Electro Voice Interface D Floorstanding Speakers

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)

12" 3-way speaker

Submitted by nottingc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased my D's back in 1980 for $2,200.00 worth every penny of it. The Interface D's can handle any style of music you throw at them from rock to classical. Not too many speakers can do that very well. The dynamics of the Electro-Voice Interface D's are astonishing you will feel and hear the bass. I believe that music should be felt as well as being heard, the D's can do this very well and with ease. The D's sound great even at low levels very clear and with an unbelieveable soundstage. 7 years ago I picked up anouther pair on EBay, had the woofer surrounds redone and off we went. I have decided to stack both pairs, one pair sits in the normal position and the other pair is inverted on top. Now when you are listening to music you are sitting in the front row not in the balcony, the sound is crazy. I have a friend that also has stacked D's and he would never part with them either. I have listened to alot of speakers from A/D/S to B & W too . . . . . . . you name it but nothing compairs to the overall preformance of the Electro-Voice Interface D and that's why I have 2 pairs!!

Strengths: Sound, soundstage, real bass,lifelike midrange, treble smoothness

Weakness: What, NOT

Submitted by marc in miami a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased my Interface D in 1976 back in Switzerland from a friend who worked in an Audio Lab. They had the pair for testing. One is US made the other build in SWITZERLAND. He was able to sell it to me for half the price. And said that this where one of the best speakers the lab ever tested. He also helped me to get a ‘Harman Kardon Citation 16’ power amp.
I’m not an Audiophile. It was pure luck. I did not know how good this equipment was until my power amp after 30 years died. Over the years I went through several pre amps. NAD, Nakamitchi, B&K Component. Like others I had to replace the rubber caskets on the bass speakers.
I replaced my power amp with a relatively inexpensive 2x150W one from a known brand with excellent reviews. It did not sound good at all. I returned it and got a Parasound A21 and Pre Amp. The high voltage power amp moves the speakers. Goosebumps, it sounds great again.
So if you see a pair of Interface D’s don’t let them get away.

Submitted by mssanto a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
I've owned these Centry's (EV Interface D's) since I loaded them off of EV's dock in Buchanan, MI back in 1976 at $350 using employee discount. I've had to have the gasket surrounds on both of the 12" speakers replaced twice now, but other than that they have performed beautifully all these years. I've had no problem with the equalizer - it's never hummed, as a couple of other reviewers have noted. PreAmp out to this equalizer then back into the main amp and they are cut off from anything below 28cycles. You can really feel these beauties. Although the cabinets are rather large, they can be placed in a corner without too much loss; a switch beside the midrange can then be thrown to compensate for this placement.
It has been a bit of a pain to lug these from Michigan to Arkansas, to N Carolina to Jalisco (MX) and now to TX, but I have never heard a cleaner sound; both the low and hi ends really do produce that "being there" experience. I can not imagine being without them.
I first used these with a Harman Kardon 40W/ amp (with pre amp out and main amp in jacks) in a 20' x 15' carpeted and draped living room. Other than in experimenting, I never turned this amp's power all the way up at - at 1/3 power you'd have to shout to be heard. At the wide-open volume setting these very efficent speakers - as the Century's owner's manual states, were "too damn load" - putting out 110db. Today I am using them with HK's AV354 and although also a smallish amp, it is impossible to overdrive the EV's - though the horn's will cut out if I go nuts (5W protection).
The walnut vernier, grills and and especially the flat black bases are showing their road-warrior status but the cabinets are still as solid as the first day I brought them home.
Some people leave a watch or a ring to their son. I'll be leaving 228 lbs. of magic.

Submitted by Anatoli from Moscow a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
Fantastic speakers.Best in the world midrange sound.

Purchased At:   E'bay USA

Submitted by Dan S a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
This speaker has amazing bass and imaging besides unbelievable detail. The music sounds together like if you are" there" expierencing the event. They also highly efficient you can drive them with tube amps (98db).

Purchased At:   used

Interface D equalizer search

Hi all....just got lucky enough to find some Interface D speakers by Electrovoice...been wanting some since I heard them first at the old Sight and Sound store in Munich Germany when I was in the army way back in the mid 70's....Anyway, the pair I got came without the equalizer box that was a part ... Read More »