Focal Utopia

Submitted by pe2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2007

Bottom Line:
I saw these speakers in a very reputable hi-fi shop. They were for sale as second hand items. I knew exactly what they were, and when I listened to them - comparing them to the very latest Martin Logan and Quad electrostatics as well as the best B&W can offer, I was taken to audio Nirvana!

These are glorious speakers. They have a sound that is both real and tantalising. Real in that they represent the performance/recording at its very best and in the most translucent detail (without revealing warts and all!). Tantalising in that they make reality sound so much better than it really is!

In my listening room the recorded organ truly rumbles (even more than in my nearest cathedral!), percussion glitters and sparkles with the uttermost grace and the mid range is presented with phenominal accuracy. Voices sound simply wonderful. Opera, orchestral epics, chamber music, jazz, prog rock. It all sounds beautiful. (Whether our house will survive another 400 years is another matter!!)

All this with a 100 watts per channel amplifier (though a good quality one at that!) and a good 'mid range' CD player. The truth is get top knotch speakers and the rest just needs to be 'good'. Then you get real hi-fidelity. It's the speakers that count!

Submitted by Heku a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a replacement for my JMlab Alcor speakers while I stumbled across Utopias. Having had a chance to experiment with a Grande Utopia pair I had high expectations as GU is still my 'reference' speaker...

First of all, Utopia is a great sounding speaker, no denying of that, but there's still something missing. Sound is silky smooth and with the possible exception of slight overpoliteness at upper midrange there's really nothing wrong with them, but frankly, they're not quite as superbly dynamic as Alcors. I have a slight fixation to dynamic range (which has kept me off electrostatic speakers) and maybe I expected too much but it seems that if I ever want to keep that JMlab sound I've grown to love, Grande Utopia is the only way up. Ditto.

Submitted by Bill Bromley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
The balanced dynamics and soundstage of these speakers is the best I have ever heard. They put forth an enriched sound, almost a "sweetness", that has enhanced every instrumental or vocal piece played. If you close your eyes, it is as if you were at a live presentation. Listening to them puts a smile on your soul! -- At these prices, however, I would only consider purchasing them if they can be coupled to high end audio electronics. They need high speed impedence balanced front end equipment to really work properly. If you are in the market for speakers that are among the world's very best, the Utopias are DEFINITLY worthy of your consideration. They are supurb.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by Baptiste John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
The speakers right out of the box sounded dry.After 3 weeks the sound was what I had been looking for.My CJ Premeir 8 could drive them beautifully (Not possible with other speakers I had).
I am glad I bought them.Bass is tight and very controlled and without boom in my rather smallish (14'x17') listening room.
Not for people who want their sound to be too analytical.

Submitted by John Harnick a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
I recently traveled to New York to compare the Utopia's to the Avalon Eidolon.We used the same electronics, digital, cables, etc. This was a very interesting
demo. While we all value different things in music, I can't help but admit that the owner of the store said it right - they (Utopia's) do everything the Eidolon's do plus dynamics. It's true, while Avalon makes a great product, for that kind of money you should get more, a lot more, dynamics. Besides, the Utopia's presentation was better - more forward, in turn more lively. Midrange was seductive, driver intergration near perfect. Bass response was the most commanding I've heard. Overall music involvement was supreme, Eidolon's accounted for. It almost hurts to say that the French have outdone us, but I believe they have.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile