Dynaudio Focus 220 Floorstanding Speakers

4.44/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $3000.00

For a dynamic power delivery in the bass region, this slim floor-standing loudspeaker relies on two mid/bass drivers from the completely newly developed Esotec+ generation. By employing a double-magnet motor system with ultra-compressed Ferrite magnets, dramatic musical passages are reproduced without compromise. And with increased cone excursion, even the most powerful transients are delivered without compression.

Submitted by michael a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2012

Bottom Line:
There are a lot of comments on the 220s lack of bite at the top and their flabby bass justified?

I tend to agree initially,but not until I sat down and brainstorm about it. They are indeed dynamic speakers which I use that to my advantage. You can insert straws in their ports for a tighter and quicker sound. I instead searched for a more permanent solution . I mate them with the excellent LAT SS-1000. ( see my reviews on the speaker cables column for more details) changed their stock spikes to the Herbies beautiful stainless steel ones.Thereby eliciting a much more detailed version(understatement actually) from upper registers to the deepest bass that are even much better than the showroom versions!

I am glad I had purchased the mark 1 version which are both lower priced and sonically more suited to my taste . This goes to show how sensitive these speakers are to the changes made further up the audio chain . They are not slow and cumbersome what the others made them up to be . You really need to match them synergistically with your other hi fi gear to enjoy their remarkable sound.

For my money these dynas are fine value for money,with solid built good finishing ,and a tasteful design to match!

My setup as follows:
Phonograph end- VPI Classic Grado, Sonata cart , extensively modified outboard power supply(for incredible improvement in sound staging and dynamism) Pro-ject tube phonostage. i/c Homegrown pure silver and Synergistic cables(both very good value)
AET HCR powercord (smoothness and detail)

Digital end-Moon cd 1 ,extensively modified Beachmark DAC1 (frankly I can not detect any improvement with whatever you do to this dac ,meaning ? you get it for what it is-save$$!)
Oyaide pure silver digital cable, i/c are LAT IC-300 MK2 and AET HCR powercords.

Pre and power amps are by Bryston with LAT AC2 and Oyaide Tsunami power cables ,all are plugged into a custom made isolation transformer (for black background noise)

The 1300 ft2 area is acoustically treated to elicit a more accurate sonic rendering-the Dynas really sing if the rooms are well treated!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by peterl69 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2008

Bottom Line:
I have tried numerous speakers looking for the sound that pleased me. Some I rejected perhaps unfairly before realizing it was my Rotel amp that was harsh in the upper midrange, not the speakers. But overall, after some gear switching it came down to the Dali Helicon and Dynaudio Focus. The Dalis were a bit more open and detailed at the top and the Dynaudios to me were a little smoother and less fatiging and had a very "meaty" natural sounding full midrange. It was a tough decision based on my liking of a slightly more laid back sound.

I temporarily ended my search with a pair of Focus 140s which for me had what I wanted which was floor standing speaker sound in moniter speakers. They have the best bass in quality and quantity that I have heard in monitors, a wonderful rich organic midrange, and smooth yet detailed highs and easily equaled many floor standers in overall output.

I then decided more is better and ordered some Focus 220s. To my surprise, they were only a little better in the bass, which in a way was good since the Focus 140s were already great and I didn't want to overdo it. What was even a little more surprising is that I noticed a slightly more forward upper midrange with the Focus 220s. With my musical and slightly laid back Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista M3 amplifier the slightly more forward midrange enhanced the sound and put more brass in the brass and edge in female vocals without being fatiging. I am sure for my ear, if I had the more forward upper midrange effect through the already forward Parasound or Rotel Amps, I would have not liked this.

In other words, over the Focus 140s, the Focus 220s made music slightly more engaging through my musical and slightly laid back amp - Neal Youngs voice sounded more as it should, with only a slightly annoying rebellious tenor twang, etc.

Purchased At:   theaudioarchitect.co

Submitted by Roy Marley a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
Dear friends, sorry me but these speakers are not really hi-end class equipaments.
I feel that Dynaudio has left to design good speakers.
The speakers tested are used, and I took it from a friend just for testing with my system.
The bass are false, as are in the most part of the actual speakers from Dynaudio. This is the number one point that Dynaudio users feel problems. The distortion is too high in the low frequencies.. I have measured more than 11% in 50Hz (99.4 dB SPL - Sine Wave). It is not acceptable.
Frequency response is not so bad, but could be better for its price. The minimum impedance was about 3,1ohms, and it is not good for all amplifiers and receivers. Dynaudio should improve this characteristic. The low cost crossovers and low sensitivity of the speakers must have a check in order to solve this problem. I do not recommend to use these speakers in 8 or 6 ohms equipaments.
Talking about sensitivity, most Dynaudio speakers are very inefficient, with sensitivities near 80 dB/w/m, and this combined with their low impedance require high power amplifiers, and we know that high powers don´t combine with high quality sound. Good power amplifiers cost much more than these speakers, and are usually used with best class speakers.
Sometimes it seems that Dynaudio has stopped in time some years ago, and can not see that the equipaments have improved.
The midrange and high frequencies are correct, but not so extended in highs. The competitors ih this range are showing best performances with the use of new or improved components for domes. Diamond, aluminium, titanium, Beryllium and others are showing best performance than the old softdome.
But the level of quality of the high and midrange frequences can be enough for home cinema, where I think these speakers are more recommended.
It is clear that the design of these speakers was based on the old Contours. It was not a good idea even the old range was out of date concerning the actual technology of equipaments.
I believe you can find a lot of better speakers in this price range (try Quad or new 600 B&W series).
Sorry me again, but this is my opinion.

Submitted by Romulus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have heard these speakers only on a demo using Naim CDX, Naim NAC 205 (pre amplifier) and NAP 200 (power amplifier). Previously (in other dealer shops) with the same system I have tried out Neat Momentum 3i (standmounts), 4i (floorstands) and Naim Allae (floorstands)-all these speakers were good match (in different ways) to Naim electronics. However the Dynaudio 220 speakers produced for me the 'wow' factor (for first time on demo on speakers) on certain tracks. Moment I heard them what grabbed me was the deep powerful bass, the pace rhythm and timing was spot on. The texture of the vocals was a delight to listen and the accompanying instruments sounded so natural. The midrange had wonderful detail presented in a smooth way but not loosing out on excitement or emotion of the piece of music. The speakers presented a defnite soundstage and one could position the singer, guitars, the drummer and other musicians. The music is wonderfully integrated as to bass midrange and treble.This was the first time I heard such a rich sound using Naim electronics and such a unexpected suprise. I played all types of music from classical to rock and the speakers presented the music in such a musical way with wonderful timbre/texteure to instruments and vocals.. If I had a chance I would of replayed my entire CD collection to re descover the music. My only nagging thought was that the bass was a little strong but i will book another demo to make my mind up (just an excuse to hear those speakers again!)

Purchased At:   0

Submitted by Tommy S. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2007

Bottom Line:
These speakers are the biggest bang for the buck out there!!!

Purchased At:   hi end stereo shop

Dynaudio Focus 220 vs Gallo Ref 3

Any thoughts on these particular models or on Gallo sound vs Dynaudio sound in general?Read More »