Duntech Princess Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Martin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
These speakers are simply breath taking. Never have I sat in from of a pair ok speakers and felt that I have never heard musci before. It made my resonably expensive old speakers sound like a pile of junk. They are simply amazing and I keep thinking that I need another pair just in case the un forgivable happens to them. I am even of the thinking if I were to get married I would go to the length of putting them solely in a prenu, so I could never be parted from them.

Submitted by Genesis a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2006

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Crown Prince model, later replaced by Princess.
Having owned a pair of Genesis APM-1s for quite some time, I began looking for something more refined and musical. After drawing up a shortlist I finally decided on Duntech's Crown Prince (PCL 1000). After a lengthy search I managed to locate a pair and close a deal. They were delivered two months ago and I have been practically living in my listening room ever since. I take all advertising slogans with a healthy pinch of salt, but "The world's most accurate speakers" seems to be a fair representation of their sonic performance. My pair is 19 years old, but all 4 bass drivers have recently been refurbished by Dynaudio and the crossover reconstructed. The main difference between these speakers and my previous ones is that the sound the Duntechs make is, for want of a better word, "organic", while the APM-1s are showy and "in your face". They cover practically the entire spectrum, going down to approximately 25 Hz, and doing this in style. The Morel tweeters deliver plenty of high quality details, seamlessly merging with a natural and rich midrange. All this is set on a bass foundation that is both tight and powerful. While I realise that Duntech's flagship - the Soverign, delivers more in the bass department, the Crown Prince is more suited to classical music and music played on accoustic instruments. Having said that, when I put on Deep Purple's "Made in Japan" on vinyl, I was almost transported in time to the hall in Osaka. The reproduction of human voice is also exceptional, with every shade and nuance put before the listener on a plate. All in all, a great product which proves that proper design and application can be timeless. So, if you can get a pair in good condition for up to USD 2,500, buy them and your quest for perfect speakers may well be over. Mine certainly is.
However, to really appreciate their full potential, you need a large and accoustically adapted room and powerful amplification plus decent cables.
My room is 8 m x 6 m x 3 m and professionally adapted.
The rest of the system comprises:
McIntosh C41

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   On-off-hifi.de

Submitted by Vin Esposito a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a great natural sounding speaker. The Princess sounds better than the Dunlavy IVs that I heard at an audio show. These speakers can do everything well.

Other Equipment:

Crown MacoSeries Amp
Harmonic Technology Cables and Interconnects
Hitachi DVD/CD HDCD,24/96

Purchased At:   Soundex

Submitted by Nathan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is my first system since crappy Bose 601's and a B&O amp from the seventies. The speakers were second hand and had been abused so I relpaced all drivers through Duntech and since then moved house so the sound has changed dramatically since I first got them. They sound amazing playing acustic guitar and vocals and with serisly blow your windows out if you play something like Bjork. They will castrate a bad recording though, as they are so accurate.
I like them and will hang onto them for a long while.
gear:
Krell KSA150 amp
Classe Audio four pre amp
Denon DVD5000 CD/DVD player
Audio researh balanced interconnects
QED silver bi wire

Submitted by Layla a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
Purchased these speakers direct from Duntech. Thank you Mr. James Alexander for the wonderful service not to mention for making an excellent product.

I finally decided on the Princess after extensively auditioning the Dunlavy SC4A and 5. The Dunlavys sounded too technically correct that it wasn't musical anymore. It never drew me to the music no matter how hard I tried. The Princess on the other hand sounded so natural and and correct that my wife had to drag me out of my listening room. Furthermore, you could see the construction of the Princess as first rate. Hand rubbed wood cabinets as opposed to cheap laminate on the Dunlavy. I wanted to get the Dunlavy since we had a distributor here. However, going through the hassle of ordering the Duntech and having them shipped was worth it.

I agree that the Duntechs have been designed and engineered correctly from the beginning. No more upgrades and imrpovements to different series which is frustrating for us buyers.

My system:
Mark Levinson 380S
Mark Levinson 336
Theta CD player ( due for replacement)

My Princess Boy

I wanted to supply this link to anyone who works with children or knows someone who does. I have never been a parent but I know parents who have had to struggle with their child who is just different. [url]http://www.myprincessboy.com/[/url] I was impressed by the family who had the courage t ... Read More »