Focal Daline 3.1 Floorstanding Speakers

4.69/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $1545.00

2 way transmission line 5in woofer 1in tweeter

Submitted by jimmy hrehoruk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2011

Bottom Line:
I got my daline 3.1 speakers 3 years ago fur $600.00,best money i have ever spent.
I can play any kind of music and the speaker provides everything you can ask for
best speakers cant wait to get the 6.1`s to finish a great system wall to wall...

Submitted by Anonymous a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have only just brought these Focal Daline 3.1's secondhand and I must admit to being a little surprised by their overall performance, you see I am an avid BBC LS3/5a affectionardo and never thought that I would change my views about the accuracy of the mid-band of these diminutive broadcast monitors, but I may have had my mind put through a 180 degree turnaround.

When I first listened to them I was quite disapointed, the HF was lacking in sparkle, the extreme LF was there, but sloppy, and the upper LF was almost non existent, so I set about a couple of minor tweaks and now I am amazed at the difference these changes have made to the overall presentation and tonal character of these small TL speakers.

The HF is now very sweet with fine resolution and detail which has also opened up the sound stage immensely, and now they have 3D not the flat "in the box" original sound. The upper LF has improved too, not quite there yet but they do have a lot more attack and grip to the upper bass and the extreme LF has also benefitted from a tighening of the individual notes and given much improved pace and timing.

How have I achieved this? easy, change the 3.9 ohm series resistor in the HF section of the x-over to a 2.2 ohm, and fill the TL opening with acoustically transparant foam to fit neatly and exactly insde the port opening like a little brick resistive loading, these 2 minor modifications have taken these spekaers to another level and is highly recommended. My next step will be to add some Long Haired wool to the cavity directly behind the bass/mid driver to remove some of the resonant nodes that upset the mid band frequency response, this will also help the upper bass further and then they will be the finest slim TL speakers around.

Submitted by soundwatts a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
These speakers strike a delicate balance they are detailed yet very smooth on top. Midrange is accurate open and clear.Soundstage is extraordinary (better than the audiophysic sparc in my opinion). Also speaker plays music it has an emotional element. Bass is accurate and tight but does not reproduce the lowest octave. All in all a very easy speaker to live with and unduplicated by the newer JM Lab line. This is a cult item if you run accross these you are lucky.

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by madlis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
good!

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Very nice looking, downright tiny floorstanders, with a bigger sound than you would ever expect. I am often tempted to upgrade, but I put on some hard bop, sit back and close my eyes and the feeling passes. Downfall is trying to play some hard rock. Fat electric guitar sound never comes out quite right on the Dalines. So, if you are into acoustic music they are fine.

Purchased At:   Audio Nexus, Summit, NJ