Focal Electra 915 Floorstanding Speakers

4.62/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $3800.00

multi-driver (4-way) ported

Submitted by alan1572 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2010

Bottom Line:
We bought these speakers to go with our Naim hi-fi, we wanted a big sound and that's exactly what we got, the sound stage is huge and works best with driving rock music but is equally at home with casual soft listening.
they look good with or without the grills, thar require a bit of space between them and the walls and take a few weeks of listening to break them in, a good size room is a must to get the best out of them, buy them, plug them in and enjoy.

Submitted by alan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2010

Submitted by harryjmic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
I wanted a speaker that would be an improvement over the Magnapan 1.6qr without the large size (wife factor). The first speakers I auditioned were the Vienna Acoustic Beethovens, Strausses and Mozarts which were being discontinued at Tweeter. When I listened to the Beethovens at $2700 down from $4300, I really couldn't tell if they would be better than the 1.6qr's, it seemed like, "well they might be but I don't know". The strauss speakers blew the Beethovens away but they were $4300, down from $6400. So I figured how could I swing the Strauss's, a lot of dough. Then I decided to check Audio Consultants web page(the place I bought my Magnepans just to see if they had anything interesting). In the used equipment they had the jm lab 915 electras. I visited the store and had them hook up the speakers along with the 1.6qr and a pair of Revel M20. I first listened to the 1.6qr to establish a reference, then went to the jm lab's. The difference was immediate, I didn't have to second guess whether it was better or not, they were clearly better than the maggies. I know I was comparing a $3800 speaker to a $1700 speaker and it should sound better. When I auditioned the Vienna Beethovens' I had a hard time telling if it was better, considering it sells for new at $4300. I figure if you have to get yourself to like it or make something up to justify it, then it's a bad purchase. After, I listened to the Revels', nice but a little compressed and not as dynamic as the jm lab's. I took the speakers home and hooked them up, the difference was amazing, much better bass response, greater depth, more separation of the individual instruments. Where the maganpan grouped closely pitched instruments as one, the jm lab separates each instrument adding layer upon layer of depth. This speaker sounds better with more complex orchestral music and really makes classical recordings stand out. Not that it doesn't rock but it seems as if it was made to define recordings and extract all the details from the source. I noticed greater details in the highs. Now I can here clearly when the drummer plays on different parts of the cymbol very, very, nice. Overall, I would have spent more and was willing to do so. I am glad that I found these speakers used because I don't think I would have been happy with the Vienna Acoustics.

Purchased At:   Audio Consultants

Submitted by zoran a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
great sounding and looking

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Ertugrul Dalkiran a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
Its a very briliant musical interconect.The best one i used till now.Needs 250 hours to run in.After its geting more and more beautiful.

Purchased At:   Renesaince Audio