kerr Clark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I use these speakers on my Yamaha P-80 keyboard. You could really use them for anything but the Yamaha is a good keyboard and other speakers don't do justice to the quality of the sound sampling. These little speakers are built tough. They feel very durable and are extremely heavy for their size. The sound they produce is unbelievable! The MA-5's are also good little powered speakers but not in anywhere near the same class!

Purchased At:   Tom Lee Music