EPI 200C Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

Vintage, Built: 1977 - 1980 Response: 34 to 20,000 Hz RMS Power: 15 to 125 watts Driver complement: 8" woofer 1" air spring dome tweeter 12" passive radiator

Submitted by skiskort a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have the Epicure model 200 which I have recently finished rebuilding ...(new surrounds on drivers and radiators and new x-overs). Before I installed the new x-overs I was so impressed with the full high to low frequency these speakers are capable of, that I rotated them into my main system replacing speakers costing 50 times what you can get these for! These are some of the smoothest speakers I have ever heard, and when my audiophile friend came to hear them he said now you are approaching "audiophile" sound!!! Mind blowing! Get a pair and have fun with out breaking your bank!

Submitted by Ken a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have 2 pair of the EPI 100's I got the 200c's for $50 The sound is similar to the 100's but with a passive radiator
the bass is more pronounced. I upgraded the binding posts to accept banana plugs and redid the crossover
with Solen caps. These sound beautiful blows the doors off the crap out there today for $1000
If you can find these grab them highly recommended

Submitted by gfattore a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I received these as cast offs from a neighor with rotted surrounds. They had seen better days, but the cabinets were like new. I replaced the surrounds,rewired with 12Ga. OFC internal cable and eliminated the resistors, installed a new Solens 10uF cap, and installed new gold plated 5 way large binding posts. I also dressed the rubber surround of the passive radiator with silicone grease. They are now much better than new. These actually sound really decent. They are not a "to die for" current design that is competitive with really good mid-fi equipment today, but they are just decent. I am sure they are plenty peaky and dipping running an 8" driver and radiator with no crossover circuit, but they are musical. One thing I will say about the tweeter: I reviewed an older pair of EPII 100's and I said the tweeters were junk, which they were. Apparently, these were the first generation EPI square tweeters and don't age well. these have the more modern "gold ring" tweeters which are very good indeed. Not a focal, but hey, it's a 1980 product. I would recommend these if you want some decent bass, and can pick them up cheaply.

Purchased At:   Gifted from friend

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Still have these babies! These are classic, great entry speakers in the 70's. Definite step up from the great EPI100s. Beautiful Walnut cabinets. Great speaker.Clear crisp sound, great balance. Can take 100W continous. Woofers, tweeters can be repaired/replaced thru "Humanspeakers.com" Great speaker for its time still good. If you're short on the $$$ and can find a pair of these, even the EPI100s grab them!

Submitted by Bill a

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
The EPI 200's are large two way floor standing speakers with inverted dome tweeters, 8" woofers and 12" passive radiators. The rectangular boxes are about 32"x24"x11"
The EPI 100 reviews were wrapped in nostalgia, and I did buy these with a test record of Free Fire and water, but they sound great with clasical and acoustic as well as bass heavy rock. They have served me well for these nearly twenty years. I have changed out all my other gear over that time but have stuck with the EPI's.
I am using them with a set of even older EPI towers that have four 6 1/2" woofers and four tweeters in each. The 200's are fronts, and the towers spread the sound over the whole room. The 200's don't require a lot of amplifier power, 1/3 volume on a 60 watt receiver is pretty loud.
The woofer foam surrounds had to be replaced once, and I blew a tweeter with a high volume Photon torpedo sound on my Commodore 64. I have seen some EPI tweeters in which the plastic front twisted from age or heat.
If you find a set with bad surrounds, buy them, they are easy and inexpensive to repair, and you will save money and have better sound than with most of the speakers you would buy these days.