Dynaudio Audience 60 Floorstanding Speakers

4.85/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

6.5" Woofer and 1-1/8" Tweeter

Submitted by Bill a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
Top notch sound quality all the way. Basically a neutral speaker that is very sensitive to its partnering equipment. I was originally running a mid-level Yamaha receiver with them (about 80 watts per channel), but the Dynaudios really came to life once I hooked them up to my new separates (about 150 watts per channel into the 4 ohm load). These speakers like to draw current, and when I upgraded from my Monster M-series cables to Monster Z-2 Reference cables, the difference was night and day. The Dynaudio tweeter is superb -- as other posters have noted, it is very detailed without ever really becoming harsh. The bass unit, basically a 6.5 incher, is similarly outstanding, offering good fairly tight bass extension in my listening room; no, it won't give you that "in the chest" impact of a good sub, but its still impressive for a small floorstander in this price range. Sounds good with rock, classical, jazz; you name it, it can play it. Not quite as "sweet" sounding as my Sennheiser headphones, but probably more accurate sounding. The vinyl finish is nothing special, but it isn't any worse than any other similar type of finish and it looks better than quite a few others. Real wood would have been nice, but would undoubtedly have added much to the cost, and the boxes seem very solidly constructed. All in all, I feel that these are the best value going.

Submitted by Lars a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I just received these about an hour ago, and I must admit that I am very pleasantly surprised. As someone who has been a loyal Dynaudio fan for years, I just downgraded from a pair of Contour 1.3 mkIIs (yeah that's right, we're deep in a recession), and I really wasn't expecting that much since these come from Dynaudio's budget Audience line. Boy, was I wrong. There is no doubt that the Contours are more detailed, and they better be for twice the price retail, but the sonic character of both is very similar, which is to say that they are both very close to tonally neutral without ever sounding fatiguing or bright. But these image at least as well as the Contours and also play deeper.

Some of the previous reviewers have been critical of the vinyl finish, but I'm not sure I agree. Mine are finished in rosewood vinyl, and they aren't that easily distinguishable from the real rosewood veneer of my Contours unless carefully inspected. The fit and finish of the vinyl is first-rate. And the cabinets that they cover are also remarkably solid and inert for speakers weighing just 38 lbs. each. Another sign of quality construction.

These speakers are a stunning engineering achievement, and the scary part is that they aren't even broken in yet. I can only assume that they will improve with age, and I'm grinning about these speakers as I write this.

Purchased At:   ListenUp.com

Submitted by Kevin Kim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
To be honest, I have never heard about Dynaudio before. I just stopped by a local audio dealer for my new front speaker, and they were auditioning this speaker.
I was surprised. I was thinking about some B&W speaker, but I got Dynaudio. If you are considering to buy a main speaker, please try Dynaudio. However, you need a powerful amplifier.

Purchased At:   local audio dealer

Submitted by Timothy Coughlin a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
After shopping for six months, I settled on DynAudios as my speaker system. Can't go wrong.

Purchased At:   Internet

Submitted by Ben Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
These are the best speakers you can get for the $1000 price range. Even though not broken in yet, they sound pretty good. I listened to the B&W CDM 1nts (the new bookshelf, can't quite remember the exact model #) and was really disappointed. Nothing else comes close at this price. The cabinets could be better - and they are on the new Audience 62s.

help:Dynaudio Audience 60 vs kef reference model one‏

i'm looking to buy on of theses sets used. i have read all the reviews and they seem equal. i'm looking for a great sounding speaker that has bright highs and good amount of bass. i'll be running these through a denon 2809. i want to buy asap so any feed back would be great/ thanksRead More »