Fluance AV-938 Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $269.00

System type: 3 way - 4 driver Tower Speakers Woofer: Side-firing 10 inch poly-coated driver with 30 oz magnet, 35 mm voice coil Midrange: Dual 4 inch polypropylene drivers Tweeter: Ferrofluid cooled 1 inch pure silk dome tweeter Power handling: 20 - 200 watts Frequency response: 38 - 20K Hz Sensitivity: 89±2dB Crossover frequency: 900/3500 Hz Impedance: 8 Ohms Enclosure: Bass reflex type (ported) Dimensions: 41.5 X 7.3 X 16.7 inches (H x W x D) Weight: 37.6 pounds/speaker

Submitted by shonuff68 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a decent speaker at a reasonable price. I searched several sites and ran across this company. I checked several reviews and thought I just might give them a try. Well I did, and could not believe the sound and the overall construction. I didn't mind the black finish because I wanted them to kind of blend in anyway. These speakers thump and the highs are crisp, I also bought the center channel,which adds a new dimension to my home theater system,contemplating the sub woofer now.

Submitted by Miguel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Bottom Line:
I am the type of person who likes to test out many speakers. After owning many type of speakers out there like Polk, Klipsch, JBL and even higher end models like B&W, Kef,Definitve Technology, Athena, Paradigm. I was very impressed with Fluance.AV-938. The performance was really good and it only cost me less than 300 dollars. The mids are good, the highs are very clear and crisp and the lows are pretty decent not too deep,but it picks up. I would definitely recommend this speaker to anyone. Fluance is not a white van speaker company they are very legit and make some real speakers. Trust me on this!! They are almost comparable to my B&W 800 series speakers. Call me nuts or crazy,but Fluance is serious business for the buck.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by ryan79 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers about a year and a half ago, I was a bit sceptical but I read nearly 200 good reviews. I think I only saw one complaint... these babies are almost flawless. I have av-938's in front the AV-SC center channel speaker and the av-f3 dynamic compact three way hi-fi speakers in the rear. I also bought 100 feet of 8 guage wire or 10 guage wire, can't remember which, but it looks like they only sell 12 guage now. Maybe it was 12? Mine was 100.00 for 100 feet. currently have them running on a Pioneer 7.1 surround receiver, and they sound phenominal! In my opinion they sound better with a sony 5.1 surround, but this is what I have now, so no worries. I went against the word of the gentleman from Fluance who suggested I not waste my money on hi-fi's for the back(because quality would be wasted) and go with the Bipolar Surrounds..I did this because at the time I planned on using them in a different room of the house. When they were hooked up by themselves, they sounded like their own set of surround sound speakers, they have a brilliant crisp sound, and surprisingly good amount of bass for such small woofers. Right now I have them hooked up to my surround in the rears, and I'm only running one set of wires to the rear, so they definitely are not getting used to their full potential, but still sound magnificent! The center channel can be a little flat, but I didn't expect a lot for $100.00, but it does the job better than most I've heard, and I just looked at their website and they're only 69.99, can't ask for a better deal than that. The av-938's sound great and offer up nice sound and bass mixture. I listen to a lot of jazz, as well as big band, and when you can hear ever beat, horn and bass note you know you've got some good speakers! I don't think I'll ever buy a different brand, they have nice customer service reps who are more worried about getting me the right product than making a larger sale, and they're very quick to respond when you email or call. I tell all of my friends about them now, because really nobody has ever heard of them. As far as I'm concerned you won't be dissapointed

Purchased At:   fluance.com

Submitted by Owl256 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
These speakers were purchased to be used in the inexpensive stereo setup in my bedroom. Initially I was not impressed by the sound, but I gave them time to break in and things got better. After about ten hours I analized the sound. The mids and highs are accurate and not exaggerated. When listening to vocals the speakers seem to vanish just leaving the sound. The quality of the higher frequency drivers seem to be very good for the cost of the speakers. What still does not impress me is the lower end of the speakers. The ten inch woofers do not push out as much low bass as I expected even though I have them bi-amped. The sound of the bass is murky and dark. I also think the crossovers on the woofers are way to high. If I was Fluance I would set the crossovers on the woofers at 150 hz put no crossovers on the 4" speakers and keep the tweeter where it is at. Nevertheless a sub kept at a low volume seems to keep me happy. The construction of the speaqkers is exceptional for the price. They are made of mdf, come with spikes, are bi-ampable, and come with high quality drivers. They are beautifull black monoliths a la 2001 space oddassy (Excuse my spelling). In all I think these speakers are great for the price but the bass section could be greatly improved.

Purchased At:   Fluance.com

Submitted by the-good-servant a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
I've seen a few bad reviews on these on other sites by people whom do not even own them nor have they listened to them. I used these for 9 or months. The price seems to good to be true, but for $180 I thought I could throw them away if they sucked. I looked at polk, klipsch, paradigm and others priced much higher. Now obviously they are not B&W or dynaudio or macintosh! What they are is better sound quality than similar Klipsch or polk speakers but for a fraction of the cost. Why spend $600 - $800 for less clarity and a smaller soundstage. Fluance makes a superb speaker at an unbelievable price.

Purchased At:   Ebay