Energy Speaker Systems C-5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.92/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $39.99

The C-5 is the first in a series of floor standing speakers in the Connoisseur line. Designed to be affordable, yet they are capable of stunning musical performances. \nThe dual 6-1/2 woofer configuration with the Energy Tapered 3-way Crossover system in tandem with the 1 aluminum dome tweeter provide the technology behind what you will hear. Deep bass, clear midrange and distortion free treble response is the result.

Submitted by The Grudge a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers! I paid in Canadian dollars. I am very pleased and would easily advise others to audition these speakers. I listen to a wide variety of music and hence really value speakers with true musicality and balance.

I have driven these speakers listening to Tool, Bach, Our Lady Peace, Pink Floyd, Sting, Rush, Thievery Corporation etc. I primarily listen to fairly hard music so strong performance with such recordings was imperative. I find the sound quality and depth of the music very, very nice through the C-5s. Of course rock recordings played load get muddy as screaming guitar and pounding bass does tend to merge into a mass. I listen to my music quite loud and with rock at first I felt a little cheated as the sound can get messy.

To really be sure of these speakers I have spent many hours playing a diverse range of music and recording quality. After really listening to these speakers driven loud and softly with well recorded albums like Tears For Fears - Sowing The Seeds of Love: Sting - Ten Summer's Tales: Toad The Wet Sprocket - Dulcinea: Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth: Thievery Corporations newest album and others I can say with confidence these speakers are very nice.

Bear in mind I have also played a great deal of orchestral and choral music as well and the music remains very well portrayed. My system is decent, but by no means an expensive one. I have an old NAD 3240 integrated amplifier, which is very nice and a new NAD C521BEE CD player. I am currently bidding on a used NAD 2600A power amp that I think will really help bring the music out even more when coupled with the 3240 as a pre-amp. As others have said, you will need to spend more money to do better so give these speakers a very good listen before walking away. If possible make sure you can audition them in your own space to determine whether these speakers meet your needs. Good audio shops allow returns if you aren't pleased so make sure of the return policy before buying!

Purchased At:   Authorized retailer

Submitted by tinhle01 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
they are good speaker, actually, at very best @ their price range. Well, there is nothing much for me to say about the Energy as we all know their sound quality

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Zrrbrrt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers for the mains in my Family Room Home Theater system, but I required speakers that could stand up to 2-channel audio as well. They do it all, and better than anything else in the price range. I evaluated many speakers over a wide price range (martin-logan, magnepan, KEF, Monitor Audio, Definitive Technology, sonus faber, mirage), and nothing came close to matching the overall performance of the C5s. Nice tight bass, great imaging/soundstage, crisp midrange and highs. Partnered with a mid-range Denon receiver (AVR-1082) and other Energy speakers for HT (CC2 center, C3s for surround, and S10.2 sub) most visitors are blown away by the sound of the speakers (at least until they hear the Rotel/DefTech combo in the basement).

Purchased At:   Bob & Ron's

Submitted by jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
these are awesome. I picked up a C1 center channel and 2 C5's for only 811 at goodguys..a steal if u ask me..i have yet to break them in, but they are awesome, flat response, and clean highs...tight bass...i have a denon 3803 and denon 2800mkII dvd player and all thx cables...these things sound so clean its awesome...i got wharfedale 8.1 and dfs for the surround (7.1)...all in all bad ass

Purchased At:   goodguys

Submitted by keiichi77 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
Excellent Speakers for the $999 cdn I paid for them. Well worth the money and much more. These speakers are beautiful, they even sound better then the C7's which I also tested. The two 6.5 inch woofers provide much better bass over the three 5.5 inch woofers in the C7. You could go without a subwoofer with these if you wanted to, they have a really nice bass.

Purchased At:   Schwartz Furniture