EPI 200C Floorstanding Speakers

4.83/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

Vintage, Built: 1977 - 1980 Response: 34 to 20,000 Hz RMS Power: 15 to 125 watts Driver complement: 8" woofer 1" air spring dome tweeter 12" passive radiator

Submitted by Joey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought this original nice pair of EPI200C about 5 years ago for a large sum of money. I guess it was very well worth it as it was in pristine almost mint condition. I was looking for a nice pair of speakers for my 7355 PP tube integrated amp which I rebuilt from scratch. These 200Cs are just fantastic. It is very easy to drive, the bass is full bodied you can hear it from room to room. The highs are also very nice, much to do with the famous inverted dome tweeter. And the best thing about these speakers, parts are very easy to get through Human Speakers. I always listen to jazz and R&B which are very well reproduced with these EPIs. These will be for keeps as the enjoyment seems to last as time goes by. I am considering horn loaded speakers for my tubes but it won't be in the near future.

Submitted by skiskort a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have the Epicure model 200 which I have recently finished rebuilding ...(new surrounds on drivers and radiators and new x-overs). Before I installed the new x-overs I was so impressed with the full high to low frequency these speakers are capable of, that I rotated them into my main system replacing speakers costing 50 times what you can get these for! These are some of the smoothest speakers I have ever heard, and when my audiophile friend came to hear them he said now you are approaching "audiophile" sound!!! Mind blowing! Get a pair and have fun with out breaking your bank!

Submitted by Ken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have 2 pair of the EPI 100's I got the 200c's for $50 The sound is similar to the 100's but with a passive radiator
the bass is more pronounced. I upgraded the binding posts to accept banana plugs and redid the crossover
with Solen caps. These sound beautiful blows the doors off the crap out there today for $1000
If you can find these grab them highly recommended

Submitted by gfattore a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I received these as cast offs from a neighor with rotted surrounds. They had seen better days, but the cabinets were like new. I replaced the surrounds,rewired with 12Ga. OFC internal cable and eliminated the resistors, installed a new Solens 10uF cap, and installed new gold plated 5 way large binding posts. I also dressed the rubber surround of the passive radiator with silicone grease. They are now much better than new. These actually sound really decent. They are not a "to die for" current design that is competitive with really good mid-fi equipment today, but they are just decent. I am sure they are plenty peaky and dipping running an 8" driver and radiator with no crossover circuit, but they are musical. One thing I will say about the tweeter: I reviewed an older pair of EPII 100's and I said the tweeters were junk, which they were. Apparently, these were the first generation EPI square tweeters and don't age well. these have the more modern "gold ring" tweeters which are very good indeed. Not a focal, but hey, it's a 1980 product. I would recommend these if you want some decent bass, and can pick them up cheaply.

Purchased At:   Gifted from friend

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Still have these babies! These are classic, great entry speakers in the 70's. Definite step up from the great EPI100s. Beautiful Walnut cabinets. Great speaker.Clear crisp sound, great balance. Can take 100W continous. Woofers, tweeters can be repaired/replaced thru "Humanspeakers.com" Great speaker for its time still good. If you're short on the $$$ and can find a pair of these, even the EPI100s grab them!