Eltax Liberty 3+ Floorstanding Speakers

4.92/5 (12 Reviews)

2 way speaker basreflex

Submitted by Sremac a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2012

Bottom Line:
First of all, I am quite confused with "Floorstanding" in your title description, because they are of a very "Bookshelf" type. Please do not confuse them with Liberty 5+, higher internal volume model, which are really a floorstanders.

OK, I bought them about a month ago, and every day I like them more and more! They are equipped with Vifa drivers, probably a factory option. I agree with most reviewers that they are the best option in the price range and beyond. Although their RRP in Serbia is above $500 per pair, I somehow bought them for just about $130, two years old, in "mint" state, absolutely as they were brand new. Hearing test showed wonderfull tonal color, deep powerfull bass and very natural mid frequencies reproduction. But, HF driver was audibly quieter, maybe some 3-4 dB, sounding a little bit muddy. Still, I was very pleased with overall impression (driven by Luxman 80W/ch amp) for the price.
Soon I discovered that in the filter section the tweeter was attenuated for 6dB, because there was a 8.2 Ohm resistor in series with the HP section of the filter! Since there are a bi-wiring terminals (attention, the upper pair drives the woofer!!!), I simply bridged the resistor, closed the box and tried with different resistor values connected directly to the terminals. In my opinion, 2.2 Ohm resistor gives the best, most natural, quite linear response. I suppose that this filters are designed for the different kind of speakers, Vifa drivers are matched to each other almost perfectly, no need to attenuate tweeter much!
Driving it with powerfull & still good sounding Yamaha AX-730 amp, they deliver surprisingly detailed, clean and deep sound, achieving loud levels with ease, but also very nice for quiet listening.

Pro: Big sound from small speaker, build quality (particularly vibration-free solid box), price...

Contra: Almost nothing for the price.

Thumb up, Eltax!

Submitted by pshuttle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I owned a pair of these for over a year and for the money you get one of the most solid cabinets I have ever seen along with an excellent sound for the money.

As a first set of starter speakers you would behard pushed to buy better than these. The Eltax's produce an altogether inviting and clean sound and will match any budget amp admirably.

I used my pair with a Cambridge Audio A4 amp for over a year and was very happy with the tight bass they produced and also the nice clean look they added to my hifi setup.

I also used them alongside my Marantz PM6010OSE amp but after spending so much on an amp I felt an upgrade in speakers was in order.

All in all a fine buy.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by Phil Mountain a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
brilliant budget speaker, very good for bassy tracks, with a high performance amp the treble is amazing

Purchased At:   Richersounds, leeds

Submitted by DT a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
Superb speakers. Deep powerful bass, the deepest I have heard from any speaker including floorstanders!! Clean extended treble. Natural uncoloured mids. Excellent finish: biwirable gold plated terminals, very good drivers, very solid resonance free cabinet. Trounce ALL of the competion. Ensure not too near walls. Needs solid stands.

If your living space can accomodate it, buy with confidence.

Purchased At:   Currys

Submitted by Rob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
I'm delightet with my speakers. They were exceptional value at £69, I guess thats about $80-90. The bass is better than my old speakers which used 8" bass drivers!

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds, Cambridge