Egglestonworks Andra
Description: (2)12" Woofers, (2)6" Mids and a 1" Cloth Dome Tweeter

Submitted by ilanjaco a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2012

Bottom Line:
This review the Andra 2

Bought used pair and cant be more happier

Listen to classic, jazz and rock music. They handle all very good !

Excellent high mid and low , full range indeed and high class sound all over

Excellent sound stage, dynamics and translation. What else can you ask ?

Compare it to the Salon, W/P, B&W 800 and other from those caliber, i found them more musical to my ears

Highly recommended if you lucky enough to find them in the used market

I push them with: HD files through highface (improtant: use asio4all driver ; huge difference ) connected to Bryston's stuff : BDA1 dac , BP20 pre and 7B monos

Submitted by iliketubes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought this pair of Andra I from a good audiophile friend as an accommodation and curiosity after reading the reviews of how decent these speakes were. Although I had some initial strange feelings about the bass response at his place I thought it had to do with space and placement.
After taking them home and setting them up in my own room they were still lacking bass response but I left it at that since the nature of my work is travelling out of the country often and really didn't have a lot of time to enjoy the music.
Little did I know when I decided to sell them to another audiophile friend that happened to own a pair that we put his and mine next to each other and compared them. My pair definitely was lacking in the bass response compared to his pair which was exactly the same model.
Subsequently I decided to contact Eggleston and inquired and was informed that the bass response could be improved by upgrading the crossovers to the Andra III which were quite expensive for what they are worth which I came to realize after receiving and paying for them.
Being an electronics engineer myself I would expect the task of changing the crossovers to be quite simple which in fact it is. BUT to my shock and surprise after removing the woofer and getting to the crossover connections it absolutely made no sense- in fact a factory miswiring of the the crossover which was connected in parallel to ALL the drivers. Mind you- everything was original and these speakers had never been tampered with or any of the drivers removed. Subsequently, I contacted Eggleston again and even mailed them the pictures and provided a drawing of the schematic of the crossover and the connections. I phoned and questioned one of their staff about the possible miswiring during production to perhaps a certain lot - he didn't deny or admit to anything and basically- NO COMMENT!
As a matter of fact, the original Andra I crossovers look better in quality and of higher specs than the Andra III crossovers which I paid an exorbitant price.
To those owners with the proper crossover connections these are decent speakers I must say and to those unfortunate owners like myself who mistook the "lacking of bass" problem to a defective component- have the connections checked and fixed without having to replace the crossovers and contribute to Eggleston's bank account. The simple fix is one end of the resistor should ONLY be connected to the woofer and not to all the drivers.
I gave my review of this company based on the lack of honesty, disclosure, responsibility and goodwill of any sort when a problem was of their own error and mostly likely poor quality control.

Submitted by Aurel00 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2009

Bottom Line:
THIS REVIEW IS ABOUT THE ANDRA III

I have owned quite a lot of high-end speakers and heard most of them. I have spent the last year listening to as many systems as I could. Some of them were excellent. But each time, there was a "little something" that was not perfect. Not long ago, the miracle happened! Listening to the Egglestoneworks Andra III was a fascinating experience. A few minutes were enough to understand that something very special was happening. I could use many words but, as English is not my mother language, let me make is short: it was just indiscernible from the live experience! I have bought the speakers that are now at home, getting even better each day.

The Bass extensions is just incredible (-3db@18Hz !!!), the power, physical impact, speed and deepness in the extreme low frequencies is just beyond words !
The medium is extremely refined. It is truly the first time in my audiophile life I hear such a lively and natural violin sound. Human voices are also just like "real ones".
Finally the high-frequencies are just fantastic. Without this "sharp edge" I have experienced with my previous speakers using a diamond dome. Very detailed but never aggressive.

The coherence of the registers is so convincing that one immediately forgets about the speakers and gets involved in the music itself.

Is it the best speaker I have heard to date (including some costing $ 100000)? YES !
Is it really truly perfect? Probably not! The efficiency, for example, is good but not huge (I would not use a SET amp).

Both as a researcher in physics (this is my job) and as a music lover (this is my main hobby), I give those speakers my highest recommendation. Andra I and Andra II were "full range stereophile class A", I have no doubt the Andra III will also be (will they create the A+ range for them :-) ?) !

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by R Lee a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I can't believe someone claim there is no bass! These speaker has a lot top quality bass, tight, deep and low!
The speaker's midrange is the best I have never heard, because there is no crossover in the path, your amp have direct control of the midrange drivers. I believe this is reason why the midrange sound much better than other similar or even much more expensive speakers. The highs are to die for, crystal clear. Plenty of air around the instrument. great sound stage and presentation!
These speaker is the fastest I have ever heard! But please supply a lot of top quality power, the damping factor also need to be high to make these speaker sound their best!
This is a top choice speaker disregard of price on the market today!

Submitted by M Chang a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a super mid size speaker with huge sound stage. Very powerful, lighting fast, solid bass, natural midrange (no cross work on midrange. the best midrange you can get!), transparent highs!
This speaker enjoy a lot power from the power amp, can be used with solid state or tubes gear.
It is not cheap, but compare with all other class "A" speaker, this is a steal. Much better than watt/puppy. It a better speaker than speakers twice or more of the price. Top quality! Highly recommanded!